Proposal: CHI-NASH-TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nashville has a lot of retained $ and dead cap next season and might need retention on Marner.

To Nash: Mitch Marner (@5.9 mill and then extended)
To Tor: Seth Jones (9Mill) and Nash 4th round round pick
To Chi: Nash 1st, Tampa 2nd (from Nash)

Chi retains $5 mill on Marner and $500k on Jones

Tor gets a #1RD, 4 time all-star, and a guy who plays the 5th most minutes in the NHL....also finally plays on a good team with a good top pairing D.
Nash gets All-Star Mitch Marner for the long term and cap flexibility for next season to make another run at the playoffs
Chi continues to build up the prospects and assets and would have picks number #2, #18, #22, in the first round and #34, #50 and #53 in the 2nd round

So Chicago retains an enormous amount of money and trades away the first pairing defender and all they get back is two draft picks?

This is absurd.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So Chicago retains an enormous amount of money and trades away the first pairing defender and all they get back is two draft picks?

This is absurd.
I had a second look at it. They're retaining 5.9 mill for one year on Marner. The return on that would be Nashvilles first and second. Which is fair value

I think there are different views on Seth Jones value at 9.5 million. 6 years remaining at 9.5 per. Is it that much of an albatross that Chicago would be happy to get rid of it for zero return? I don't think so. As you said hes still a first pairing defenseman, overpaid sure but his cap likely isn't going to be an issue for Chicago for the next 3-4 years.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
In any Marner trade a key factor will be the timing.

1) After July 1st this year, his salary will be league minimum and the rest will have been paid as a bonus. (The cap value will still be almost $11 million.) Thus the retention will cost very little in cash to a team that does not intend to spend to the cap maximum.

2) Marner cannot be extended until July 1. His value will be much higher if he is extended and not a one-year rental.

3) Trade proposals that include 2024 draft choices will mean that Marner is traded at the full salary cost and before his contract can be extended and filed with the league.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Seth Jones at full hit a 4th rounder? That's disgusting. At a full hit he's a negative asset.
On the defensive side of center ice he is worth double what Rielly gets.

Anyone who sees Seth Jones play won't want him.
LOL, that’s good because Chicago isn’t offering. Who was the last #1 Dman to play for the Leafs? Salming?

• Haha
Reactions: RunItBackAgain

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Anyone who sees Seth Jones play won't want him.

Depends.

His defense is still mostly very solid to elite in his zone. But he's a black hole on offense when he opts to take lots of shots & QB plays which he does too much on the Blackhawks. If he stuck to his D game and focused more on possession in the offensive zone that would be ideal. He's a top pairing shut down guy though, no question about that. He'll still win the battle on the walls against the best forwards in the league.

Seeing as the Hawks just traded a pick to move up a couple spots I doubt a mid to late first will get a deal on Jones done.

In a realistic scenario Hawks retain and get a better return.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I had a second look at it. They're retaining 5.9 mill for one year on Marner. The return on that would be Nashvilles first and second. Which is fair value

I think there are different views on Seth Jones value at 9.5 million. 6 years remaining at 9.5 per. Is it that much of an albatross that Chicago would be happy to get rid of it for zero return? I don't think so. As you said hes still a first pairing defenseman, overpaid sure but his cap likely isn't going to be an issue for Chicago for the next 3-4 years.

This proposed trade also has Chicago using a retention spot - for six years! - in order to give away their top pairing defenseman.

There's zero chance the Hawks would ever entertain such a moronic idea.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
This proposed trade also has Chicago using a retention spot - for six years! - in order to give away their top pairing defenseman.

There's zero chance the Hawks would ever entertain such a moronic idea.
SJ just did it for 3x the money and for 6.5 years.....

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
SJ just did it for 3x the money and for 6.5 years.....

...And they received a 2023 First Round Pick and a 2025 First Round Pick, among other picks, in exchange.

In this proposed deal, they use two retention spots, one of them for five million dollars and they get a half the return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad