Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is just the same offseason stuff the insiders poop out every year to brag up lots of changes, and then we see not even half the stuff they predicted happen. I bet they change coaches and make smaller changes to the roster. You can't make massive changes to the roster every year as locker rooms need time to gel, and making changes that are big every season hurts that. Bet you they get a coach that has more offence to his game plan and Huberdeau is back to himself.

Huberdeau and Weegar are clearly not Sutter type players and that is on Treliving for bringing in players he knows his coach isn't fond of. No different than TOR bringing in Babcock when they have offensive minded guys in Matthews, Marner and Nylander. You get both a coach that fits your roster and players that fit the coach you pick, otherwise it is bound to end in mess.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
What would the asking price be for Hanifin? Would the Pens 2023 1st, 14th-17th pick be enough?

Doesn't sound like it would be enough but with him only signed for one more year. Maybe one of the Pens young D-men as well, POJ or Ty Smith.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What would the asking price be for Hanifin? Would the Pens 2023 1st, 14th-17th pick be enough?

Doesn't sound like it would be enough but with him only signed for one more year. Maybe one of the Pens young D-men as well, POJ or Ty Smith.
Only idiot teams trade a mid teen pick in a very good drsft for Hanifin.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't watch the Flames enough to fully understand what is going on.. but just taking a look at Markstrom, and his 0.892 vs. 0.922 last year... and that difference is 42 goals. Clearly there is more going on than that, but even saving half of that, and the Flames are likely a playoff team. Goalies are voodoo, and when you have it, your team plays better in front of them as well. It's a solidly built team, great D, but I wouldn't be rushing to blow it up yet. See if Markstrom can regain form next year, and if it's not working, then sell off pieces. Either way, it doesn't matter how you tweak the roster, if Markstrom throws up another sub .900 year, the team isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't watch the Flames enough to fully understand what is going on.. but just taking a look at Markstrom, and his 0.892 vs. 0.922 last year... and that difference is 42 goals. Clearly there is more going on than that, but even saving half of that, and the Flames are likely a playoff team. Goalies are voodoo, and when you have it, your team plays better in front of them as well. It's a solidly built team, great D, but I wouldn't be rushing to blow it up yet. See if Markstrom can regain form next year, and if it's not working, then sell off pieces. Either way, it doesn't matter how you tweak the roster, if Markstrom throws up another sub .900 year, the team isn't going anywhere.
Flames are 7th in the Western Conference for goals against, 9th in goals for.
Flames are 2nd in the Western Conference for goals against, 6th in goals for.

Yes, Markstrom's relatively poor season has resulted in more 1 goal game losses than you normally see (of any NHL team) and maybe the Flames would have more wins if he had played better.

But to me it looks like the relative lack of scoring (Gaudreau and Tkachuk's output not met) has hurt the team more.

You could say this is an adjustment season brought on by the significant changes the team saw during the off season.

Will there be more significant changes next year? I think there might be. The Flames most likely will be getting a new arena in (roughly) three years. Do they make big changes again this off season in management or personnel?

Maybe. But youngsters are being brought along so the urgency for a seismic shift may not be as great as some would feel.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I really doubt they’ll “erupt” with a flurry of rebuild moves.

The Flames have shown that as an organization, they’re content with being the mediocre, playoff cameo team. They’ll probably flip their assets for more sideways moves that will help them achieve their goal of being that mediocre forgettable team

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Isn't rebuilding somewhat out of the question since they traded their 1st to Montreal? Believe it can only be pushed to 2026.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
Matthew Tkachuk could be a great option for them. Perhaps Gaudreau as well.

Probably need to trade Huberdeau and Weegar though.

OMG he's done it !!!

1680280593033.png

Bond

May 10, 2012
Isn't rebuilding somewhat out of the question since they traded their 1st to Montreal? Believe it can only be pushed to 2026.
If Flames rebuild then the chances are they end up with Florida’s pick in 25.

Reactions: Double Dion

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d pretty much come back with the same roster + Wolf and Coronato. Minus Lucic and Ritchie. Bring the band back once more and if it doesn’t work than move on from Tanev, Backlund (maybe), Toffoli, and possibly Lindholm at the deadline. Obviously, if there is a too good to be true deal out there you make it.

I’m signing Ras and Hanifin long term though. They can have Weegar contracts. The D on this team is the heart of the team and with Wolf that’s a combo I feel that will keep the Flames competitive.

We have several good young pieces coming so trades aren’t as pressing as some people seem to think.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I’d pretty much come back with the same roster + Wolf and Coronato. Bring the band back once more and if it doesn’t work than move on from Tanev, Backlund (maybe), Toffoli, and possibly Lindholm at the deadline. Obviously, if there is a too good to be true deal out there you make it.

I’m signing Ras and Hanifin long term though. Weegar contracts. The D on this team is the heart of the team and with Wolf that’s a combo I feel that will keep the Flames competitive.

We have several good young pieces coming so trades aren’t as pressing as some people seem to think.
My question would be what the end game is. Do you think this team can be a top 5 to 8 contender for the cup rather than a 9th to 20th place team? I do think we can stay playoff competitive without rebuilding. I don't think we can win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad