Chychrun’s Megathread V (poll added)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Chychrun Be Traded Before The Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
So Marc Methot and the reporter (Brent Wallace) that recently reported that Ottawa is still interested in Chychrun have a show together, and they brought up an interesting item this morning.

Could the Coyotes be targeting a goalie prospect, specifically Mads Sogaard?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
So Marc Methot and the reporter (Brent Wallace) that recently reported that Ottawa is still interested in Chychrun have a show together, and they brought up an interesting item this morning.

Hard to tell is if this is complete speculation or not. At first it sounds like they just looked at our roster and prospect pool to come to this. But then they elaborate about Wallace's research and that line "saying it without saying it".

I think BA is looking to get a top goalie. He has already been tied to three (Swayman, Demko and Knight). How's Sogaard compare?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hard to tell is if this is complete speculation or not. At first it sounds like they just looked at our roster and prospect pool to come to this. But then they elaborate about Wallace's research and that line "saying it without saying it".

I think BA is looking to get a top goalie. He has already been tied to three (Swayman, Demko and Knight). How's Sogaard compare?
I don't know a lot about Sogaard except that he's very tall. Seems to be a good prospect, but then again who can tell with goalies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Very interesting Garrioch video, here. Lots of good nuggets.

1. Sens need a trade for a Top4D to be dollar-for-dollar

2. They've been trying hard for some time to get someone to take Zaitsev, might be easier now that $2mil SB is paid. With a sweetener, the Coyotes will take that contract.

3. Sens have been in on Chychrun for months - Chychrun has warmed up on Sens over time

4. Asking price (from talking to other teams) is 2x 1sts, a prospect, and maybe another piece

5. Chychrun's deal being 3 years is perfect, Sens don't want too little or too much term - they like the flexibility

6. There are four teams who've been around the whole time; OTT, ANA, LAK, and FLA
-ANA signed Klingberg
-ARI doesn't want to help LAK
-FLA doesn't have the chips (I assume he's not counting Knight)
-OTT is the clear front-runner

7. CBJ thought they had a deal at the draft, it fell through, not sure why but CBJ thought it was a done deal

8. ARI has NEVER been willing to bend an inch on their price

9. There's no urgency on August 15th. Maybe September 15th, before camp there's pressure. Until after Labor Day, no reason for a deal to happen without pressure.

10. Sanderson, Greig, Pinto likely not on the table, not with the rest of that price (the 2x 1sts)

11. OTT needs clarity on what's going to happen with Brannstrom, not close on a deal, he's overvaluing himself (could be in play?)

12. OTT wanted to give Klingberg a 4 year deal, may be disappointed he didn't sign.

--interesting side-note, they think Thomson is the darkhorse to make the team, and has jumped over JBD, really excited about Lassi Thomson

My take-aways:

I think taking Zaitsev and Brannstrom off their hands, solves a lot of problems for Dorion. And I think Brannstrom is a good dice-roll for BA. And a good fill-in candidate for Chychrun. And I think he's a great candidate to be the "and possibly even another piece" piece.

I think OTT probabaly wants to keep Thomson, given they'd be losing Brannstrom and Zaitsev in the deal and getting only Chychrun back. He's more NHL ready, it sounds like.

I don't think JBD has the value to be that non-Sanderson/Pinto/Greig piece. I don't think Sogaard is going anywhere. I think that leaves Boucher, Kleven, Ostapchuk, and Jarventie as the options.

My best-guess as of today:

To OTT:
Chychrun

To ARI:
Zaitsev
Brannstrom
Boucher/Kleven/Ostapchuk/Jarventie
OTT '23 1st
OTT '24 1st

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
While I like what Boucher brings "in theory", it's really hard to consider him as the prospect we want given we don't know exactly what he'll be. I would be fine for Boucher to be the return for taking Zaitsev, but I'm not sure I'd want him to be one of the key pieces in the Chychrun return. I also wonder if OTT would trade him just based on the kind of pride & optics of moving a player they reached on so much last year (just a hunch there).

@rt and anyone else, I know that Greig would still be the ideal target (and though would also mean few other pieces being added) in a trade return, but what are your thoughts on Jarventie and Ostapchuk after watching the tournament thus far?

I see Ostapchuk as a 3rd line C and while I like aspects on his game, I wonder if he really brings something that's significantly different than what McBain projects to bring in general, and don't see him supplanting Hayton as 3C long term. Jarventie has been putting up impressive numbers, but a lot of that is coming on the PP. I have not personally watched a lot of the Finland games yet so I can't comment too much on his overall game beyond that.

If we break up the Zaitsev dump a little bit from the Chychrun return, do you see this as fair?

- 2023 1st + 2023 2nd + Kleven as the "Chychrun return"

- one of Jarventie or Ostapchuk or Boucher as the Zaitsev cap dump return.

The Zaitsev return is a bit light in a vacuum, but I know we've all discussed that we're kind of going lighter on the Zaitsev cap dump part if we're combining it with a Chychrun return that is up to par.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Boucher, Ostapchuk and Jarventie all get lost in our prospect depth chart pretty quick. Especially after another draft or two.

That’s not true for Kleven, or especially for Sogaard. Each shoots straight to the top of their respective positional prospect depth charts (LD and G).

Reactions: Grimes

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Before the deadline, Marek and Friedman were all about this narrative that BA wanted a goalie.

Given how rough Ottawa’s goalie situation is (not much better than ours, if any) this could be the sticking point on the trade. The two 1sts, Brannstrom and Zaitsev might be settled. We might be demanding Sogaard and Dorion might be telling us to take Kleven, Boucher, Ostapchuk or Jarventie instead.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Boucher, Ostapchuk and Jarventie all get lost in our prospect depth chart pretty quick. Especially after another draft or two.

That’s not true for Kleven, or especially for Sogaard. Each shoots straight to the top of their respective positional prospect depth charts (LD and G).

Agreed. That's why I think Kleven has to be the guy the package is built around if it's not one of Greig/Pinto.

The one thing I'm surprised you haven't included in your proposals -- because perhaps it's even too complex for your proposals :sarcasm: -- is the idea of swapping more picks to get it done.

Specifically, if I think about 2 different examples: the Brandon Hagel trade, in which CHI made it a lot easier for TB to swallow giving up 2 1st rounders in addition to 2 prospects because they also sent 2 4th round picks back to Tampa.

Another example is BA's own behavior at this past draft, packaging multiple later picks to move up given that there's simply too many picks, and the best utility for the excess picks is to package quantity for quality.

So I wonder if we could see something in which multiple later picks (2nds/3rds/4ths) are sent back to OTT to make it easier for them to part with 1st rounders.

So perhaps something like: Chychrun + WSH 2023 3rd + COL's 2024 3rd for Kleven + 2023 1st + 2024 1st

Just using that as an example to get them to give up TWO 1sts because they're at least getting some extra picks back (that of course doesn't include whatever ++ they're adding for a Zaitsev dump). So I think we definitely should expect the possibility of some later picks going back to OTT to get them over the line with giving up some higher picks or another one of their prospects.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
Call me crazy but I think the Kadri to Calgary news is going to speed up the Chychrun process. The Islanders just lost their guy in Kadri, maybe they turn their attention to Chychrun. I believe they were rumored to have interest, right? One of the interested parties is going to pounce before they lose him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Call me crazy but I think the Kadri to Calgary news is going to speed up the Chychrun process. The Islanders just lost their guy in Kadri, maybe they turn their attention to Chychrun. I believe they were rumored to have interest, right? One of the interested parties is going to pounce before they lose him.
They just traded a top pick for Romanov though. So I’m not sure.

But yeah. According to Craig Morgan the islanders are the ones the started this whole Chychrun trade mess. Their very loud interest is what got him to start thinking. Combined with trading all his friends and his new coach giving his primo minutes to a cap dump pushing 30.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
My best-guess as of today:

To OTT:
Chychrun

To ARI:
Zaitsev
Brannstrom
Boucher/Kleven/Ostapchuk/Jarventie
OTT '23 1st
OTT '24 1st

Don't get me WRONG, I really, really like Chychrun, BUT WOW, that seems like OTT is giving up an awful lot. Got to be his contract they like.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
They just traded a top pick for Romanov though. So I’m not sure.

But yeah. According to Craig Morgan the islanders are the ones the started this whole Chychrun trade mess. Their very loud interest is what got him to start thinking. Combined with trading all his friends and his new coach giving his primo minutes to a cap dump pushing 30.
forgot about Romanov

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Pinto, Sogaard, 2023 1st*, 2024 1st** for Chychrun, Timmins, Kirk, 2023 2nd*, 2023 3rd, 2024 3rd.

* If the pick is top 10, Arizona replaces the 2023 2nd with a 2024 3rd and receives Ottawa's 2023 2nd and 2024 2nd.

** If the pick is top 10, Arizona receives an unprotected 2025 1st.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just get it done before the season starts, please!!

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Really hoping some other team jumps in to snag him from Ottawa. They're pissing me off.

Also, Craig keeps talking about how there's going to a sit down between Chychrun, BA and Tourigny to discuss why he sucked so bad last season. I really wonder how that'll go and if it'll slow down or accelerate a trade.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com

This feels like the typical Morgan quote he has to publish because his inside connections are asking him to pour a little cold water on things. Everything stated in this is already known and to me the only reason why he would feel like he needs to reiterate something like this is because he has been asked to.

Just a guess. He could always be tweeting something like this because a barrage of fans have hit him up and he doesn't want his phone going off every five minutes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

How do we feel about Kravtsov as the prospect?

Pretty bad. Prefer Othmann by a wide margin. Rangers would need retention too so the return would be just as good if not better than Ottawa.

Othmann + Jones/Roberston + picks. Garand being a wildcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad