Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Chase Bradley signs ELC with the Avalanche (2 years, $872.5k AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Interesting... aren't his rights still with Detroit?
Or is this one of those Justin Schultz, "I'm leaving school early" deals?

Thank you, I was about to ask the same question. I thought he was an NCAA Red Wings prospect until August 15, 2025.

Could Cap Friendly be wrong? Blame Washington.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Thank you, I was about to ask the same question. I thought he was an NCAA Red Wings prospect until August 15, 2025.

Could Cap Friendly be wrong? Blame Washington.

Here is the likely relevant CBA passage - with my own emphasis to highlight where Bradley actually plays into it
CBA 8.6 (c) College Players. (ii) said:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft
, and does
not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his
college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the
negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following
his selection in the Entry Draft
, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central
Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college
student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student
on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his
fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA
eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to
graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to
retain such rights.

Bradley was 18 when drafted, went back to juniors the following year, but then committed to college by the next June.
He has only played 3 years though, so I am assuming he declared his intent to leave school and turn pro, which triggers the "does not remain a bona fide college student" part.
Depending on when he declared is sort of irrelevant, as free agents can't sign between June 1 and July 1 anyway, but this past June 1, 2024 would've been the fourth June 1 after his draft.
The rest of the passage doesn't apply as it's not past January 1 of his 4th year.

So, I am guessing he told Detroit and the NHL Central Registry his intent to de-register from school (making him UFA before the default Aug. 15 date) but it never made it to the media.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Here is the likely relevant CBA passage - with my own emphasis to highlight where Bradley actually plays into it

Bradley was 18 when drafted, went back to juniors the following year, but then committed to college by the next June.
He has only played 3 years though, so I am assuming he declared his intent to leave school and turn pro, which triggers the "does not remain a bona fide college student" part.
Depending on when he declared his sort of irrelevant, as free agents can't sign between June 1 and July 1 anyway, but this past past June 1, 2024 would've been the 4th June 1 after his draft.
The rest of the passage doesn't apply as it's not past January 1 of his 4th year.

So, I am guessing he told Detroit and the NHL Central Registry his intent to de-register from school (making him UFA before the default Aug. 15 date) but it never made it to the media.

Awesome stuff, thanks! These rules could stand to be slightly less complex, yes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad