Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Kent Johnson re-signs with the Blue Jackets (3 years, $1.8M AAV)

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Prove it bridge makes sense just surprised the AAV is so low. If I were him I’d probably not sign it and certainly not so early just cause the 2nd contract sort of sets the path for 3rd contract AAV and beyond.

Reactions: Miller Time

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
His agent is Pat Brisson, color me surprised a veteran agent signed this deal. Could be a complete steal for the team right off the hop.

This seems like good work by the agent. Especially depending on what the QO ends up being.

It buys up two non-arb RFA years, and they only gave up one arb-RFA year. Young players with better signing seasons signed 2 year bridge deals in the 2.XXM range. Johnson is coming off of a down season.

Most of all, it secures the bag for the player so that if he fails to progress he at least has something before he is exiled to lesser paying pro leagues.

People will bring up Johnson's season two years ago in terms of production, but the issue when comparing him to players like Frost or Lafreniere who signed bridge deals last year is that they were trending up, or at the very least consistent. We're talking about a player who spent part of the year in the minors, and part of it scratched getting 3 years of 1-way money purely based on how their potential projects. This is good work by the agent.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Does this mean he's available?

:sarcasm:

Honestly, I'm slightly disappointed, but that contract is amazing for Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Does this mean he's available?

:sarcasm:
trouble.gif

;)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You being serious...you are comparing THE DIVA in the league, the one who forced themselves out of LA OF ALL PLACES?!?! to this signing?
You make it sound like LA is a nice place...

But yeah, PLD is a head case and I wouldn't want him.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
You make it sound like LA is a nice place...

But yeah, PLD is a head case and I wouldn't want him.
No just pointing out he got forced out of a desirable market, probably the most desirable next to NY metro area for pro athletes. This isn't a Winnipeg or Columbus issue where people constantly mock about their "desirability" status.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
:facepalm:
And here I thought Habs fans had largely soured on PLD and no longer thirsted for him after his quitting on three NHL teams and a junior team. Guess some of y'all are still holding out. How about y'all leave us alone and go pester the Caps fans; they've got your bae and they deserve it after their team killed CapFriendly.

I have no interest in acquiring PLD. I just think its ridiculous to make him out to be some sort of monster that's such an outlier he can't even be brought up in comparison to any other player. Adam Fox forced his way off 2 teams, and no one even cares. Players coming out of NCAA hold out and become UFAs to pick their spot all the time. PLD said he wanted out, then signed a contract to facilitate his team to benefit from him doing that, which is a lot more than a lot of other players have done.

No just pointing out he got forced out of a desirable market, probably the most desirable next to NY metro area for pro athletes. This isn't a Winnipeg or Columbus issue where people constantly mock about their "desirability" status.

To both of you, what did he do in LA other than play poorly to quit/force his way out? If its just that he played poorly, then how do you guys feel about Kent Johnson forcing his way out of CBJ?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have no interest in acquiring PLD. I just think its ridiculous to make him out to be some sort of monster that's such an outlier he can't even be brought up in comparison to any other player. Adam Fox forced his way off 2 teams, and no one even cares. Players coming out of NCAA hold out and become UFAs to pick their spot all the time. PLD said he wanted out, then signed a contract to facilitate his team to benefit from him doing that, which is a lot more than a lot of other players have done.
And everybody plays shifts the way he did, too, I'm sure.
To both of you, what did he do in LA other than play poorly to quit/force his way out? If its just that he played poorly, then how do you guys feel about Kent Johnson forcing his way out of CBJ?
:biglaugh:
"Gosh, all he did was dog it, so my completely hypothetical never-even-been-remotely-rumored suggestion (that incidentally potentially benefits my team) must be taken seriously and I call on you to defend it!"

Quit while you're ahead, hon.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

He's been "forced out" or "forced himself out" of everywhere he's played.

Maybe we disagree, but I don't think LA is a particularly desirable place. Maybe for some with specific career aspirations outside of hockey, but not to most people.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Prove it bridge makes sense just surprised the AAV is so low. If I were him I’d probably not sign it and certainly not so early just cause the 2nd contract sort of sets the path for 3rd contract AAV and beyond.
He has no aribtration rights, and as a NCAA kid who burned an ELC year, he wasn't eligible for an OS, however slim those chances are. New HC and new GM. So, he needs to show up at camp to have a good season.

The other option is to take a much lower AAV on a 2 year deal. But, he took the guaranteed money. I mean, he burned an elc year and his salary is double that unless he were to achieve any bonus benchmarks.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Good deal for both teams. Helps team re-sign players like Fantilli for 3 years and then at the end of the 3 years KJ will be in his prime and be looking for top dollar whether it’s with Columbus or elsewhere

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
And everybody plays shifts the way he did, too, I'm sure.

:biglaugh:
"Gosh, all he did was dog it, so my completely hypothetical never-even-been-remotely-rumored suggestion (that incidentally potentially benefits my team) must be taken seriously and I call on you to defend it!"

Quit while you're ahead, hon.

Everyone is aware of his last shift in CBJ like 4 years ago, is that the only thing you are referring to, or do you actually have something showing he does anything like that consistently? That would be weird, considering both CBJ and WPG be ane mad at him when he no longer wanted to play there. Why would they he upset about that if he was trash?

He obviously had a bad year in LA, but that brings me back to my earlier question, does playing bad mean you are forcing your way out? Last time you responded by saying no one has ever said that about Johnson (despite the fact this exchange started with a CBJ fan trying to dunk on people who said that rumour that you don't think exists) and that I, as a Habs fan, am compromised by bias when talking about Johnson, so I should listen to the unbiased CBJ fans who can comment objectively on him.

I'm not particularly interested in my team acquiring Johnson and, as I said earlier in this thread, he'll probably stay in CBJ. All I'm saying is a player signing an extension isn't a guarantee he'll finish it in the same city.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Everyone is aware of his last shift in CBJ like 4 years ago, is that the only thing you are referring to, or do you actually have something showing he does anything like that consistently? That would be weird, considering both CBJ and WPG be ane mad at him when he no longer wanted to play there. Why would they he upset about that if he was trash?

He's quite capable when he's motivated to actually play. He is rarely motivated to actually play. That's why folks are pissed at him.
He obviously had a bad year in LA, but that brings me back to my earlier question, does playing bad mean you are forcing your way out? Last time you responded by saying no one has ever said that about Johnson (despite the fact this exchange started with a CBJ fan trying to dunk on people who said that rumour that you don't think exists)
Because it's not a rumor. It's speculation by ignorant thirsty fans. It was never reported by anyone credible, and never remarked on by anyone credible outside of folks saying "it's bullshit".
and that I, as a Habs fan, am compromised by bias when talking about Johnson
No, you're compromised by bias because you're taking proven garbage seriously on no basis stronger than the usual "lol Columbus", and it's not the first time by a long shot.
I'm not particularly interested in my team acquiring Johnson and, as I said earlier in this thread, he'll probably stay in CBJ. All I'm saying is a player signing an extension isn't a guarantee he'll finish it in the same city.
"All you're saying" involved directly comparing KJ to PLD. And it's not the first time you yourself specifically - not Habs fans, not random other non-Jackets fans, not outside experts; just you, @Prairie Habs on HFBoards - have gone on one of these extended rants about how Columbus can't keep players and we're going to lose everybody and we should never assume we get to keep anyone and et cetera et cetera et cetera. You, as an individual, are by far the single most consistent and persistent sole poster on HFBoards about this very subject.

And while I do to some extent apologize for making it personal in that regard, I'd rather cross that line than continue to let you keep smearing fans of other teams and other Habs fans in particular with this garbage by your continuing to hide behind that and claim you're Just Like Anyone Else in that regard. You're not. You stand out. You, specifically. So stop trying to play the "everyman" card. It's an insult to those other fans.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

He's quite capable when he's motivated to actually play. He is rarely motivated to actually play. That's why folks are pissed at him.

Because it's not a rumor. It's speculation by ignorant thirsty fans. It was never reported by anyone credible, and never remarked on by anyone credible outside of folks saying "it's bullshit".

No, you're compromised by bias because you're taking proven garbage seriously on no basis stronger than the usual "lol Columbus", and it's not the first time by a long shot.

"All you're saying" involved directly comparing KJ to PLD. And it's not the first time you yourself specifically - not Habs fans, not random other non-Jackets fans, not outside experts; just you, @Prairie Habs on HFBoards - have gone on one of these extended rants about how Columbus can't keep players and we're going to lose everybody and we should never assume we get to keep anyone and et cetera et cetera et cetera. You, as an individual, are by far the single most consistent and persistent sole poster on HFBoards about this very subject.

And while I do to some extent apologize for making it personal in that regard, I'd rather cross that line than continue to let you keep smearing fans of other teams and other Habs fans in particular with this garbage by your continuing to hide behind that and claim you're Just Like Anyone Else in that regard. You're not. You stand out. You, specifically. So stop trying to play the "everyman" card. It's an insult to those other fans.

Okay, I can see need for self victimization runs a little too deep here to have any worthwhile discussion.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, I can see need for self victimization runs a little too deep here to have any worthwhile discussion.
And yet I and other Jackets fans have had perfectly reasonable and respectful conversations with many other Habs fans. Including on this very subject. Our teams are in very similar positions and so there's a fair bit to commiserate on even if we're not good trading partners. Something for y'all to consider.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Excellent contract for Columbus pretty surprised Brisson/Johnson would accept that
The working theory at HFCBJ is that they're acknowledging it'll take another year or two for him to fully develop, he gets a minimum of $5.4m guaranteed if the development doesn't work out (G-d forbid), and then presuming it does work out he cashes in big-time at the ripe old age of 24.

EDIT: KJ quotes on the deal:
“I could’ve signed a one-year deal, and had a year where you just prove it and try to get every dollar you can next year," Johnson said, "For me, I’m going to be really happy in my life if the next three years go like I think they will, and I’m going to be really underpaid. It will be a great thing, and I think a great thing for the team. I just feel good about that. That’s obviously the goal, to be really underpaid on this deal ... and with a one-year deal, there’s always risk with that too.”

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This might be one of the better cost bridge deals in the entire league. At his worst he will be a quality 3rd line C/W and at his best a Horvat or Miller light (minus the semi aggressive physical play at this point in his career)

Columbus' new GM making hay right now with this deal. Damn good contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad