PTO: [CGY] Tyson Barrie signs PTO with the Flames; A. Gallant, T. Janicke, J. Lipinski, L. McNamara, D. Silye, C. Murphy, M. Radomsky also invited to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames need some veteran bodies to push some of the younger guys we have filling roster spots.
Our main prospects are D men, but are still a couple seasons away from being full time NHLers.

Our current D as constructed is:

Weegar - Miramanov
Bahl - Andersson
Bean - Pachal/Hanley

Like, we have 2 guys who are legit every-night NHLers. 4 guys who are borderline at best. At least a few of them are younger, and could use a guy who's been in the league for a decade to push them a bit at camp.

If Barrie makes the team, I have to imagine that he'll be given some cushy premo starts with the hope that someone wants to pony up something for some veteran depth in a playoff run. Not like he'll be blocking some big time prospects or anything.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Andersson, Weegar and now Barrie on the backend of moving the puck. That's a pretty solid blueline.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A solid blueline to contend for a top 3 pick!
Anderson and Weegar are probably better than any D your team currently has. This is literally Calgarys only strength, with Miromanov also there as a righty I find this fit even more perplexing.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Anderson and Weegar are probably better than any D your team currently has. This is literally Calgarys only strength, with Miromanov also there as a righty I find this fit even more perplexing.
Sorry, but Sergachev is better than any D-man on the Flames. I am a big fan of Andersson however, maybe Utah can trade for him at the draft next year. ;)

Utah also has Marino and durzi, who are both legitimate top 4 D. Also, the guy the Flames gave up for free in Valimaki to round out the top 4. Hopefully, Simashev will take Valimaki's place by next year, and Vali can be a solid #5 for us.

Idk anything about Miromanov tbh, while Calgary may have a better D-core this year, by 25-26 I don't think that will be the case.
I will say that the Flames are good at giving away good players! Utah is a better team than Calgary, and I'd put money on it that they will be for the next 5-10 years. Sorry buddy!

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah I really don't see a fit for a contract unless he is fine being a rotational player (which I guess is where he is at now), but he is a good locker room guy, and will get a good opportunity to showcase himself in the preseason atleast.

Ledge And Dairy

Sorry, but Sergachev is better than any D-man on the Flames. I am a big fan of Andersson however, maybe Utah can trade for him at the draft next year. ;)

Utah also has Marino and durzi, who are both legitimate top 4 D. Also, the guy the Flames gave up for free in Valimaki to round out the top 4. Hopefully, Simashev will take Valimaki's place by next year, and Vali can be a solid #5 for us.

Idk anything about Miromanov tbh, while Calgary may have a better D-core this year, by 25-26 I don't think that will be the case.
I will say that the Flames are good at giving away good players! Utah is a better team than Calgary, and I'd put money on it that they will be for the next 5-10 years. Sorry buddy!
I've been a big Sergachev fan for years. He is definitely not better than Weegar simply due to the sheer gap in their defensive games. Andersson is a toss up, they are relatively similar caliber players, both with some consistency issues.

The rest of the guys you mentioned; Marino, Durzi, and Valimaki, are all absolutely inferior to Weegar, Andersson, and Sergachev. That's not debatable.

There were reports at the draft that Calgary and Utah were in talks about pick 6 and that Utah wanted a specific roster player from the Flames. Based on who they targeted and got on day 2 I would assume that roster player was in fact Andersson. If the ask was Andersson and #28 I think they should have taken it, but if it was Andersson and #9 I'm glad they didn't.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I've been a big Sergachev fan for years. He is definitely not better than Weegar simply due to the sheer gap in their defensive games. Andersson is a toss up, they are relatively similar caliber players, both with some consistency issues.

The rest of the guys you mentioned; Marino, Durzi, and Valimaki, are all absolutely inferior to Weegar, Andersson, and Sergachev. That's not debatable.

There were reports at the draft that Calgary and Utah were in talks about pick 6 and that Utah wanted a specific roster player from the Flames. Based on who they targeted and got on day 2 I would assume that roster player was in fact Andersson. If the ask was Andersson and #28 I think they should have taken it, but if it was Andersson and #9 I'm glad they didn't.
Ya, I'll be honest, I don't value Sergachev that highly. I think he is a #2 D-man on a good team, and more of a #3 on a cup contender. But is weegar really better than andersson?

I don't think they'd trade Andersson and #9 for #6. That would have been a big overpay. I am glad Utah didn't trade Andersson for Tij though, that would have been for Utah...

Ledge And Dairy

Ya, I'll be honest, I don't value Sergachev that highly. I think he is a #2 D-man on a good team, and more of a #3 on a cup contender. But is weegar really better than andersson?

I don't think they'd trade Andersson and #9 for #6. That would have been a big overpay. I am glad Utah didn't trade Andersson for Tij though, that would have been for Utah...
I've watched a lot of Tampa of the years (my favorite eastern team). Sergachev is such a wonderfully smooth skater and can be very effective offensively. He's definitely at least a #2 and borderlines on #1. Being behind Hedman for so long has made it difficult to gauge him in a #1 role though.

Yes Weegar is better and again that mainly comes down to Weegar's top of the league defensive game. He's strong but not as strong as the other 2 offensively but he vastly outranks them on the other end.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I am not a Flames fan so I am not sure what you are apologizing for. I wont disagree that Utah has a way brighter future and are better just about everywhere else outside of the top D man on the team. Last organization that should be chirping anyone though. RHD are simply way more valuable than lefties at this point. I think there's an argument for all three Sergachev, Weegar and Anderson. Personally when its close I will take the righty every time. Especially in Weegars case because he can play both sides. We dont really know if Sergachev is going to fully recover from his injury and he makes the most money. So I have him 3rd.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
No-risk move for the Flames. They’re not trying to win and if Barrie shows anything they can sign him for a year and flip him at the deadline. But that’s really the best-case scenario.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why wait? The Barrie is ready to go and we need Andersson to salvage Nurse right now
For the right price I would do it but I can't say the same for many of my fellow Flames fans.
Also wouldn't this be a tough trade to swallow for more than a few of your fellow Oiler fans? A number of them have been quite derogatory towards Rasmus. Isn't the name Ratmus a fan favorite in Oilerland?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For the right price I would do it but I can't say the same for many of my fellow Flames fans.
Also wouldn't this be a tough trade to swallow for more than a few of your fellow Oiler fans? A number of them have been quite derogatory towards Rasmus. Isn't the name Ratmus a fan favorite in Oilerland?
I think that's more from a year+ ago. You won't find an Oiler fan against the idea of adding him at 2RD, unless they'd rather have Weegar

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It fits. Especially if they end up trying to move Weeger. Good bet he earns himself a spot.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It fits. Especially if they end up trying to move Weeger. Good bet he earns himself a spot.
They won't move Weegar. He's signed long-term and they need at least a few big contracts to meet the cap floor.

Andersson will be the one to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad