Value of: Cody Ceci

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think he’s due for a big payday this offseason. What do we think he’ll get? Solid puck moving right shot defender that is quite good in his own zone. He’ll have a good amount of value.
We will take a 7th rnd for him and even extend him for whatever team wants him and we will send back a 5th rounder

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nice joke thread

Dude sucks 5v5
He ices the puck a sh)t load for no reason because he can’t make controlled exits

Guy was trying to ice the puck out stupidity and jarngrok got it on tonight’s goal

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The OP saw Ceci make a nice assist and tried to sell high on him :laugh:

He's not "a solid puck mover" and isn't "good in his own zone". If he was, Edmonton wouldn't be looking to move him.
You can have him for future considerations. Oilers need an upgrade on Ceci, Someone the can carry the boat anchor known as Nurse. I was pleasant surprise the Oilers made the cup final as the are handy capped by Campbell, Nurse and Ceci

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Ceci is okay if played on the third pairing or in non-difficult minutes on the second pairing. With that said, $3.25M is a bit much to be paying for a defenseman used in that role, although he is an RD which carries a slight premium.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The return on Ceci is either pure futures or bottom 6 forward in a similar situation (high AAV, one year left). Ceci's value will be higher at the deadline with 50% retention, but by that point, he shouldn't be on the Oilers unless Broberg at 2RD is determined to be the answer.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You can have him for future considerations. Oilers need an upgrade on Ceci, Someone the can carry the boat anchor known as Nurse. I was pleasant surprise the Oilers made the cup final as the are handy capped by Campbell, Nurse and Ceci
Ceci traded and Campbell bought out. Nurse is like Huberdeau. A problem that can't be solved.

The return on Ceci is either pure futures or bottom 6 forward in a similar situation (high AAV, one year left). Ceci's value will be higher at the deadline with 50% retention, but by that point, he shouldn't be on the Oilers unless Broberg at 2RD is determined to be the answer.
The return on Ceci will be you guys attaching a 3rd round pick. I think it's a price you should pay for the cap space.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think he’s due for a big payday this offseason. What do we think he’ll get? Solid puck moving right shot defender that is quite good in his own zone. He’ll have a good amount of value.

Calling Cody Ceci a puck moving defenceman is... sure something.

He's not horrible, but there's a reason he got bumped out of the top 4 when the level of competition escalated. He can't play that spot on a Cup threat team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Ceci isn't very good at all.

Serviceable guy to have playing down in the lineup, nothing more.

Not sure why he was playing 20+ minutes a night...then again it's the same team/org that gave Darnell Nurse 9M+ until forever

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's a solid veteran bottom pair guy, paid like a low end 2nd pair guy, and in all fairness, he played like a good 2nd pair guy when we first got him, so it might be more that he isn't working with his partner than anything.

He's unspectacular, but with the severe lack of RD out there, I'm sure there is a GM that would offer up a mid round pick for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ceci isn't very good at all.

Serviceable guy to have playing down in the lineup, nothing more.

Not sure why he was playing 20+ minutes a night...then again it's the same team/org that gave Darnell Nurse 9M+ until forever
Ceci is a very *okay* defenceman. One area he's very good is the PK but at 5v5 he's pretty suspect. We tried to mitigate this by playing the shit out of Bouchard at 5v5 (played more 5v5 minutes than anyone else in the cup final) but Florida's depth won out.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His lack of mobilty/ability to skate backwards was glaring on the 2nd goal. Kulak skated backwards no problem, yet, Ceci had to turn to skate towards Skinner not facing Verheage. That allowed Verheage to enter the zone and go right the net as Ceci was turned and could not box him out.

It's 1 year remaining without trade protection. Probably can find a taker for him. Just don't expect anything in return aside from getting cap space.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The return on Ceci will be you guys attaching a 3rd round pick. I think it's a price you should pay for the cap space.

Unless you absolutely need the full cap space, I think there would be teams that would take Ceci, if he's retained on. But to my earlier point, if there is a bottom 6 player, making similar money and the other team has a pressing need at bottom pairing RD, a trade can be made without sweeteners, Joel Armia/Brock McGinn type players, similar contract and term (not saying Montreal or Anaheim are fits for Ceci either btw).

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's not good at all.

Acquiring him for anything more than a 3rd pairing role would be a mistake.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ceci's far from great, but he's serviceable in the right situation. Not much different from other meh RHD in the same price bracket like Rutta or TVR, and a better player than guys like Holl or Schenn.

The Oil wouldn't get a ton of value, but his contract is more or less market rate.

Hell, if Vinny ends up getting a big offer on the open market, I'd be fine with wishing him well and keeping Ceci in a 3rd pairing role.

Unless you absolutely need the full cap space, I think there would be teams that would take Ceci, if he's retained on. But to my earlier point, if there is a bottom 6 player, making similar money and the other team has a pressing need at bottom pairing RD, a trade can be made without sweeteners, Joel Armia/Brock McGinn type players, similar contract and term (not saying Montreal or Anaheim are fits for Ceci either btw).

I think this is the direction Edmonton ends up going in. Personally, I'd love a defensive centre with some size, like Faska or Sturm in return. Considering neither DAL or SJ are drowning in RHD I can see a fit.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Low turnover, low GA numbers (especially when not saddled with Nurse), tough minutes plus PK. And can still throw 20+ points on the board. Reason why he had the 3rd highest TOI/G for Edmonton in the playoffs. Coaches trusted him. Learning to play within his limits.

Decent enough but the value is in the RHD and making 600K under league average. Hard to see how Edmonton trades him, teammates like him and are always sticking up for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad