Proposal: Col-Ari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Sam Girard+Mikhail Maltsev

for

Nick Schmaltz + 2022 3rd round pick

With Bowen Bryan’s rise, Sam Girard becomes expendable for the avs. The avs have a bit of a forward depth issue, Nick Schmaltz could be a fit. Arizona can slot girard with chychrun on top pairing.

Girard and Schmaltz also have similar cap hits and term. Girard for 6 years at 5M, Schmaltz for 5 at 5.85M.

3rd round pick also gets avs some more draft capital. Maltsev gets the coyotes a young forward who can slot in as they rebuild.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

for

With Bowen Bryan’s rise, Sam Girard becomes expendable for the avs. The avs have a bit of a forward depth issue, Nick Schmaltz could be a fit. Arizona can slot girard with chychrun on top pairing.

Girard and Schmaltz also have similar cap hits and term. Girard for 6 years at 5M, Schmaltz for 5 at 5.85M.

3rd round pick also gets avs some more draft capital. Maltsev gets the coyotes a young forward who can slot in as they rebuild.
We need to add I think. What's the value of Girard? Like would you want a 2nd + 3rd?

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
ew. this is gross for the avs. There is nothing i would trade Girard for on the yotes.

value for girard is top 6 forward on a fantastic contract or elc.

Reactions: Tramp Dana Scully

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

for

The Yotes already fleeced us badly once in the offseason.
I am not in the mood for a repeat.
Which this would be.

Avs fans are desperate and stupid right now.
Girard is not going anywhere anytime soon and even if he were to be traded, it would be for someone way higher on the foodchain than Schmaltz.
He is a 23 year old D that has played like a toppairing D for the last few years of his very young career.He hasn't been great since we played against Vegas in the playoffs but given his steal of a contract, he still should be worth a ton. Atleast the Avs shouldn't even consider trading him unless the return is a legit #2 C (closer to a #1 C than to a #3) that can fill that role on a contender and is similarly young/under team control.
I don't see a realistic player that fits that bill on the market right now. Thats why atleast until the offseason Girard (or any other major asset on the Avs) is IMO not going anywhere.
The Avs will just run with what they have and see where it takes them. In the offseason the MacKinnon extension is due to be signed (as well as Kadri and Burakovsky provably walking in UFA) and then I could see major changes.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
ew. this is gross for the avs. There is nothing i would trade Girard for on the yotes.

value for girard is top 6 forward on a fantastic contract or elc.
Yea and I think Schmaltz is roughly the value of a 2nd, maybe a 2nd and 3rd but that's still not enough. We don't have the pieces to make a deal for Girard because we are rebuilding. If Schmaltz + 2nd + 2nd would work than I think we'd have a good base but it doesn't sound like Colorado would love that idea.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yea and I think Schmaltz is roughly the value of a 2nd, maybe a 2nd and 3rd but that's still not enough. We don't have the pieces to make a deal for Girard because we are rebuilding. If Schmaltz + 2nd + 2nd would work than I think we'd have a good base but it doesn't sound like Colorado would love that idea.
Yeah that would be really terrible for Colorado. Sam Girard is a top 30ish D in the nhl and is on a sweetheart contract. I can’t see him getting traded unless someone has a similar caliber forward in a similar contract they’re looking to swap.

Reactions: YotesFan47

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Fair enough, I think I was basing my valuation of Girard more on recency as it sounds like Avs fans and the team aren’t too happy with him after the Vegas series. If they do trade him, avs would likely get much better offers

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Girard put up the same amount of points in 4 less games than Schmaltz last season. I get Girard is on a better team etc., but he has proven to be a top 3 defenseman imo. Both are off to slow starts, but I think there’s a sizable difference in value between the two players in the favor of Girard.

If you want Girard for Schmaltz add back the Avs first and Crouse to get the ball rolling.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

for

I think maybe something based around Jost and/or Murray for Schmaltz would be a bit more fair.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yeah, no offense meant here but I wouldn't trade Girard for anything on Arizona's roster right now.

But I am completely in the camp of trading Girard for a legit 2C.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think maybe something based around Jost and/or Murray for Schmaltz would be a bit more fair.
I am having a hard time seeing where the value is in acquiring Schmaltz. He is in his 6th NHL season and has 1 season where his stats would be clearly identified as top 6 level production and that was 4 seasons ago. He reminds me of Drouin somewhat in that he gets points (0.6 ppg), but doesn't seem to have any other impact on the game. He isn't great defensively, he isn't physical, he has a 41% face off percentage. With a $5.85 cap hit for 5 years (including this year) and $35.45 in actual cash owed ($7.1 per year) and the 3 final years with a 10 team no trade clause I am finding it hard to see much value in Schmaltz as a trade asset.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I am having a hard time seeing where the value is in acquiring Schmaltz. He is in his 6th NHL season and has 1 season where his stats would be clearly identified as top 6 level production and that was 4 seasons ago. He reminds me of Drouin somewhat in that he gets points (0.6 ppg), but doesn't seem to have any other impact on the game. He isn't great defensively, he isn't physical, he has a 41% face off percentage. With a $5.85 cap hit for 5 years (including this year) and $35.45 in actual cash owed ($7.1 per year) and the 3 final years with a 10 team no trade clause I am finding it hard to see much value in Schmaltz as a trade asset.
We’ll throw in a 50% off Kessel, then! ;)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We’ll throw in a 50% off Kessel, then! ;)
I would be curious if Zona fans could provide a better of different analysis of Schmaltz? I watch as much hockey as I can, but I don't get many Yotes games, so my opinion is based on a very small sample size and stat watching, which I know isn't a great way to form an opinion.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I would be curious if Zona fans could provide a better of different analysis of Schmaltz? I watch as much hockey as I can, but I don't get many Yotes games, so my opinion is based on a very small sample size and stat watching, which I know isn't a great way to form an opinion.
Offensive middle 6 forward who is good at entering the zone and when he plays his game, is a very effective 2c. When he's off his game, he's more of a floating parameter player.

Reactions: Boondock

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Offensive middle 6 forward who is good at entering the zone and when he plays his game, is a very effective 2c. When he's off his game, he's more of a floating parameter player.
Is consistency his biggest issue then? Is he a center version of Drouin?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs easily declines.

Schmaltz is only 2" taller and 7 lbs heavier and doesn't have more offence than Girard. I believe Girard is also better defensively and comparable skating. Considered a 3C or middle 6 Forward. Not the 2C needed. However, Cap is too high for the AZ player for his production and rumoured as a possible buyout

AZ will need to add much more to this deal ie. COL - 1st or retention to get any interest.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
AVs easily declines.

Schmaltz is only 2" taller and 7 lbs heavier and doesn't have more offence than Girard. I believe Girard is also better defensively and comparable skating. Considered a 3C or middle 6 Forward. Not the 2C needed. However, Cap is too high for the AZ player for his production and rumoured as a possible buyout

AZ will need to add much more to this deal ie. COL - 1st or retention to get any interest.
That's news to me, where did you hear that?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He’s injured now but he was floundering here. His contract is scary, given how he’s trending.

In all honesty, he’s probably the most skilled guy on the team other than Keller and Kessel. And I really do think he can be a player, elsewhere. He’s had prolonged stretches in AZ where he was the best forward on the team.

When he simplifies his game, skates in straight lines, and goes inside, he’s worth his contract. When he’s off his game, he’s going on leisure cruises in wide looping circles all over the ice, becomes pass happy from the perimeter, and can be a liability. It’s really as simple as that. He has two distinct ways of playing and they’re so apparent.

When he plays the one way, he’s a great 2nd line center. Top-notch transition play, elite controlled zone entry metrics, dual threat offense in the slot, and hounds pucks for turnovers in the neutral zone, using his excellent skating and sneaky stick work. He’s the 2nd line center you want.

When he plays the other way, he looks like a KHL all-star. The type of dude who achieves legendary status overseas and nobody can figure out why he never made it work in the NHL. The answer is failure to play an effective north/south game with consistent pace.

I think he can salvage this. Really I do. No BS. But I don’t think it’s going to happen here. If it was going to happen, it would be right now. New coach and half the roster turned over.

But guys like him seem to flourish as soon as they leave Arizona. Look at Duclair, Domi, Garland, OEL and the list goes on and on. I think it’s actually quite likely Schmaltz would join that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad