College Free Agents

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Saw this on TSN:

"With NCAA free agent Andrej Sustr signing with Tampa last week, the top available collegiate free agent is now Western Michigan defender Danny DeKeyser.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported via Twitter that DeKeyser might also be close to making a decision on his NHL future."

I know the Devils have obviously signed college free agents in the past but I am curious why we don't hear more about it, or the possibility of the Devils trying to land the more well known prospects. I'm sure there is a valid reason or something I am missing.

Either way just curious

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
We don't sign these high end guys because they demand the max they can make on a entry level ELC coming out of college. They ask for playing time right away..and they are all unproven.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
We don't sign these high end guys because they demand the max they can make on a entry level ELC coming out of college. They ask for playing time right away..and they are all unproven.

Plus this organization is notoriously tight-lipped about its various maneuvers. Lou doesn't muddy waters by allowing stuff to leak to the press at every opportunity.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know the Devils have obviously signed college free agents in the past but I am curious why we don't hear more about it, or the possibility of the Devils trying to land the more well known prospects. I'm sure there is a valid reason or something I am missing

A lot of these guys can demand performance bonuses on top of their ELC. Lou held a hard line with Adam Larsson regarding the organization's stance against bonuses (for rookies?). That takes us out of the running for a lot of the "top" guys.

Nowdays, I feel like a lot of NCAA free agents are being overhyped as a result of our brains being melted by Twitter (and I'll admit to buying into Matt Gilroy when he first turned pro). Most of these guys being signed will provide depth for the minors. But there seems to be this expectation that these guys can be plugged into your top six immediately. Philly got one in Matt Read, but there are plenty of other recent guys who are still getting traction in the AHL.

apice3*

These guys have done not proven a thing, have not been drafted because prior to this year they weren't NHL caliber, and then demand high salaries and immediate playing time from desperate teams. Most of them don't live up to the hype despite already having ridiculously low ceilings. Lou is very smart for passing on these guys.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
the only college free agent worth signing it seems, are ones who are okay with being in the minors and getting better there, than as a stepping stone to the NHL

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
These guys have done not proven a thing, have not been drafted because prior to this year they weren't NHL caliber, and then demand high salaries and immediate playing time from desperate teams. Most of them don't live up to the hype despite already having ridiculously low ceilings. Lou is very smart for passing on these guys.

Some guys develop at different rates. Not everybody is going to be on NHL radar by the time their draft eligibility runs out at age 20. But like you said, most of the guys signed will just be minor league depth guys and there's nothing wrong with that. Once in awhile you'll get a John Madden, Brian Rafalski, or even an Andy Greene. We did sign Keith Kinkaid a couple years ago when he was a 'top' undrafted guy.

These guys have to sign ELCs (unless they're older than 25 off the top of my head), so you'd only be breaking the bank if they unexpectedly made an NHL impact.

It's supposedly an average/below average crop of NCAA free agents this year. So I wouldn't be too despondent if the Devils come up empty handed. We'll see if there are any undrafted Europeans worth taking a look at. In particular, there's a goalie in Finland named Antti Raanta that put up a fantastic season. Haven't seen him play but word is that he's looking at the KHL or North America next season.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
the only college free agent worth signing it seems, are ones who are okay with being in the minors and getting better there, than as a stepping stone to the NHL

Those are the ones who do well with us. We have picked up a few here and there though. Butler was a former NCAA UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad