Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tanev is an older, more injury prone player yet you are talking about a 1st and a prospect for a player that might play for 3 more years and hang it up? Besides, the Flames will be rebuilding and would trade Tanev to save cap space
I don't think you're grasping that the Flames can easily move him for a 1st + something small at the deadline. Why would they even consider taking back a cap dump and a 2nd for him?

I'd bet on it. They're not a bad team by any means. And if they get good goaltending, they're a roster that can push for 100 points.

The problem is that there's no guarantee of sustainability. And the way their cap situation and farm system are progressing, there's no point where their roster fits the contender mold. No elite players are coming in to push them over the top. And Tre hasn't given them a ton of flexibility over the next few seasons where it's more important they push for the playoffs.
This is a good post. Yes, we can rebound next year. The issue is and always has been that all of our value contracts expire next year except Andersson. You either have to pay up for Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Kylington, Hanifin, Tanev and Toffoli or move them out. Can't let more assets walk for nothing.

The only incorrect thing you've said is Treliving put them there. It's well established that the owner set this direction not Treliving. The British taxpayer Norman wants us to pay for a rink while he rakes in the profits.

Reactions: viper0220

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Myers is an expiring contract and Flames take him to accomodate the trade. Myers will play one year for Flames as a place holder and tank captain to insure Flames get a nice pick, similar to the role Uber doo is playing. Having 2 tank captains is better than one.

Yeah....the ownership isn't paying a guy like Myers $6 million to be purposely bad. Maybe if the Canucks pay his $5 million signing bonus, another team will take him as a cap dump and pay out the $1 million? That would have to be after the Flames sell off the rest of their team first though.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The Flames need to sell off a few valuable but replaceable assets for futures to maximize the value of our asset pool going forward. Hanifin, Toffoli, Coleman (if there is any interest), possibly Mang or Dube, Vladar. Then you consider moving Backlund and Tanev for a first+ if we don’t turn it around next year.

Ideally we’d sell all these pieces for a massive haul of futures but ownership won’t do that.

The absolute worst thing we can do is stand pat. Sure we’ll rebound and be better than this year, and our goaltending is much better than it’s been this year, but we still aren’t a contender. One good year, one down year, rinse and repeat over and over. And then when we have a bad year half the fan base wants to sell the whole team and the other half is like ‘no, we’ll bounce back’. And that’s how we always end up as a good not great team. Sell high on Hanifin and Toffoli, replace them with Kylington/Poirier and Coronato and multiple 1sts or A level prospects. Then trade Vladar for the best pick we can get and get Wolf in there. See if any team will take Coleman, if not keep him in the bottom-6.

Mang Kadri ________
Huberdeau Lindholm Coronato
Pelletier Backlund Duehr
Dube Ruzicka Coleman

Weegar Rasmus
Kylington Tanev
Poirier Zadorov

Marky/Wolf

Hanifin for 1st+
Toffoli for 1st+
Vladar for 3rd/ conditional 2nd

Use the extra cap space and maybe one extra first and Mang/Dube/Ruzicka to make a quantity for quality trade for a true top line player like Ehlers or Keller, and keep the other extra 1st+prospects. That’s how to maximize the value of our assets while remaining competitive but still restocking the prospect pool to hopefully find an elite player in the middle of the first round of the draft.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Harder to believe Seravalli is 34 years old than the Flames making changes in the offseason
He ages like people in ww2 , it's like when I was in highschool looking at pictures of old classes and they all looked 40 + at 18 lol . He's pretty much the same age as me but looks older than my 55 year old dad

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah....the ownership isn't paying a guy like Myers $6 million to be purposely bad. Maybe if the Canucks pay his $5 million signing bonus, another team will take him as a cap dump and pay out the $1 million? That would have to be after the Flames sell off the rest of their team first though.
That's the idea, Canucks pay his 5 mil bonus this summer and off he goes while his 6 mil cap hit will be gone

Huberdeau back to Florida at 20% retention for Anthony Duclair and a 2nd

:sarcasm:
Uber doo is the worst contract in the league right now. Worst than OEL at this point

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Flames need to sell off a few valuable but replaceable assets for futures to maximize the value of our asset pool going forward. Hanifin, Toffoli, Coleman (if there is any interest), possibly Mang or Dube, Vladar. Then you consider moving Backlund and Tanev for a first+ if we don’t turn it around next year.

Ideally we’d sell all these pieces for a massive haul of futures but ownership won’t do that.

The absolute worst thing we can do is stand pat. Sure we’ll rebound and be better than this year, and our goaltending is much better than it’s been this year, but we still aren’t a contender. One good year, one down year, rinse and repeat over and over. And then when we have a bad year half the fan base wants to sell the whole team and the other half is like ‘no, we’ll bounce back’. And that’s how we always end up as a good not great team. Sell high on Hanifin and Toffoli, replace them with Kylington/Poirier and Coronato and multiple 1sts or A level prospects. Then trade Vladar for the best pick we can get and get Wolf in there. See if any team will take Coleman, if not keep him in the bottom-6.

Mang Kadri ________
Huberdeau Lindholm Coronato
Pelletier Backlund Duehr
Dube Ruzicka Coleman

Weegar Rasmus
Kylington Tanev
Poirier Zadorov

Marky/Wolf

Hanifin for 1st+
Toffoli for 1st+
Vladar for 3rd/ conditional 2nd

Use the extra cap space and maybe one extra first and Mang/Dube/Ruzicka to make a quantity for quality trade for a true top line player like Ehlers or Keller, and keep the other extra 1st+prospects. That’s how to maximize the value of our assets while remaining competitive but still restocking the prospect pool to hopefully find an elite player in the middle of the first round of the draft.
Toffoli 1st +??? No way you will get that return for Toffoli. Canucks traded a 2nd and a B prospect for him 3 years ago, so how can his value be higher than 3 to 4 years ago?? He will probably get a 2nd due to age and the fact he will start to decline soon

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He ages like people in ww2 , it's like when I was in highschool looking at pictures of old classes and they all looked 40 + at 18 lol . He's pretty much the same age as me but looks older than my 55 year old dad
Dude had white hair at age 20 and probably needed to get colonoscopy and Zoster shots at that time 🤣

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Watch them make the Playoffs and beat Minny in the 1st round then just go all-in again on this roster next season.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Toffoli 1st +??? No way you will get that return for Toffoli. Canucks traded a 2nd and a B prospect for him 3 years ago, so how can his value be higher than 3 to 4 years ago?? He will probably get a 2nd due to age and the fact he will start to decline soon
he is a 30 goal scorer with a cap hit of $4.25M for next season, more than 1 GM will pay a 1st plus for him this off season as they will have him for the full season and he has that Stanley Cup resume going for him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's the idea, Canucks pay his 5 mil bonus this summer and off he goes while his 6 mil cap hit will be gone

All kind of a moot point right now. I suppose if the Flames don't make the playoffs, then sell off all their other assets, and then go for a total tear it down rebuild, they'd be in a position to take on Myers. However, the Flames aren't going to be a cap floor team, so Myers would still have negative value.

Even if the Canucks pay the $5 million signing bonus, they are still going to have to attach an extra 2nd (at the very least) for the Flames to take on Myers.

Toffoli is the Flames leading scorer. He already has over 30 goals and will likely finish with 35 goals and over 70 points. He's 30 years old with an expiring contract. Easily gets a 1st at the deadline, and, with his low cap hit, likely could be moved for that this off season.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Toffoli just returned a 1st+ last year and now is having the best season of his career. He easily gets a 1st lol.

Ledge And Dairy

All kind of a moot point right now. I suppose if the Flames don't make the playoffs, then sell off all their other assets, and then go for a total tear it down rebuild, they'd be in a position to take on Myers. However, the Flames aren't going to be a cap floor team, so Myers would still have negative value.

Even if the Canucks pay the $5 million signing bonus, they are still going to have to attach an extra 2nd (at the very least) for the Flames to take on Myers.

Toffoli is the Flames leading scorer. He already has over 30 goals and will likely finish with 35 goals and over 70 points. He's 30 years old with an expiring contract. Easily gets a 1st at the deadline, and, with his low cap hit, likely could be moved for that this off season.
Just stop feeding the troll man. His shit takes are not worth responding to

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

He is a 30 year old UFA winger who will decline in a couple of years. We traded Horvat who is more valuable than Toffoli and 3 to 4 years younger and a center for a 1st, Beauvillier and B prospect. I doubt Toffoli can bring anything close to Horvat value considering he is a winger and much older. Perhaps a 2nd and a 3rd at most. Again, the Canucks got the much younger Toffolie 4 years ago for the price of a 2nd and a B prospect in Madden. How does his value go up 4 to 5 years later? You aren't selling a Porsche 911 lol

Just stop feeding the troll man. His shit takes are not worth responding to
Relax it's just a hockey forum and I have my opinion and you have yours. Just because you don't agree with my opinion, doesn't mean it's a shit take lol

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I don't think we retool much at all tbh. I think if Sutter is gone after this year we bring in/promote a different coach and just don't bring back so many vets. This team has more than enough experience on it with the main core now, like Dallas did last summer promote the young guys to play with our more experienced core
Is that what you would do or just what you expect will happen?

I agree it’s what likely will happen, but I think it would be really really smart of us to sell high on any pieces we can (specifically Toffoli and Hanifin, maybe Mang or Coleman). Replace Toffoli with Coronato, Hanifin with Kylington and Poirier, and walk away with 2 extra 1sts, some extra prospects, and 10ish mil in cap space. Obviously Coronato doesn’t replace Toffoli right away, but we aren’t gonna win the cup next year and this way we get a ton of futures that will be critical if we want to take that next step and become a contender. Imagine walking out of 2024 with 3 mid firsts, two extra B prospects and 10 extra mil in cap space right when Zary Pelletier and Coronato are ready for full-time top-9 roles.

And then you still have guys like Duehr and Schwindt to take the place of guys like Coleman and Dube. We should even consider selling Mang if the interest is there (he’s been meh this year, but he obviously is still a top-6 winger who should only be traded for a nice return).

We just gotta maximize the value of our assets at this point instead of going for it hard every year and refusing to make moves for futures. And then once we have tons of futures we can pull of a bigger deal for that elite piece we’re missing (or best case scenario find that elite player in the draft with our extra picks).

Bond

May 10, 2012
He is a 30 year old UFA winger who will decline in a couple of years. We traded Horvat who is more valuable than Toffoli and 3 to 4 years younger and a center for a 1st, Beauvillier and B prospect. I doubt Toffoli can bring anything close to Horvat value considering he is a winger and much older. Perhaps a 2nd and a 3rd at most. Again, the Canucks got the much younger Toffolie 4 years ago for the price of a 2nd and a B prospect in Madden. How does his value go up 4 to 5 years later? You aren't selling a Porsche 911 lol

Relax it's just a hockey forum and I have my opinion and you have yours. Just because you don't agree with my opinion, doesn't mean it's a shit take lol
Past value doesn’t mean much. He could easily get a first at the deadline that will be in the 20-30 range. That islanders first could be 11-15.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
W

Wonder if they are trading Lindholm? He's like Miller to me. Habs could take Huberdeau contract off your hands for Lindholm?
That's a really interesting concept actually. Basically giving up the 2 1st round picks Lindholm is worth to move out Huberdeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad