Line Combos: CBJ Roster Discussion/Line Combos/Injury Report (Gudbranson to IR; Greaves recalled)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I’m thinking he will be in the starting line-up for the first home game where the coaches have the last change and can control the match-up.
Maybe but only if it doesn't eat into his 'learning to skate backwards and gap maintenance' training time.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Jiricek scratched again
He's not going to get his chance until some significant mistakes are made or the team hits a longer term rough patch, in my opinion. I don't see a reason to play him right now. He's not one of the top 6 and should be in Cleveland. I wonder if he could be dealt to Calgary for Rasmus Andersson as part of a deal to get a true #1RHD. Can sign him to an extension next year and he's only 27. Would fit the core and fills a big time need.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
He's not going to get his chance until some significant mistakes are made or the team hits a longer term rough patch, in my opinion. I don't see a reason to play him right now. He's not one of the top 6 and should be in Cleveland. I wonder if he could be dealt to Calgary for Rasmus Andersson as part of a deal to get a true #1RHD. Can sign him to an extension next year and he's only 27. Would fit the core and fills a big time need.
I've wondered about that particular scenario too. It seems pointless for him to just be on the sidelines. Maybe they are simply demonstrating what the alternative to playing in Cleveland is right now. Or he's improving his skating and strength, like he should have spent the off-season doing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Or he's improving his skating and strength, like he should have spent the off-season doing.

That's where 90% of the improvement has to come from.

The mistakes we're seeing Jiricek make are not just a collection of brainfarts that experience alone will fix. It comes from the fundamentals. He's trying to make plays without the physical tools to execute them.

I still prefer an AHL assignment for him but if he's with the NHL team then a training schedule for him is much better than NHL games, which would just continue to depress his confidence. I hope they have him in skating training and lifting everyday.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
That's where 90% of the improvement has to come from.

The mistakes we're seeing Jiricek make are not just a collection of brainfarts that experience alone will fix. It comes from the fundamentals. He's trying to make plays without the physical tools to execute them.

I still prefer an AHL assignment for him but if he's with the NHL team then a training schedule for him is much better than NHL games, which would just continue to depress his confidence. I hope they have him in skating training and lifting everyday.
Kent Johnson has just demonstrated what a difference it can make. I do hope Jiricek pays attention.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Or he's improving his skating and strength, like he should have spent the off-season doing.
Kent Johnson has just demonstrated what a difference it can make. I do hope Jiricek pays attention.
where is this idea coming from that jiricek didn't spend the offseason working on skating and strength? clearly that's what they told him to work on. he looked quicker to me in the preseason, but still rough around the edges.

it's not stuff that gets fixed overnight. even if he worked on it all offseason, or does extra work with the coaches, it's still a long process. it took kent johnson an extra year for that training to take hold.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
where is this idea coming from that jiricek didn't spend the offseason working on skating and strength? clearly that's what they told him to work on. he looked quicker to me in the preseason, but still rough around the edges.

it's not stuff that gets fixed overnight. even if he worked on it all offseason, or does extra work with the coaches, it's still a long process. it took kent johnson an extra year for that training to take hold.
I guess I just made an assumption after being disappointed in him still looking so rough and not making enough progress to make the roster. But fair enough, maybe he did all the "right things" but need more time. If that's so, then I do hope he is continuing that work now that he's not playing.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't know how much time Jiricek spent on it, he did not look quicker at all to me in preseason. Although the bigger thing in his game is that he's now alternating between hesitating and rushing things, and just seems to have lost his intuition and timing.

I agree with you that it is a years long process. But that can be made longer if a guy thinks he can fix it in a month and doesn't take things step by step. We saw with Cole that he regressed after not putting enough work before his second season. His skating looks much improved right now. I'd say this has been a bigger jump for Cole than the improvement he made a year ago, which was more talked about.

It can also take longer if a guy is playing too many games and is stuck in short term mode. KJ was able to take this huge step largely because he's been training his legs since March. I certainly wouldn't want Jiricek to blow out his shoulder but if he's spending six months focused on the long run, instead of thinking about how to get into the next game, then I think that mindset would benefit him.

MAHJ71

Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A rest? Two games into the season? More here than meets the eye and I’m concerned for Elvis - and I’m not referencing to his on ice play.
I think some of us can maturely infer what this may be related to given history/Kivi. Maybe Johnny's passing triggered some bad memories. Purely speculation and really not a subject I want expand further on... but I mean all of this to say: I'm rooting for him to get whatever it is right so he can truly focus on his play this season and beyond.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Some of you seem to have difficulty with euphemisms. Of course he's having mental health issues today, I'm sure you can imagine why. No need to beat up on the guy.
For those who need a translation
He is grieving his two teammates
We grieve as fans
So do players
God bless you Elvis and I pray for your healing

Reactions: Viqsi

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Some of you seem to have difficulty with euphemisms. Of course he's having mental health issues today, I'm sure you can imagine why. No need to beat up on the guy.

An aside but it's quite nice we have this website to discuss the CBJ. Looked at the reddit thread on this and it's post after post shitting on Elvis. There is never any nuance to conversation over there. I can't image the feelings he went through last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad