Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Erik Brannstrom signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $900k)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Very Avs like to target a guy like that with good underlying numbers

His advanced stats look good because of his role. It's the same reason everybody was gaga for Chris Wideman when he was on Ottawa.

He is a good pro hockey player, but his shortcomings will prevent him from being an NHLer long term. He will be a superstar in just about every other league in the world.

Ironically, he looked really good as a winger for a few games, but he seemed rightfully upset about having to play forward.

If he succeeds in Colorado, that would be fantastic. He was never going to make it in Ottawa.

He plays with an edge, but he is too small and not a fast enough defenseman for playoff hockey. He will be eaten alive on the forecheck if he ever has to play against top competition. His role in the NHL would be as a sheltered #6 D who can QB a 2nd PP unit. The best spot for him would have been a rebuilding team who does not have a PP QB but has some offensive talent on their top unit.

Depending on how deep Colorado's D is this year, he may not play every night.

Reactions: kanucks25

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Surprised he got a deal. He kinda sucks..

If he was 5 inches taller and a slightly faster skater he would play 500 games in the NHL as a bottom pairing guy.

He is incredibly overrated because he was a tremendous prospect with a very strong rookie year in the AHL at a young age, but he could never translate his game to the NHL, even in Ottawa where there were plenty of opportunities for him to steal a top 4 spot. They only traded for Chychrun last year. He will be the type of pro who is a superstar in every other league but probably can't justify continually taking a crack at the NHL for low 1-way money or 2-way money.

There were multiple players who made, advanced, or saved their career by taking advantage of the wide open defense on Ottawa like Mark Borowiecki, Mike Reilly, and Dylan Demelo. The brass ring was there for Brannstrom to take. Some of the fanbase has a martyr perception with him because his sheltered role gives him those Wideman advance stats, and people don't realize that if he was playing 22 minutes a night against top competition that the JPEG of his JFresh card wouldn't even load.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think he will probably have a chance to do well in a sheltered, limited regular season role. Cheap depth.

Probably not a guy who is gonna see much ice time in the WC playoffs.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not a perfect fit for a bottom-pairing because he can't really help on special teams. The offence never translated to the point where he can be relied on to help the PP and his (lack of) size/strength mean he's never going to be a fit on the PK where boxing guys out is important.

All that being said, he's an underrated 5v5 defender and can really help with the transition game. Would be at his best next to a big hulking guy who can take care of the net front in the D zone. I'm assuming Manson is going to play top-four minutes and that's not where you want Brannstrom, but in theory that's the right kind of partner for him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
outperformed Chabot and Chychrun on way too many nights.

I don't think this is a fair comparison when you consider how different their deployment was.

A lot of sheltered bottom pair puck movers become favourites of the analytic/hardcore fans, because they look great playing 15 minutes a night against easy competition, especially on the road.

Brannstrom at 900k is a perfectly fine signing, but Avalanche fans should expect a 6th-7th D who can play 15 minutes a night, not the player the Senators through Brannstrom would become when they acquired him after he tore up the AHL. I could see him possibly playing a bigger role in the regular season and doing okay if all the stars align, but I'm not bullish on it. I also think he is someone who probably gets scratched in the playoffs, not because he isn't physically engaging, he actually does play with an edge, I think he is just too small at defense for playoff hockey.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I guess this keeps Malinski in the AHL another year.
Not exactly stiff competition on the bottom pair plus no extra D pushing for a spot if injuries come up. If he doesn't suck he'll get his chance

I don't think this is a fair comparison when you consider how different their deployment was.

A lot of sheltered bottom pair puck movers become favourites of the analytic/hardcore fans, because they look great playing 15 minutes a night against easy competition, especially on the road.

Brannstrom at 900k is a perfectly fine signing, but Avalanche fans should expect a 6th-7th D who can play 15 minutes a night, not the player the Senators through Brannstrom would become when they acquired him after he tore up the AHL. I could see him possibly playing a bigger role in the regular season and doing okay if all the stars align, but I'm not bullish on it. I also think he is someone who probably gets scratched in the playoffs, not because he isn't physically engaging, he actually does play with an edge, I think he is just too small at defense for playoff hockey.
Works for me. Our top 4 is set, we just need a bottom pair guy and not one that has to log many minutes either. We can pick up an extra D at the deadline for playoffs.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not exactly stiff competition on the bottom pair plus no extra D pushing for a spot if injuries come up. If he doesn't suck he'll get his chance

Works for me. Our top 4 is set, we just need a bottom pair guy and not one that has to log many minutes either. We can pick up an extra D at the deadline for playoffs.

He is a good signing. I don't want to seem like I am trashing the guy.

I'm sure the Senators would have been happy to keep him at 900k, but he had no reason to stay there as a UFA and his QO was 2M.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

i mean even when Brannstrom played top 4 minutes he looked a lot steadier and a lot smarter than Chabot or Chychrun.

Just look at the Brannstrom-Zub pairing. Small sample size sure, but it was one of our best pairing..

even Chabot had his best numbers playing with Brannstrom.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Low risk and positive signing.

Thought he had potential and expected too much for his abilities. Possibly drafted a little too high. Might be a good fit with AVs encouraging good skating DMen to push the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad