Post-Game Talk: Clodefish Undefeated B's 3 NYR 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I don't see how Kelly "Instigated" he reacted. It's dumb and Kreider didn't even get a double minor or major penalty.

Perversely, the instigator rule kicks in when a player starts a fight in retaliation for an earlier event.

Although by reading the rule, you wouldn't expect it to be applied to someone who goes off instantaneously like that. It seems that it is worded to prevent stuff like the Orpik incident (where Thornton goes after a guy for a hit made in an earlier period). This was a misapplication of the rule. The problem is that the rule gives refs wide latitude to be applied by a clause referencing "distance traveled, gloves off first, first punch thrown" as criteria.

By that criteria, Marcus Foligno who went after Bartkowski in the Sabres game (after making a suicide pass to Gionta) would have to get one, and I don't think he did.

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
You're taking a comment from one person as representative of the entire fan base?

The problem with other fans' perception of Edwards is that the vast majority of the time you're hearing his "highlights" (or "lowlights" as the case may be). If you really want to make a considered, fair judgment of his announcing, you can't go by a few selected clips.

He knows hockey, he knows the players (he's one of the best around at identifying opposing players; none of this "and the defenseman takes the shot," he knows who that defenseman is, his hometown, and who his usual partner is too), and he'll get just as excited over a great play by a non-Bruin as he will a Bruin. He calls goals with excitement for both teams, and he appreciates good players no matter who they play for. He'd probably adopt Steven Stamkos if he could, just for one example.

Of course he's a homer - he's calling the game for Bruins fans, what do you expect? Every announcer is a homer. But he'll give credit - or criticism - where it's due. He has most certainly called out Bruins who have made dumb or dirty plays. The difference is, when an opponent does so, he'll call them out WITH RELISH, and again, what do you expect? What announcer doesn't?

my friend, this is not based on a clip here or there, this is based on numerous instances

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
I dont love Jack by any means but I also don't dislike him. What I don't get is why do other teams fans care about announcers not announcing their teams games.

Like I don't give 2 sh*ts about who announces the Coyotes games nor do I care if their biased. I prefer biased announcers who are announcing for fans of that team. I just don't really get it..don't listen to him if you don't like it.

Jack doesn't announce for a Flames fan tuning in to a Bruins/Habs game. Almost all his listeners will be Bruins fans so thats who he tries to entertain.

i see you're point

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
i see you're point

All in all, most B's fans are generally fairly happy with Jack Edwards.
We're not stupid -- we realize that he's a shameless homer -- but he really gets excited about the game, and as long as he doesn't make any jarring anti-Bruins statements (which he obviously almost NEVER does), you just go with it, and enjoy the ride. It makes games a lot more fun. He & Brick also know their hockey better than most. I'd get frustrated with him if I were not a local fan, but for those of us who are Bruins fans, it really does adds to the experience.

Once in a while one gets a little weary (oh, are we crapping on Erik Karlsson for his poor defense again?)
But he's really just playing to the home audience. He's not trying to be Doc Emrick, and that's o.k.
I don't really enjoy listening to the Philly homer announcers, but I almost never have to. The other announcers who I hear a lot are Edmonton's - and they are really impartial. They are also as dull as watching paint dry. So, warts and all, I like Jack, and I'm not alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad