Cheapest Readily Available Ticket to NHL Games in Prague: € 160

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Just curious.. we calling the NHL bastards.. the Czechs bastards... Or both? Because one I will defend and the other I won't.lol

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What jerks!

I hope the arena is half-empty at most.

Keep your overpriced games in North America, don't bother to drag your asses over here.
Wait until you hear about how expensive tickets can be in Canada and the US.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My best friend is Czech. His family came here after the Soviet invasion.....so I say both ;)

Funny enough, his self-deprecating self would agree.
Fun fact.. most Czechs came to Canada in 1968 or 1980. Those were the two big waves. Tell your friend hi for me!

• Love
Reactions: snag

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seems a bit much I can see Penguins in Calgary for around $42.50.... Granted this was at the zoo. :sarcasm::laugh:
f3a4db6462b89bea16eeb2ef38680740.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Local demographics matter greatly because it affects demand. The more people that can comfortably afford to the attend, the more people that want to attend, and the higher prices go.
Its simple microeconomics. Demand has to be there to satisfy the cost of supply. The NHL isnt going there to grow the game, the NHL is going there to make money. Those tickets will sell out regardless. The average person cant afford to go to an NHL game in most locations. Tickets in places like Toronto are even worse.

Does it suck? Yep. Do I feel for local fans? Sure do.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Its simple microeconomics. Demand has to be there to satisfy the cost of supply. The NHL isnt going there to grow the game, the NHL is going there to make money. Those tickets will sell out regardless. The average person cant afford to go to an NHL game in most locations. Tickets in places like Toronto are even worse.

No they’re going there to throw the game first and foremost. They’re ensuring that they’ll make money with these ticket prices but that’s to cover the logistical costs and be able to play their players.

The money is made by making more NHL fans in Prague who will maybe buy a Center Ice package or some jerseys or something. Not from the individual game itself. If this was a SCF game and they could charge outlandish prices then you’d have a point but I can’t imagine they’re making much more, if anything at all, for a regular season game. Especially when you figure they have to plan for this logistically and ship a drove of people out there to setup, organize, and maintain NHL standards.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
No they’re going there to throw the game first and foremost. They’re ensuring that they’ll make money with these ticket prices but that’s to cover the logistical costs and be able to play their players.

The money is made by making more NHL fans in Prague who will maybe buy a Center Ice package or some jerseys or something. Not from the individual game itself. If this was a SCF game and they could charge outlandish prices then you’d have a point but I can’t imagine they’re making much more, if anything at all, for a regular season game. Especially when you figure they have to plan for this logistically and ship a drove of people out there to setup, organize, and maintain NHL standards.
NHL is not thinking about merch or center ice. They are looking at X dollars going out and Y dollars coming in. Merch is going to be bought regardless if tickets were 25 Euros or 250 Euros. There is a finite amount of tickets available. The NHL is pricing them to where they can make the most money and still sell out.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
NHL is not thinking about merch or center ice. They are looking at X dollars going out and Y dollars coming in. Merch is going to be bought regardless if tickets were 25 Euros or 250 Euros. There is a finite amount of tickets available. The NHL is pricing them to where they can make the most money and still sell out.
Players still need to get paid for these games. If they sell a bunch of $25 tickets then they’re at a loss. The cost of tickets, while unfortunate for the locals, is to guarantee they cover their expenses if I had to guess.

Prague arena ~17.5k capacity x $160 = $2.8m minimum

Bell Center capacity is ~21.1k in order to make $2.8m for a game at the Bell they’d have to charge about $130/ticket minimum. You can get $90ish tickets in the 400 level at that stadium but 300 level is going to cost you $130+ by and large based on a superficial look at stubhub. Quick look at avg gate revenue says that the Habs made on average about $2.3m for each of their 41 home games. Maybe my numbers are off.

Either way I don't think the league is gouging here this is just the operating costs + a little extra to make sure this whole thing is not a financial loss. Primary objective is to grow the game. Making an extra $1.5m (at most) isn't going to move the needle much for a league generating $4++Billion a year in revenue. Especially when you factor in what I would imagine are hefty logistics of making this game happen.

Could be wrong, just doesn't seem like the league is intentionally trying to squeeze these people out of every penny they've got

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Paying about 800 bux to take my wife and daughter to the season/home opener....and our seats are on the roof I think ;)
Fair but surely you understand a husband in Prague taking his wife and daughter to this game, spending at least $480 on tickets alone + whatever else is probably going to hurt more in a country where people generally make less money than canadians and americans.

No one is denying tickets are expensive. The Blackhawks have been ass since 2017 and their tickets are still a ton of money, i'm right there with ya pal. It's just not seeing the whole picture for people to say "Oh i wish i only had to pay $160!"

Reactions: luiginb and Xirik

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
The average salaries in USD of the original six teams' cities is 2-3x that of Czechia and other similar countries

This isnt that difficult - the NHL is charging North American prices for games theyre bringing to non-North American countries, and ones that are worse off

It isnt hard for these billion-dollar leagues to take a hit on games that are for different causes - isnt it supposed to be in the interest of growing the game? Yet a large majority of the few games will now be priced out of the local market and sold to foreigners visiting (and those foreigners who are already NHL fans)
You don’t think when they sell to the rich in North America they aren’t going to do the same in Europe? NHL doesn’t care how hardcore of fan you are they care about your money.

Reactions: joestevens29

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Not at all true but okay

Why do you think Bettman expanded to southern US markets? Was it to sell the most tix day 1?

You have zero concept of business if you believe the bolded and I’m not even getting into a discussion.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Considering the games are so dull nowadays view it as an opportunity to do something fun instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad