Clutterbuck fined for Embellishment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aceonfire*

I can't say that he is a regular diver but I was at the game where Hall kneed him. I swear you would think someone shot him..

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I don't think this 'shaming' is as much as people are making it out to be. I really don't think Clutterbuck cares what any of us think about him and I'm sure the players and refs in the league are already well aware of the players who dive.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can't say that he is a regular diver but I was at the game where Hall kneed him. I swear you would think someone shot him..

As an Islanders fan I wouldn't say I ever seen Clutterbuck dive, but if somebody trips him or hits his face with a stick, he overdoes his reactions alot(ie embellishment). To me a dive is when you try turn something that wouldn't be called into a penalty, Clutterbuck basically goes out of his way to let it be known when something happens to him that should be a penalty(that might not otherwise if he doesn't overdo his reaction) basically he turns borderline stuff that most likely won't be called but technically is a penalty into penalties

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
:laugh:

You think Cal Clutterbuck cares about his reputation? :laugh:

Do you think that other players think less of Cal Clutterbuck because of this? Do you think his teammates do? His coach? :laugh:

Cough. Erm. Hm.. Serious now... Humiliation.

:laugh:

Clutterbucks finest moment was getting destroyed by the Islander goon a few years back. Much like Matt Cookes finest moment was getting one punched by an 18 year old evander kane.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I understand fines for blatant dives where the other player's stick is not even touching the player, but when they start punishing incidents like this it's a slippery slope to an inherently biased process where they are looking for ways to punish agitators. It takes the gamesmanship out of the game, and gamesmanship should always be a part of it.

To me, this incident shouldn't have resulted in a fine, and wouldn't have if it weren't Cal Clutterbuck. And there's the problem. Clutterbuck gets fined for an incident that gets a pass if it's a top-six player. Clutterbuck did have a good shooting position and Voracek did turn and put the stick under Clutterbuck's arm. That's a penalty. All Clutterbuck did was lift his arm and go on one knee. Sure, he embellished, but if he doesn't, the refs overlook the hook.

gLIn0cf.jpg

No, it absolutely should not. Gamesmanship is simply another form of cheating, and it makes the already difficult job of properly officiating a hockey game even more difficult. Keep the acting nonsense in soccer so it only ruins one sport.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I'm curious, does the new diving/embellishment fine scale last forever? One season? From what I've seen the rule doesn't seem clear.

1 season seems too short. I sure hope we never have anyone being caught 5, 6, 7, 8 times in one year.
Forever seems too long. Being fined for a your 2nd incident 10 years after your 1st seems too severe, even if the dollar amount is nothing to these guys

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Meh...if theyre fining/warning for stuff where it is actually a hook, bc thats what this was...then there should be a lot more fines coming up. If his name is Crosby/Bergeron/Nash/etc, no chance this is even a warning.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Clutterbucks finest moment was getting destroyed by the Islander goon a few years back. Much like Matt Cookes finest moment was getting one punched by an 18 year old evander kane.

I guess your best moment is comparing Cal Clutterbuck to Matt Cooke?

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
How did they miss Giroux's flopping in the same game? He did it three times on one shift! (Wish I could find the video.)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So his cap hit is $2.75 million a season. $2000 is .000727% of his annual cap hit. 000727% of $35,000 is $25.45. So if you make 35K a year would a fine of $25.50 be that much of a deterant? That doesn't even consider the factor that its very unlikely he is living paycheck to paycheck where an unexpected cost has an impact. These fines are pretty inadiquate.

jdz

May 22, 2013
He deserves a fine for having a name like Cal Clutterbuck

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
:handclap:

Haven't seen the video but fining embellishment and embarrassing the player is A-OK

Embellishment and diving is no more ridicilous than say triping a guy when he's on a breakaway. Against all sportsmanship and the rules.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Embellishment and diving is no more ridicilous than say triping a guy when he's on a breakaway. Against all sportsmanship and the rules.

Exactly how I feel. Trying to get away with a sneaky little hold of the stick is righteous play by some, while jerking your head back when a high stick comes near it is a major crime.

Pretending you didn't commit a penalty is no more honorable than pretending you've been penalized against. Both are bad, but only 1 gets people drooling mad.

Analyzer*

So his cap hit is $2.75 million a season. $2000 is .000727% of his annual cap hit. 000727% of $35,000 is $25.45. So if you make 35K a year would a fine of $25.50 be that much of a deterant? That doesn't even consider the factor that its very unlikely he is living paycheck to paycheck where an unexpected cost has an impact. These fines are pretty inadiquate.

Pretty much.

Some people get fined 2000 dollars for hitting someone from behind.

Compare that to the average person's salary and it's 20 bucks?

How many people would pay 20 bucks to hit someone they don't like from behind ?

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
No, it absolutely should not. Gamesmanship is simply another form of cheating, and it makes the already difficult job of properly officiating a hockey game even more difficult. Keep the acting nonsense in soccer so it only ruins one sport.

Gamesmanship isn't another form of cheating. It doesn't break any of the rules.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Pretty much.

Some people get fined 2000 dollars for hitting someone from behind.

Compare that to the average person's salary and it's 20 bucks?

How many people would pay 20 bucks to hit someone they don't like from behind ?

Some do. But some get fined 73k for hitting someone from behind and that hurts a little.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Embellishment wouldnt matter if the refs actually called penalties. Anyone who thinks this isnt a learned behavior due to the condition of reffing in hockey needs to wake up.

Also I think they need to be very careful for embellishment on high sticks, how many times in your life have you violently dodged a fake punch, or someone faking throwing something at you. Instinct makes you react to a sudden object touching/in your face. I dont think its right to penalize someone for inadvertently dodging a stick, even if no contact was made.

Just dont call a high stick if it didnt happen. no harm no foul.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation

Tripping someone is part of the game, as recognized by the penalty. Diving and pretending you got high sticked are penalties called so notoriously poorly, the league is doing something (correctly for once) to try and help the issue.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Tripping someone is part of the game, as recognized by the penalty. Diving and pretending you got high sticked are penalties called so notoriously poorly, the league is doing something (correctly for once) to try and help the issue.

Isnt embellishment a penalty now? Im not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad