Coach Discussion: Dan Bylsma

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I actually see what's going on here.

Disco is terrified of Gorges-Franson and is trying to find ways to limit Cody's defensive shortcomings, so he's moving him up to the #1 offensive pairing with Bogosian.

The problem with all this is that our defense is going to continue to be bad so long as Risto is playing like this, and he's going to keep playing like this if he's stuck on Gorges island against #1 lines. If we have no qualms about playing Bogosian on the right, there's literally no reason not to just play:

Bogo-Risto
McCabe-Franson
Gorges-Kulikov

With Kulikov double shifting for Franson/Gorges based on score effects.
I would simply do Kulikov - Bogosian and McCabe - Ristolainen, give Kulikov - Bogosian the tougher minutes and starts.

Limit Gorges - Franson ice time. Play conservative when they are on the ice. Play them 14 minutes tops.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I have to say props to Disco.

He wants more from Reinhart and puts him in the best situation to get back on track. On a secondary line and at center. Now it's on Sam.

The cynic in me says Sam should have been there all along. But it's still a good adjustment. Made possible in part by the resurgence of Moulson. Also a smart move to put him up with ROR/KO. A reward for his bounce back play this year. Plus hoping to take advantage of his previous chemistry with KO

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I would simply do Kulikov - Bogosian and McCabe - Ristolainen, give Kulikov - Bogosian the tougher minutes and starts.

Limit Gorges - Franson ice time. Play conservative when they are on the ice. Play them 14 minutes tops.
That doesn't fix their problem, which is wasting favorable minutes. The issue is that Risto isn't seeing offensive deployments.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That doesn't fix their problem, which is wasting favorable minutes. The issue is that Risto isn't seeing offensive deployments.

I don't expect to ever see it but a Bogo/Risto and Kulikov/McCabe top 4 would be interesting. Have Kulikov/McCabe handling the top matchups.

In a very small sample size Bogo/Risto were quite effective together last season.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

You could give the hardest defensive minutes to 77-47, and use 29-55 in some more favorable situations. Leaving the easiest matchups for the bottom pair. Of course this requires Bogo to get his **** together, maybe playing the best players would make his play go up a notch.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't expect to ever see it but a Bogo/Risto and Kulikov/McCabe top 4 would be interesting. Have Kulikov/McCabe handling the top matchups.

In a very small sample size Bogo/Risto were quite effective together last season.

This will all be mitigated next year hopefully when a more mobile guy like Guhle can slot with Gorges on bottom pair for 14 minutes a night. Right now Franson and Gorges together is begging for trouble.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I have to say props to Disco.

He wants more from Reinhart and puts him in the best situation to get back on track. On a secondary line and at center. Now it's on Sam.

The cynic in me says Sam should have been there all along. But it's still a good adjustment. Made possible in part by the resurgence of Moulson. Also a smart move to put him up with ROR/KO. A reward for his bounce back play this year. Plus hoping to take advantage of his previous chemistry with KO

Maybe... maybe???? He's finally learning where his players belong???

Although I can see why it took a few games to give Moulson an opportunity on that type of line.

But if it works out the upside is huge.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The irony here, as I interpret it, is that if Reinhart "gets back on track" he'll get put back up a line or two and back at wing. That won't help the club unless only Okposo is worth a damn on the top line (in which case "help" only means scrounging up some level of ES offense above terrible).

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This will all be mitigated next year hopefully when a more mobile guy like Guhle can slot with Gorges on bottom pair for 14 minutes a night. Right now Franson and Gorges together is begging for trouble.

Doubt that would happen as they are both lefties.

I still wonder if Murray is going to get another D-man, either hand.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
no one

and then you people will spend the next game *****ing about that coach, he'll get fired, they'll hire another coach, etc etc

everyone is terrible and inept and their systems suck

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ugly: disco Dan has discovered a tactic to make 3 on 3 OT boring, and I'll be damned if it's not in widespread use by the end of the season.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Up 3-0 and blow the game, welcome to bylsma hockey folks. Get used to it is all i can say. Just get to our game. For the sake lf eichel and reinhart change coaches...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Up 3-0 and blow the game, welcome to bylsma hockey folks. Get used to it is all i can say. Just get to our game. For the sake lf eichel and reinhart change coaches...

Did he blow many 3 goal leads while having the most wins of any coach from 2008-2014?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad