Cody Franson says he’s in contract talks with Bruins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Agree. Chara, Siedenberg, Boychuk have already proven that you don't have to be a great skater to have success in CJ's system. Franson hits a lot and blocks a lot of shots. So its not just offense that he brings. And he has a 0.5 pts/gm in the playoffs. He is comparable to Phanuef minus the huge contract. I can see Chara & Franson make a solid top pair.

You see I don't see him as that good that he would be a top 2 d man. Besides isn't he just using Boston as leverage?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The more I hear about Seidenberg recovery less reason to overpay Franson

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Do you think they plan on playing one of the kids in the top-4 then? If not it means Quaider is likely promoted. Neither of those two scenarios bodes well for Boston IMO. That is unless one or both of Morrow or C.Miller step up in a big way.

If they can get Franson locked up on a short term 2-3 year deal for just over/under 4m then I'd welcome the addition, he only makes the defense better.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Do you think they plan on playing one of the kids in the top-4 then? If not it means Quaider is likely promoted. Neither of those two scenarios bodes well for Boston IMO. That is unless one or both of Morrow or C.Miller step up in a big way.

If they can get Franson locked up on a short term 2-3 year deal for just over/under 4m then I'd welcome the addition, he only makes the defense better.

You could play Seids on Krug's right on the second pair IMO...

Irwin/Morrow-mcQ for the third pair.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I bet Krug could play the same exact game he does but be 4 inches taller and not get **** on the amount he does. On a side note with Dougie gone I hope he gets moved back to the right point on the PP and can use his one-timer again.

Totally agree. A lot of posters can't get past his height. Meanwhile, Krug's D game is solid, better than Hamilton's was last year. And Krug keeps working on it every year. If he can consistently be a little bit above average in his own end while bringing his exceptional O game, then he easily is a top 4 Dman. Nevermind that he shows up huge in the playoffs. There is no way Krug gets traded unless he regresses big time. Not with Sweeney running the show and I'm sure he sees himself a lot in Krug minus the O game ;) Both were small scrappy players. I can see Chara-Franson
Sieds-Krug

That is a solid top 4 since I'm sure Sieds will rebound this year. The guy was playing all season with no lower body power, BC Bruin made a point of this in one of his posts.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

On the flip side, Dennis Seidenberg was supposedly going to play in Stanley Cup Final Game 7 in 2013. So he was hours away from being game-ready 4 full months before he was a trainwreck for an entire season. So I'm not so sure I put a whole lot of stock into stories of his "recovery". In fact, I look at his contract as a bigger albatross than that of Chris Kelly. If he doesn't do a complete 180 we are in big, big trouble on defense.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
So pay Franson 4.5M to be worse both offensively and defensively? Krug is 100% worth his price.

Where all these trade Krug posts are coming from?

We need two more Krug. Not less. One for each pairing.

Like you said, Krug is well worth his Cap hit. He is an elite offensive Dmen:

-12 goals last year (11th in the league) and 14 goals in 13-14 (7th)
-28th in scoring last year with 39pts and 24th in 13-14 with 40pts.
-24y

These guys are getting paid. The only bad thing about his contract is that it is only for 1y... A raise is coming... And he'll be worth it again. You have to pay for an elite scoring D. See what Mike Green got? Trade him? Everyone can be traded. But then you have to replace him. And it will cost you more for an older one on UFA or top assets to trade for one. We got one. Keep him and extend him on January 1st. Then, try to find more scoring Dmen... Either internally (C.Miller/Morrow) via trades or UFA.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
You see I don't see him as that good that he would be a top 2 d man. Besides isn't he just using Boston as leverage?

Of course he is using Boston as leverage. Can't blame him for trying to get the best contract/fit he can. Doesn't mean that he wont sign in Boston at the end of the day. And I can see him play as well as Boychuk did here in this system.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
On the flip side, Dennis Seidenberg was supposedly going to play in Stanley Cup Final Game 7 in 2013. So he was hours away from being game-ready 4 full months before he was a trainwreck for an entire season. So I'm not so sure I put a whole lot of stock into stories of his "recovery". In fact, I look at his contract as a bigger albatross than that of Chris Kelly. If he doesn't do a complete 180 we are in big, big trouble on defense.

I don't think game ready was anything close to 100% in Seid's case. Just motivation & bravado talk. And I'm sure regular rehab is something else than playing top 4 minutes night in, night out. I have a feeling Seids will be back to his old self this season.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I honestly don't see any more d moves being made prior to the season. If we can get Franson for 4/per then I'd consider it, anything over 4, well then let him sign in Toronto or Buffalo and we'll expose him 6 games a year.

I have full faith in Seids coming back and being a lot better this season. Same can be said for Big Z. I think they will anchor our top two pairs, and all this worry in regards to the D will be all for nothing. Anything slotting Krug in the top 4 is out of their mind. He's way too small to be going up against top lines on a nightly basis. He's a great 3rd pairing and PP Quarterback. I personally think Quaider is going to get every opportunity to make it in the top 4 and I'm more than happy to give him a look. I honestly feel him and a rejuvenated Chara could be one tough pairing to play against. I think Miller and Morrow will fight it out during camp for the other top 4 spot. The loser being paired with Krug on the third pairing. Trotman is the wild card, if he impresses at camp, he might get a shot next to Chara but I genuinely think that spot is Quaider's to lose.

What I really wish we'd do is upgrade our top 6. I don't want to separate Spooner/Pasta because they seemed to have insane chemistry so we have a gaping hole on our top line RW for Krejci. Eriksson might fit there but then we need to ask Connolly to play his off wing with the kids, leaving Marshy-Bergy-Hayes.

If we could only pry a Wayne Simmonds out of Philly to play with Krejci and Beleskey, life would be so much better! Not happening though!

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Mine too.

Look at the top-30 scoring D (Krug in 28th):

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20152ALLDADALL&ord=desc&sort=points&viewName=summary

What is the average salary of all these 30 guys?

Krug = bargain

But only for 1y. He'll need a new deal after 15-16. And he'll catch on the average Cap hit of all these top-scoring Dmen.

Agree. That lack of 4" translates to a bargain right now. Wish it was a long term deal. Hopefully Krug improves his D game more and solidifies his top 4 status. Wont have a problem paying him $5 million/yr then.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I honestly don't see any more d moves being made prior to the season. If we can get Franson for 4/per then I'd consider it, anything over 4, well then let him sign in Toronto or Buffalo and we'll expose him 6 games a year.

I have full faith in Seids coming back and being a lot better this season. Same can be said for Big Z. I think they will anchor our top two pairs, and all this worry in regards to the D will be all for nothing. Anything slotting Krug in the top 4 is out of their mind. He's way too small to be going up against top lines on a nightly basis. He's a great 3rd pairing and PP Quarterback. I personally think Quaider is going to get every opportunity to make it in the top 4 and I'm more than happy to give him a look. I honestly feel him and a rejuvenated Chara could be one tough pairing to play against. I think Miller and Morrow will fight it out during camp for the other top 4 spot. The loser being paired with Krug on the third pairing. Trotman is the wild card, if he impresses at camp, he might get a shot next to Chara but I genuinely think that spot is Quaider's to lose.

What I really wish we'd do is upgrade our top 6. I don't want to separate Spooner/Pasta because they seemed to have insane chemistry so we have a gaping hole on our top line RW for Krejci. Eriksson might fit there but then we need to ask Connolly to play his off wing with the kids, leaving Marshy-Bergy-Hayes.

If we could only pry a Wayne Simmonds out of Philly to play with Krejci and Beleskey, life would be so much better! Not happening though!

See I don't get that. Why is Krug too small to play top 4? Is there really a height requirement to play there? As long as he is fast to the puck and moves it, doesn't shy away from physical contact, and has an active stick, size wont be a factor in this new NHL.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I don't think game ready was anything close to 100% in Seid's case. Just motivation & bravado talk. And I'm sure regular rehab is something else than playing top 4 minutes night in, night out. I have a feeling Seids will be back to his old self this season.

Is that based on "insider" knowledge or is it just blind faith ??

I really worry too much faith is being put in a 39 year old with a PCL injury and a slow to begin with Seids who started to look lost even before his injuries .

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Playing and playing well are two different things. It is generally understood that although an athlete can come back from ACL/MCL surgery after 4-6 months, it takes a full year to fully recover to peak form. See Andrei Markov.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
D,

I'm not sure what Hamilton has to do with Franson? One wanted out, and from what I was told was offered more money to stay. The other guy is a UFA at a completely different stage in his career. It's always tricky to project how guys will fit in certain systems. After being in free-wheeling TOR with little to no defensive structure, who knows how he would respond to Boston? He could be bad and not worth the $$$, or he could be really good and a bargain.

That's the risk of free agency.

value analysis, market comparative. Hamilton did not have the hammer. People only want to make it so. He would have played in Boston, had they wanted that to happen -- regardless of an offer sheet

....which btw seems to be like saying that "I will kill myself now, so the boogie man doesn't get me tonight when it gets dark." LOL

but back on track, yes, different markets indeed, but like real estate comparatives as pertaining to teams (like areas of cities) is helpful in determining value. Not point blank, but this is money ball at the end of the day

Last edited:

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/cody-franson-says-hes-waiting-on-right-fit-sick-of-one-year-deals/

If you were wondering what has taken so long for defenseman Cody Franson to sign a new contract, you’re not alone. Franson himself seems to be getting impatient.
In an interview with TSN 1040 in Vancouver, Franson opened an interview with questions about his contract and when hosts Matt Sekeres and Jeff Paterson remark that they thought Franson would have a contract by now, the unrestricted free agent blueliner said they weren’t the only ones.
“You and me both,†remarked Franson.
Throughout the 2014-15 campaign, Franson was considered to be one of the top free agent defensemen available, but following a trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Nashville Predators, Franson’s stock dropped mightily. The calls are coming in, however, and Franson told TSN 1040 that he and his agent are trying to get something done during what has been an odd summer.
“It’s just one of those things that some of the teams that we’re talking to are in cap crunches and some teams don’t want to go as long,†said Franson. “A number of different circumstances. This year has just been a lot slower in general.â€
Salary could certainly be a hold up for Franson, but the other concern, something that Franson seemingly wants in a new deal, is a place to stay for at least a few seasons. Since 2010-11, Franson has played in Nashville, Toronto and back to Nashville. Three moves in five years is quite a few for a 27-year-old defenseman.
“Obviously I want something a little more than one year,†Franson laughed. “I’m sick of doing one-year deals. We’re open to all suggestions, really.â€
Open to all suggestions, so long as that landing spot gives him a place to fit in the lineup, however. In Nashville post-trade, Franson struggled in a big way. After six goals and 32 points in 55 games with the Maple Leafs, Franson scored just one goal and four points in 23 games with the Predators. In the post-season, Franson managed just two assists as Nashville was eliminated in six games by the Chicago Blackhawks.
“If you’re not happy where you are, it doesn’t matter what you’re making,†Franson said. “If you can’t go out and earn what you’re making, it doesn’t feel right. Being in the proper place on the depth chart and making sure you’re a fit where you go is a real important factor for me.â€
When it comes to fit, what Franson specifically pointed to was being able to play the right side. He said that if you, “ask any right-handed defenseman,†the left side can be, “uncharted territory.â€
“I sat down with my agent a little over a week ago and we went through all the teams depth charts that we’re speaking to and the teams that could be potential spots for us, seeing where we fit on their blueline and if it would be a good fit,†Franson told TSN 1040. “I emphasized how much that effected me being in Nashville. As much as I love that city, it was difficult to go back to playing in that role. I want to be a guy that’s counted on and not get put back in a depth role.â€
Of the teams that Franson could land on, there are, according to the defenseman, “five or six teams,†he and his agent are talking to. While he wouldn’t go into specifics, Franson did say how much he enjoyed his with the WHL’s Vancouver Giants and said he hoped Toronto would always be an option for him. One team he did say was a potential landing spot, however, was Boston.
“They’re one of the teams we’re in talks with,†Franson said. “Boston would be an interesting spot. It’s obviously an awesome city and they’ve go a great organization and all those things that come with it. There’s a handful of other teams, too, and everything’s slow rolling at the moment.
â€

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

I really worry too much faith is being put in a 39 year old with a PCL injury and a slow to begin with Seids who started to look lost even before his injuries .

The only insider info I have was that Seids was playing well below 100% last season due to lack of rehab time. He had very little lower body power. That can be fixed with a proper rehab. And knowing how much pride Seids has in his game (willing to waive his NTC if Boston doesn't want him), I'm willing to bet he put in the hard work to do a proper rehab and live up to his contract once more. Could be wrong, but I'm confident.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
value analysis, market comparative. Hamilton did not have the hammer. People only want to make it so. He would have played in Boston, had they wanted that to happen -- regardless of an offer sheet

....which btw seems to be like saying that "I will kill myself now, so the boogie man doesn't get me tonight when it gets dark." LOL

Bottom line was he didn't want to be here, and Sweeney decided it was not in the best interest of the team to have a guy like that here, regardless of who had the hammer. Value analysis and market comparative only work when you use like samples. Hamilton and Franson are not the same, so comparing the $$$ they get/got is pointless.

It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Perfect world, B's re-up Dougie for cheap $$$ on a long term deal and teach him to play better D. How often do things work out perfectly?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Sweeney is trying to build a playoff team and you don't see him making a move for another D-man?

Your suggestion
Chara- McQuaid
Seidenberg-x
top4
would be easily easily bottom5 in the league, zero chance for playoffs, top5 pick is what we'd be looking for and Sweeney and the big boys aren't willing to go for that. That would be the slowest group in the league and it would have zero offense, and the D-zone exits would be tough to watch.
Are we going to win any games?

I like Seids but he can't be in our future plans anymore, Chara+Seids both in our top4(logging top2minutes) and future plans would stop us from being contenders, that's cap that could be used on top players that can make us be contenders, Chara will retire here so Seids needs to be shipped out at some point.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Bottom line was he didn't want to be here, and Sweeney decided it was not in the best interest of the team to have a guy like that here, regardless of who had the hammer. Value analysis and market comparative only work when you use like samples. Hamilton and Franson are not the same, so comparing the $$$ they get/got is pointless.

It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Perfect world, B's re-up Dougie for cheap $$$ on a long term deal and teach him to play better D. How often do things work out perfectly?

If they are signing Franson to replace Hamilton, then no, he is filling a slot at a certain dollar value. Money Ball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad