Waived: [CGY] Devin Cooley, Jakob Pelletier, and Cole Schwindt waived by the Flames

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We always get those players everyone thinks will be claimed, and most of the time they’re not.

So flip a coin on Pelletier. If a team has a spot, where he can truly get opportunities, or even a team who believes his health is a non factor, and believes he can continue to develop, playing a bottom 6 role, then he gets claimed.

That’s the problem claiming players like him. You’re not gonna claim him, just to throw him on your 4th line and hope he can play a role Calgary wouldn’t keep him to play…. and you’re not gonna claim him to stick him in a Top 6 role…

It has to be the right opportunity. A team with a 3rd line spot open, where maybe they’re forcing a young kid a little too quickly, so let’s give Pelletier 10 games and see what they get. That way their prospect can stay in the AHL a little longer developing, and Pelletier isn’t hurting them. At least any worse than they were already gonna be weak at that spot.

Each situation is different for each team too.

I think there’s a 6-8 year NHL player here, but have thought for awhile now, he might have to take the longer route, re-committing himself to playing a different role than he thought he’d play in the league. If he ends up with the Wranglers or even another AHL team later this year, it’s time to start concentrating on becoming a different type of role player, if he wants NHL paydays.

Reactions: vokiel

serp

Jan 17, 2016
At this point it's more like he ends up as someone like Anthony Louis or Riley Barber ( undersized AHL scoring machines who could never stick in the NHL ) than an NHL player . Someone might take a flyer but undersized scoring forward who hasn't done a whole lot in the NHL at 23 year old and can't stay healthy is not a recipe for NHL success. He could still work out but he doesn't look like someone that is ready to play on an NHL roster right now .

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Marty Saint-Louis would be great for him

Why does Montreal need a 5-9 project winger who is going to be 24 before the end of the year, is hurt all the time and can’t play a bottom of the line-up checking role?

If his name were Jakub Peletov would anybody even be making this association?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really had a poor underwhelming camp, Coronato and Honzek were both much better.

Know he's off two real shitty shoulder injuries but you just can't play tentative at his size. That's not how he's going to be effective. I still think there's a decent middle 6 NHL player there but I don't think he's in a place mentally to be that right now. If he's claimed I have a tough time seeing it work out for either the player or the team, he needs to go back to the AHL and find his confidence again.

captchakiller

Sep 14, 2017
It's bad asset management, but players at camp were told there were spots they could earn. You can't lie about that and expect players to buy in. That's the way it goes. I hope Jakob can find success somewhere else if he doesn't pass through.
Seems if you are a retooling team like the Flames you'd keep him around at least as an extra forward

Maybe another young player outplayed him?
Multiple did. Klapka, Honzek, even Coronato who wasn't particularly great either. Pelletier was just ...there

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's bad asset management, but players at camp were told there were spots they could earn. You can't lie about that and expect players to buy in. That's the way it goes. I hope Jakob can find success somewhere else if he doesn't pass through.

Multiple did. Klapka, Honzek, even Coronato who wasn't particularly great either. Pelletier was just ...there

How is it bad asset management? Maybe ultimately a bad pick and bad luck with injuries. Who is trading anything for a guy that has to pass thru waivers at this point?

He will likely end up on the Wranglers and you see how things go from there.

Flames fans in the Solovyov thread were complaining about bad management and yet he passed thru waivers untouched. Most likely neither of these guys amounts to much of anything, with the Flames or otherwise.

If you wanted to get trade value out of Pelletier, you needed to do it a year or more ago when his “promise” was accompanied by waiver exemption.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We always get those players everyone thinks will be claimed, and most of the time they’re not.

So flip a coin on Pelletier. If a team has a spot, where he can truly get opportunities, or even a team who believes his health is a non factor, and believes he can continue to develop, playing a bottom 6 role, then he gets claimed.

That’s the problem claiming players like him. You’re not gonna claim him, just to throw him on your 4th line and hope he can play a role Calgary wouldn’t keep him to play…. and you’re not gonna claim him to stick him in a Top 6 role…

It has to be the right opportunity. A team with a 3rd line spot open, where maybe they’re forcing a young kid a little too quickly, so let’s give Pelletier 10 games and see what they get. That way their prospect can stay in the AHL a little longer developing, and Pelletier isn’t hurting them. At least any worse than they were already gonna be weak at that spot.

Each situation is different for each team too.

I think there’s a 6-8 year NHL player here, but have thought for awhile now, he might have to take the longer route, re-committing himself to playing a different role than he thought he’d play in the league. If he ends up with the Wranglers or even another AHL team later this year, it’s time to start concentrating on becoming a different type of role player, if he wants NHL paydays.
Plus I doubt teams have been scouting him. Thats a bigger factor than most account for. It's a lot to put someone on your NHL roster based on nothing but reputation and stats

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
For Pelletier's sake, I hope he's claimed. The Flames are just utterly hopeless when it comes to developing their own prospects or basic common sense asset management.

Also would be nice if Schwindt was claimed, mainly cause he sucks.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
For Pelletier's sake, I hope he's claimed. The Flames are just utterly hopeless when it comes to developing their own prospects or basic common sense asset management.

Also would be nice if Schwindt was claimed, mainly cause he sucks.
Or is it that NHL draftees are statistically utterly hopeless?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Pelletier is a guy who’s had an opportunity to earn a spot on the roster for 3 years now and hasn’t been able to. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was claimed though

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My fingers are crossed with regards to Pelletier and Cooley. Personally I think waiving them is a mistake but I also know I'm in the minority here.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Pelletier is a guy who’s had an opportunity to earn a spot on the roster for 3 years now and hasn’t been able to. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was claimed though
This is not exactly true, in 2022-23 he had a chance, but it was always a longshot. In 2023-24 he would have made it but he destroyed his shoulder in the preseason and needed surgery. This year was his first real opportunity to make the team.

My fingers are crossed with regards to Pelletier and Cooley. Personally I think waiving them is a mistake but I also know I'm in the minority here.
No one is giving an NHL roster spot to Cooley. Dude has never been even an AHL starter, I really don't get why so many people think he ever had a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad