Value of: Cody Eakin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
He did good things in Dallas. They'd probably give you a leftover Sean Avery jersey for him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Throw in Brett Hull's hockey skate (the one that was in the crease), and I bet Buffalo excepts...

Eakin and Pavelski on the same team?

Perish the thought. :sarcasm:

Honestly though I thought Eakin was great in Dallas - it was his late goal that won Benn's Art Ross, after all. :nod:

Good bottom sixer, and I've watched that mullet grow into an absolute beauty ever since he left. Shame his game seems to have fallen off a cliff, but I bet there's one or two takers out there at the deadline.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Eakin and Pavelski on the same team?

Perish the thought. :sarcasm:

Honestly though I thought Eakin was great in Dallas - it was his late goal that won Benn's Art Ross, after all. :nod:

Good bottom sixer, and I've watched that mullet grow into an absolute beauty ever since he left. Shame his game seems to have fallen off a cliff, but I bet there's one or two takers out there at the deadline.

He was actually surprisingly solid the first 15 or so games this season, so much so, that I might have actually said he was good.

He was hands down the worst player on that bad team last year though.

Unfortunately, he seems to be slowly starting to look more and more like he did last season.

I think he may be a guy that when the team is struggling, he takes it on himself and tries to do too much, which is admirable, but when he isn't keeping it simple, his game is a liability.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He was actually surprisingly solid the first 15 or so games this season, so much so, that I might have actually said he was good.

He was hands down the worst player on that bad team last year though.

Unfortunately, he seems to be slowly starting to look more and more like he did last season.

I think he may be a guy that when the team is struggling, he takes it on himself and tries to do too much, which is admirable, but when he isn't keeping it simple, his game is a liability.
He still has the ability to play a very good 3c for a contender. The problem is it looks like he went for money and term in FA l, got it from Buffalo and is pulling a Taylor Hall by coasting and waiting for his ticket out of here. I am not in the locker room, he might be great in there but from the 30,000 ft view, it looks like he had his bags packed last year and was waiting to be traded ever since.

Reactions: banks

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Buy an Eakin and we’ll throw in an Anders Bjork free of charge. This dude is all over the ice- wherever the puck isn’t, he’s there, hiding behind a defender, just waiting to mishandle the puck. Elite meme game, you can slot him in as your weird icelandic singer meme or you can go to the doge route. Serious offers only.

Reactions: Chainshot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He still has the ability to play a very good 3c for a contender. The problem is it looks like he went for money and term in FA l, got it from Buffalo and is pulling a Taylor Hall by coasting and waiting for his ticket out of here. I am not in the locker room, he might be great in there but from the 30,000 ft view, it looks like he had his bags packed last year and was waiting to be traded ever since.

Not sure I would necessarily characterize 2.25 for 2 years as going for money and term. That said, I guess it is relative if all the other offers were one year @ league minimum.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
He might get a 6th or a 7th from a team that just wants a locker room guy. He was done as a decent NHL player in 2019. Shocked he has hung around this long.

member 334057

You clearly haven't seen Eakin play recently. He would make any contending team worse. He makes Buffalo worse.
He helps improve Buffalos draft position, and he also likes to skate to the bench instead of joining in on what would be a 2 on 1 rush.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You get: a sick mullet, an iroc z, and a crushed pack of pall malls.

Sabres get: This dude off the f***ing team.

Seriously though, any takers?

Honestly, as a Sabres fan, he's useless. We eat half his cap and maybe he's worth a 6th. We can only eat cap on three guys. Colin Miller should be one to guarantee a 2nd if he gets healthy. Hagg at $800 K has value too. So maybe Eakin maybe is third. Okposo is playing better this year but even at $3 M cap this year and next year, doubt he'd find buyers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Honestly, as a Sabres fan, he's useless. We eat half his cap and maybe he's worth a 6th. We can only eat cap on three guys. Colin Miller should be one to guarantee a 2nd if he gets healthy. Hagg at $800 K has value too. So maybe Eakin maybe is third. Okposo is playing better this year but even at $3 M cap this year and next year, doubt he'd find buyers.

If Buffalo is taking on salary retention, it should be for some thing like what Detroit did with Savard last year and getting a fourth round draft pick for brokering a trade. Retaining on their own guys to get even less would be the most Buffalo Sabres thing ever though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You know you're flaming out of the NHL when Buffalo fans have had it with you. They've developed the ability to put up with some god awful play, ha ha.

That said, I'd do a "my crap and a pick for your crap and some cap space" trade. Turris and a late pick (5th or later), for Eakin at 50% salary. Gives each time a new guy to try out for the rest of the year to see if there is a fit. Gives Buffalo a pick. Gives Edmonton 500K (pro-rated) in cap space.

If anyone actually wanted him without messing around with cap space, take it, but I think finding a way to save a team cap is the only way to get anything from Eakin.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You know you're flaming out of the NHL when Buffalo fans have had it with you. They've developed the ability to put up with some god awful play, ha ha.

That said, I'd do a "my crap and a pick for your crap and some cap space" trade. Turris and a late pick (5th or later), for Eakin at 50% salary. Gives each time a new guy to try out for the rest of the year to see if there is a fit. Gives Buffalo a pick. Gives Edmonton 500K (pro-rated) in cap space.

If anyone actually wanted him without messing around with cap space, take it, but I think finding a way to save a team cap is the only way to get anything from Eakin.

Honestly, Eakin is the wrong sort of turd for the Oilers. They need people who come back on defense like their next meal depends on winning the puck and/or people who move the puck up the ice into the offensive zone in the same way. While the goaltending could be a bit better, the biggest issue I see watching the Oilers is that their forwards aren't that good at or committed to their own side of the ice. And one thing in watching Eakin in Dallas, Vegas and now Buffalo... he's not committed to being smart on his own side of center ice.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Buffalo is taking on salary retention, it should be for some thing like what Detroit did with Savard last year and getting a fourth round draft pick for brokering a trade. Retaining on their own guys to get even less would be the most Buffalo Sabres thing ever though.

I don't really get what you mean. They wouldn't be getting less, they dump some salary and get crap pick. It's unclear what they get using their cap space in a three-way trade. They could just one of three retentions for that too, nobody is saying they can't. They won't retain beyond 2021-22. That's clear. Sabres have a solid young core -- only true haters can't see that now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't really get what you mean. They wouldn't be getting less, they dump some salary and get crap pick. It's unclear what they get using their cap space in a three-way trade. They could just one of three retentions for that too, nobody is saying they can't. They won't retain beyond 2021-22. That's clear. Sabres have a solid young core -- only true haters can't see that now.

Before Buffalo retains on three of their own contracts this trade deadline, they should be looking at doing what Detroit did last year to get a 4th rounder by retaining on Savard for Tampa. The Wings brokered the deal between the Lightning and the Jackets. They used their cap space and a relatively minor bit of cash to buy a pick. I'd rather Buffalo look at using their three retention slots in that fashion, especially since so few contenders have any free space, than using it on their own expiring contracts that aren't going to garner as much in return as brokering on a better player looks like it should.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad