Value of: Cody Glass

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Would there be any takers for Cody Glass? He's the first logical choice to get the preds cap compliant. He's had periods of solid play but they've been spread between injuries. Is there any value here or is this a guy we have to waive and add a cheap pick to clear?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Does he do anything well? How different is he than say Kevin Labanc, who clearly has no league interest.
The only difference is that he was a highly touted prospect , and younger I guess.

I remember when he was dominating the WHL as a 20 year old and everyone was convinced he was the next best thing

Reactions: banks

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'd take anything from him at this point, sad to say.

He's skilled as a player and you can clearly see that he thinks of the game at an advanced level. What he can't get over is the physical aspect of the game and often times he's looking like he's too timid or almost like a little scared on the ice. His shot is also a true muffin which is a weakness as well.

I think he can pass by as a 3C and 2PP guy on a lower-level team but on a contender, I don't think he should see the ice. Which is why we're trying to move him, on top of creating cap space.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Talk about a bust of a pick; six degreees of seperation....

1720724992191.png

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
He was actually a good 3C in 22-23. Really good defensively, 14 goals and about .5 ppg. Wasn't good last year, but was injured and constantly in and out of the lineup. I think he's a good reclamation project at 2.5 for one year given his age.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He had a good promising year in 22-23, but injuries, ice time and timid play have sunk his potential. He did have a hat trick his last game though....before being benched the rest of the year.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'd take anything from him at this point, sad to say.

He's skilled as a player and you can clearly see that he thinks of the game at an advanced level. What he can't get over is the physical aspect of the game and often times he's looking like he's too timid or almost like a little scared on the ice. His shot is also a true muffin which is a weakness as well.

I think he can pass by as a 3C and 2PP guy on a lower-level team but on a contender, I don't think he should see the ice. Which is why we're trying to move him, on top of creating cap space.
I think it's what you said, but that the "scared" part can also be attributed to how he has been handled by our coaching staff(s) in Nashville. He has always been on a short rope, walking on eggshells. It's difficult for him to get into a groove and play his game when he knows the next mistake he makes can relegate him to the pressbox. Granted, an NHL player should have confidence.

What he is... a center with size, vision, and playmaking skills. What he isn't... physical in any way, fast, tenacious, or confident. When he got on a bit of a roll 2 seasons ago, he put up the 35 pts and it looked like he was off and running, at last, so the Preds gave him that 2x$2.5M bridge contract, content that he was just going to keep getting better. Then last season happened. It wasn't just him, the coaching staff also relegated Parssinen, Tomasino, and Fabbro who are also good young players who should be playing every day in the NHL. It was a conscious choice by the coaches to employ NHL/AHL veteran tweeners over those younger players, and to really be hard on them for any mistakes they made. I didn't like the double-standard, because it's not like the players they brought in were any better. Possibly worse. Yet the Preds were somewhat surprisingly successful in the standings, so that whole situation didn't really get challenged.

I am not 100% sold on Glass by any means. I feel like he does somewhat lack a "killer instinct". And while he may have the overall vision, skills, and size to survive as a passable NHL #2/3C, the problem is that he can't seem to find it within himself to SEIZE that opportunity. Believe me, the Preds would love it if he did. But they aren't handing it to him on a silver platter. If somebody handed it to him, MAYBE he'd be ok. But I'm worried about him not being able to grab it. If that makes sense.

So at this point, since the Preds are actually over the Cap by about Glass' salary, I'd be ok if they just waived him and somebody took him, or if he was traded for "future considerations". Anything more that people want to offer is kind of a bonus. :dunno:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Leafs need a third line C.

Glass @ 50% for Robertson?
Easy "yes" here, just on players.

It really doesn't solve our Cap issues, however, since I expect Robertson probably deserves more than the $1.25M that 50% of Glass' contract represents? So there is that problem. We are already over the Cap in Nashville. If Robertson would take a 1x$1.25M "show me" contract, I'd do it. But if he needs more, then we really can't make that work, unfortunately.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Easy "yes" here, just on players.

It really doesn't solve our Cap issues, however, since I expect Robertson probably deserves more than the $1.25M that 50% of Glass' contract represents? So there is that problem. We are already over the Cap in Nashville. If Robertson would take a 1x$1.25M "show me" contract, I'd do it. But if he needs more, then we really can't make that work, unfortunately.

He doesn't have any leverage to demand that. HIs issue isn't money he is mad that Keefe wouldn't play him much last year. He got under 8 minutes of ice time a lot of nights with basically no PP time and still paced for 20 goals. His most common linemates were Holmberg and Jarnkrok.

The Leafs probably lose that trade (but I guess most teams do when a player refuses to sign). I just see the size and center ability and wonder if he might work under Berube and a change of scenery.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He doesn't have any leverage to demand that. HIs issue isn't money he is mad that Keefe wouldn't play him much last year. He got under 8 minutes of ice time a lot of nights with basically no PP time and still paced for 20 goals. His most common linemates were Holmberg and Jarnkrok.

The Leafs probably lose that trade (but I guess most teams do when a player refuses to sign). I just see the size and center ability and wonder if he might work under Berube and a change of scenery.
If someone was willing to let him make his mistakes and keep playing for a bit I'm not sold he couldn't be half decent, but that is also assuming he can stay healthy enough to do anything with that kind of opportunity.

I'd be fine with Robertson, problem is if he was having issues getting playing time in Toronto I have little faith he wouldn't hit the same wall here with Brunette.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'd be fine with Robertson, problem is if he was having issues getting playing time in Toronto I have little faith he wouldn't hit the same wall here with Brunette.
Well if I was him or his agent I would definitely have that worry. I don't know if the Preds have really established the reputation around the league as a "youth unfriendly" location... but it is probably coming.

That said, just on player values, plus that Robertson doesn't have any real control over the situation... I'd still be for the deal. The Preds WILL probably F it up. But it's a good return for where Glass is right now.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If someone was willing to let him make his mistakes and keep playing for a bit I'm not sold he couldn't be half decent, but that is also assuming he can stay healthy enough to do anything with that kind of opportunity.

I wish he was a bit bigger and a bit stronger. He's got decent skill, good hockey IQ, and does decently on the defensive side. Would be a good replacement for Sissons eventually but he's not capable of playing that physically or staying healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00