Confirmed Trade: [COL/NSH] Colin Wilson for 2019 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Spin it that way if you want lol

Truth is, he didn't get bought out, he's 27, a quality middle-6 player, and not a cap dump, Nashville just needs cap space for other things. We have cap to waste anyways and need some older not useless roster players for the coming season.

That doesn't really fit your narrative though, does it?

It's interesting how my informed opinion of him and his contract is dismissed as "spin" by you because it doesn't fit your narrative as a fan who wants to be optimistic about the acquisition. You have a right to be optimistic, since he's not a bad player and he could really benefit from a fresh start, but don't presume to tell me the "truth" of the matter. It absolutely was a cap dump. It's not a coincidence that it happened on the biggest spending day of the year and a day that Nashville has been the most active team in the league.

Being a cap dump doesn't mean that you're a bad player with nothing to offer a team. It simply means that you were traded because you make too much money, and that's absolutely the reason that Wilson was traded. If he were making a million and a half less, he'd most likely still be on the Preds, since they would've liked to have kept him if he were more affordable. I'm not sure why that's a threat to your narrative, especially since you admitted that your team has "cap to waste."

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There was a guy in the JVR to nas thread that said he wouldnt trade this guy straight up for JVR because
He id cheaper (250k) lol

A 4th rd pick? Brutal

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wanted Sakic to get in on a cap dump with the roster space and cap room they have and need for assets/picks. I was apparently giving them too much credit assuming they knew that the pick goes the other way in a cap dump deal. :facepalm:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I wanted Sakic to get in on a cap dump with the roster space and cap room they have and need for assets/picks. I was apparently giving them too much credit assuming they knew that the pick goes the other way in a cap dump deal. :facepalm:

He's a good player though, not some useless player on an awful contract.

Like the Avs got a solid winger(a position of need) for a 4th.

I don't see how you could view that as an issue unless your are really trying to be cynical about it.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Spin it that way if you want lol

Truth is, he didn't get bought out, he's 27, a quality middle-6 player, and not a cap dump, Nashville just needs cap space for other things. We have cap to waste anyways and need some older not useless roster players for the coming season.

That doesn't really fit your narrative though, does it?

hes a cap dump for sure, from Nashville's POV.

for Colorado, he's a relatively low risk reclamation project, as long as you don't need his cap space in the next two years.

Hes not garbage, but what he has given the Preds in all but his one "contract" season isn't worth keeping for a team looking to make another cup run

I am pleased the Preds didn't have to retain salary.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Should be tight, but doable. Plus if they include one of their D-men in the deal a few million will be going out the door.

forget it.

Preds got out of the Duchene race when they signed Bonino, and we were not ever trading one of our top 4 D no matter what.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's a good player though, not some useless player on an awful contract.

Like the Avs got a solid winger(a position of need) for a 4th.

I don't see how you could view that as an issue unless your are really trying to be cynical about it.

It is a terrible contract and there's no need to explain the dire asset situation. Using cap space was their one chance to acquire assets since they couldn't get any at the deadline and at the draft and not only couldn't they do that but gave up one as well. But it's fine, we just operate on a year to year basis as it is anyway.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
It is a terrible contract and there's no need to explain the dire asset situation. Using cap space was their one chance to acquire assets since they couldn't get any at the deadline and at the draft and not only couldn't they do that but gave up one as well. But it's fine, we just operate on a year to year basis as it is anyway.

plenty of time for that 'coveted' 4th round pick to be replaced. In fact unless he falls off a cliff in his late 20's, Wilson should fetch us at least a 4th round at the trade deadline this season or next. We get a solid depth player on a team with no depth on a short contract for a future asset that carries little value, and will most likely be recuperated.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
plenty of time for that 'coveted' 4th round pick to be replaced. In fact unless he falls off a cliff in his late 20's, Wilson should fetch us at least a 4th round at the trade deadline this season or next. We get a solid depth player on a team with no depth on a short contract for a future asset that carries little value, and will most likely be recuperated.

That's a lot of assuming for a team that has shown no aptitude for recuperating at the deadline. Plus even with his contract prorated he's still going to have a high price tag even at the deadline. That also assumes his value doesn't crater like most over 25 players who join the Avs. if all one cares about is the product on the ice next season then sure, it's an improvement.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
That's a lot of assuming for a team that has shown no aptitude for recuperating at the deadline. Plus even with his contract prorated he's still going to have a high price tag even at the deadline. That also assumes his value doesn't crater like most over 25 players who join the Avs. if all one cares about is the product on the ice next season then sure, it's an improvement.

They certainly haven't been sellers much lately. At some point its got to be important to roll out a decent product on the ice. We dont need to subject the new youngsters to the same morale destroying crappiness the previous crops have been desensitized to.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I get why we made this deal, but it's a win for the Avs as well. Wilson is a capable NHLer. The odds of a fourth rounder turning into that are very low.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Do I want to see us doing this often? No. But he's a solid young 3rd liner who could be part of the team beyond just the 2 years left on his contract. We need to ice a team, and having NHL calibre players vs guys like Grigs or Colborne in the lineup is a plus.

A 4th in 2019 is nothing to give up, it's not like he's 35. But I know TV is big on stock piling draft picks, not that I disagree with that at all but this isn't a big enough trade to impact us long term like that, imo.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wilson is an overpaid 3rd line guy. Poile signed him and Craig Smith to 4 mil contracts to play top 6 and they neither showed up after they cashed in. The Aves have far better players than Wilson. If all you want is a 3rd liner and your comfortable paying the guy 8 mil for two while he struggles to approach 30 points. I just do not see how this is a positive thing.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

2 years at 3.9 for a 2nd line winger is a terrible contract now?

Very respectfully, I'm not sure that point of view is very realistic.

If we were seeing many other teams doing cap dump deals, maybe I'd give it more weight, but I can't think of a single one that has happened.

However what we are seeing is truly bad contracts being handed out left and right and other mid round players like Johansson going for far far more.

I think viewing this deal as bad is more your own personal wishes and feelings getting in the way of what is actually going on.

Again I say that with full respect, that is just my personal view on the situation.

Also even if you are against it, the chances that he will be able to be flipped in a year for greater than a what he cost at the TDL is quite high.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Wilson is an overpaid 3rd line guy. Poile signed him and Craig Smith to 4 mil contracts to play top 6 and they neither showed up after they cashed in. The Aves have far better players than Wilson. If all you want is a 3rd liner and your comfortable paying the guy 8 mil for two while he struggles to approach 30 points. I just do not see how this is a positive thing.

Wilson's underlying numbers are that of a 2nd liner that plays a 3rd liner role, while he can be a tad inconsistent he is solid all around and the Avs certainly do not have better players than him.

Rene Bourque got top 6 time last year often. Adding another winger was a definite need.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Wilson is very underrated. Sure, he's had a lot of ups and downs, whether it's injuries or inconsistencies. Avs are very fortunate to have him.

But from Poile's POV i don't get this move if they end up having ~5M cap space come October. For a team looking to get to the finals again, and with Colin's playoff resume, you'd much rather have him on the team than cap space.

I guess he saw enough from their kids in the playoffs and is sure that all of them will make the team and contribute. But i don't get what the downside was to be patience with Wilson and if they ended up needing the cap space, then dump him. It's not like the Avs are spending anywhere near the cap anyway, if im Sakic i take Wilson for (basically) free any time.

If Wilson manages to stay healthy for the Avs i think with increased role he'll be a target for many contending teams @ the TDL. He's just a playoff type player.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think that the people who keep repeating the mantra that 2 years for a decent NHL winger understand the fact that it's still a strange case of asset mgmt when that NHL winger can be had for cheaper in free agency or at least brought in with salary retained since the other team is offloading a sizable cap hit.

I never had a problem with the deal since I like Colin Wilson, I just don't get why we need to be trading a pick for him when Nashville is getting an overpaid guy off their books.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't think that the people who keep repeating the mantra that 2 years for a decent NHL winger understand the fact that it's still a strange case of asset mgmt when that NHL winger can be had for cheaper in free agency or at least brought in with salary retained since the other team is offloading a sizable cap hit.

I never had a problem with the deal since I like Colin Wilson, I just don't get why we need to be trading a pick for him when Nashville is getting an overpaid guy off their books.

We scratch their back, they return the favour with Fiala + Fabbro + Ekholm.

:sarcasm:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I think Wilson is very underrated. Sure, he's had a lot of ups and downs, whether it's injuries or inconsistencies. Avs are very fortunate to have him.

But from Poile's POV i don't get this move if they end up having ~5M cap space come October. For a team looking to get to the finals again, and with Colin's playoff resume, you'd much rather have him on the team than cap space.

I guess he saw enough from their kids in the playoffs and is sure that all of them will make the team and contribute. But i don't get what the downside was to be patience with Wilson and if they ended up needing the cap space, then dump him. It's not like the Avs are spending anywhere near the cap anyway, if im Sakic i take Wilson for (basically) free any time.

If Wilson manages to stay healthy for the Avs i think with increased role he'll be a target for many contending teams @ the TDL. He's just a playoff type player.

Is he a "playoff type player", or is he a guy that has lots of hot streaks and two of them happened to coincide with the postseason? I think it's the latter.

18 points in 20 games over two postseasons. 6 points in 27 games over the other 4 postseasons.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is he a "playoff type player", or is he a guy that has lots of hot streaks and two of them happened to coincide with the postseason? I think it's the latter.

18 points in 20 games over two postseasons. 6 points in 27 games over the other 4 postseasons.

Well 13 of those games were played in 09-12 during his first years in the league. I don't know if it's fair to count those right now.

22 points in 34 games last 3 years is very good production especially considering he was dealing with an injury in this years playoffs.

But production aside, i was more referring to what his strengths are and how they fit into the playoffs. He's got good size, strong, works hard 2-way, goes to the net and to the dirty areas.. and for the type of player he is he's actually got pretty decent hockey sense as well. When he was drafted he was considered to have good leadership qualities so stepping up in big moments is part of his identity. I think if you ask any Preds fan they will say he's been a playoff warrior for them.

It's just the fact that he's consistently banged up that's hurt his development over the years and maybe he hasn't had the type of consistency throughout the course of a season you'd hope for. But that can always change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad