Clarkson Vs Komarov Vs Grabovski

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
ummm Grabovski still doesn't fit on this team. I will take Bolland + Holland over Grabovski every day of the week. That isn't a knock against Grabovski, he simply just doesn't fit on this team.

I would however take McArthur over Clarkson.

Who wouldn't want Komarov??

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
This thread is kinda dumb.

I don't understand how you explain that MacArthur said he wouldn't be back and that's enough to not include him on the list, yet Komarov who WAS offered a contract and turned it down to take bigger money in the KHL IS included.

And for that matter, Grabovski was clearly unhappy with his role on the team, and who is to say there would not have been a massive blow-out at some point this season, thereby forcing a trade.

Grabovski was totally replaced with a much better player in Dave Bolland.

Clarkson was brought in as a replacement for Matt Frattin/Clarke MacArthur. Sure, he's had a pretty terrible season, but MacA wasn't an option, and Frattin's season has been as bad or worse. So I don't see it as a step backward.

My vote was to have Komarov and Clarkson, even though it obviously wasn't an option to have Komarov. But I hope he is brought back next year, having made his money in the KHL.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The added bonus of having bought out Grabovski is that it prevented us from using the CBO on Liles instead, which turned out great because we got a great player in Gleason in the process when we might've had nothing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
In a perfect world, Burke would have just waited until after the lockout to offer Grabovski a contract.

Losing him for nothing would have been irrelevant, because we did anyways, and without the $5.5M contract, we might've had a chance to nab him at a significantly better price.

And I agree that Grabovski would have been a great option on the wing, especially since Carlyle loves having two players on the ice who can play C.

In a perfect, hindsight gifted world, we would have passed on Clarkson, not signed Grabo till after the lockout and gotten him at around $3.3M and then brought in Bolland to play C on that 3rd line.

Ah, but that's dreaming...

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Komarov only. And for any of those that feel he isn't missed, give your heads a shake!

Grabs hasn't done anything terribly impressive in Washington, was never going to live up to that contract, and has hit his ceiling. Kadri & Bolland both replace him easily.

3rd line for next season:

Komarov - Bolland - Clarkson

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Komarov is reported to be wanting to come back to the NHL. Has there been anything in Leaf Nation to say he has interest in returning to TO? Any insider thoughts? Thanks.

dougy

Mar 31, 2007
Why are people still talking about Grabovski??

He was a very liked player, wore his heart on his sleeve (literally he got a leafs logo tattoo) and it showed in the way he played. People respect that about players. I haven't seen any player give as much effort on the ice as he did probably since Tucker/Sundin/Roberts and this leafs team is sorely lacking that intensity. That's not to say he would be the answer to all our problems, far from it. He was what he was, a 50 pt center you can slot on your 2nd or 3rd line, but i don't know anybody who wouldn't want to see that level of emotion on this team right now.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I would've taken Grabo over Clarkson straight up. Yes Grabo didn't do anything in the playoffs, but damn it was actually nice to see someone try to create an offensive spike. And its not like Clarkson doesn't try either, he is just bad at everything he does and instead of causing a spark he just kills everything.

I mean whenever you look at what line Clarkson plays on its essentially just a two player line and you can't have that.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
I'd obviously rather have Grabovski and Komarov based on this season.

What's the point of this thread? You know the answer. One guy's had a bad season, the other hasn't. I'd rather not pay either guy $5 million, yet somehow everybody ignores the fact that that's the amount Grabo was making to underperform.

You guys all complain about Mason Raymond but excuse Grabovski who was literally the exact same player with a little bit more grit and a little bit less offensive production.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He was a very liked player, wore his heart on his sleeve (literally he got a leafs logo tattoo) and it showed in the way he played. People respect that about players. I haven't seen any player give as much effort on the ice as he did probably since Tucker/Sundin/Roberts and this leafs team is sorely lacking that intensity. That's not to say he would be the answer to all our problems, far from it. He was what he was, a 50 pt center you can slot on your 2nd or 3rd line, but i don't know anybody who wouldn't want to see that level of emotion on this team right now.

100% agreed. I LOVED the way he played with full intensity and effort every shift, even when things weren't going right for him.

It's funny because that is exactly what we're missing this year. We don't play with intensity and effort like Grabovski did. Maybe were missing that aspect due to him missing now? It actually makes a lot of sense. Countless times he's gotten this team fired up when he played for us. He became a victim of his own contract, and he was EXTREMELY upset when we bought him out, the anger he displayed when we bought him out clearly showed that he loved playing for this team, which is why he was a 100% effort and intensity kind of guy. Also doesn't change the fact that 2nd, or 3rd line, he's infinitely more useful than Clarkson. I love Bolland too, but that's not the point I'm making. I'm 100% sure Grabo would be way more useful on 2nd or 3rd line RW than Clarkson is anywhere.

That being said, I take Grabo 10/10 times over Clarkson.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Grabo is on pace for 54 points over 82 games.

4 points in the last 15 games, pretty sure he's been scratched although someone can check on that.

I never understand when people miss players like macarthur and Grabo, they are the decent players you fill your team with when it's a bubble playoff team, they give you supporting scoring but dont really fit a specific role on the team(I.e Macarthur is a 40ish-50 point tweener, Grabo is a small 2nd line 40-50 point scorer) They are very upgradeable(i.e Kadri when he hits his prime, or Bolland as he's fit for a 3rd line position)

Komarov however is a missing roll on this team, he's much faster than clarkson, a better agitator.

I didn't mind clarkson earlier in the season, i think around when he scored his first couple he was doing okay, i thought he'd pick it up, but really i've never seen a player have so little impact on the ice, he cycles a bit but is rarely involved in a good play.

Komarov is needed back on this bottom 6, I really hope Clarkson at least gives us 30 points or so next season.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Komarov and Komarov only. He was the identity of this team. He was the one who made this team tough to play against and I can almost guarantee Nonis won't sign him in the offseason. Why? Because he is dumb and would rather overpay to get high-priced, useless UFA's like Clarkson rather than focus his energy on actual team needs.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Komarov and Komarov only. He was the identity of this team. He was the one who made this team tough to play against and I can almost guarantee Nonis won't sign him in the offseason. Why? Because he is dumb and would rather overpay to get high-priced, useless UFA's like Clarkson rather than focus his energy on actual team needs.

I like Komarov, but you're kidding yourself if you think Komarov who is a 4th liner is going to change this team drastically.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
4 points in the last 15 games, pretty sure he's been scratched although someone can check on that.

I never understand when people miss players like macarthur and Grabo, they are the decent players you fill your team with when it's a bubble playoff team, they give you supporting scoring but dont really fit a specific role on the team(I.e Macarthur is a 40ish-50 point tweener, Grabo is a small 2nd line 40-50 point scorer) They are very upgradeable(i.e Kadri when he hits his prime, or Bolland as he's fit for a 3rd line position)

Komarov however is a missing roll on this team, he's much faster than clarkson, a better agitator.

I didn't mind clarkson earlier in the season, i think around when he scored his first couple he was doing okay, i thought he'd pick it up, but really i've never seen a player have so little impact on the ice, he cycles a bit but is rarely involved in a good play.

Komarov is needed back on this bottom 6, I really hope Clarkson at least gives us 30 points or so next season.

Yes. Although Grabovski WAS what David Clarkson CLAIMED to be. Watch a playoff game from last year. Grabovski is in the mix all the time. Fighting for possession. Mixing it up when he needed to.

I hate this thread because it reminds me of the horrendous decision of letting that guy go. It was a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad