Proposal: (CBJ/CGY) Merzlikins Texier for Mangiapane Vladar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Columbus Blue Jackets
Andrew Mangiapane (1y @ $5.8m)
Daniel Vladar (1y @ $2.2m)
( retaining $1.62m on Merzlikins )
TOTAL CAP = $9.62m

to Calgary Flames
Alexandre Texier ( RFA )
Elvis Merzlikins (30% retained) (3y @ $3.78m)
2024 LAK 3rd Round Pick
2025 NYR 4th Round Pick

TOTAL CAP = approximately $7m to $7.5m

Calgary swaps out Vladar for Merzlikins and moves out Mangiapane (as they had planned to by deadline) for a younger Texier who can play center / wing and do more than just score points. They also open up $2m to $2.75m in cap space. They don't ideally want the Merzlikins contract, but they're only paying 70% of it, and turning one 1-year contract winger into a younger player and 2 picks. Merzlikins has potential to play up to his new cap hit of $3.78m, and if not, it's not millions upon millions of overpayment. Wolf can break into the league with an experienced veteran and compete for playing time. Merzlikins has potential to be much better this year than Vladar. Not saying it WILL happen, but the talent is certainly there. Sherangovich can move to Huberdeau's line (as RW) on a more permanent basis, and Texier can play center for the Flames.

Columbus moves on from Merzlikins and gets a 1 year stop-gap to backup Tarasov before Greaves steps into a full time NHL role the year after. Hopefully, Mangiapane can put up some points and then be traded with or without retention at the deadline for at least a 3rd and 4th (recover the picks from this trade), or, more likely, something better than that. In the end, it mostly just costs 30% retention and Texier to move on from Merzlikins, and hopefully a couple of picks get turned into something better. Unlike a buyout, this costs nothing on the cap beyond 2027. Columbus is likely looking to change the locker room up and team composition with a new GM. This is 2 long-time players out the door and moving onto the next chapter. One downside to this trade is that Columbus is going to have less cap flexibility this season, or, at least, until the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I've read the title and thought no way is Calgary taking Merzlikins contract for that.

Glad to read it was balanced out with retention and picks. Well done.

I'm still wondering if Columbus is getting out from that contract a little too easy.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not awful, but I am a big Texier fan. Love his game and after his slow start he showed he could be at least 0.5ppg type player with sandpaper, skill and an excellent skater. it's really more of what the CBJ needs, not less. However, I get it, moving the Elvis contract likely requires some level of concession.

Waddell is on record to say he isn't moving him as the contract is not moveable and he's with the CBJ for the coming season so any hypothetical trade appears to be just that... Not a bad effort on this one, but I think Tex and two picks would still be a little rich for CBJ given there is no CAP crunch for them. It's just moving a bad contract and a player they clearly do not want.

Reactions: Eegs

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
to Columbus Blue Jackets
TOTAL CAP = $9.62m

to Calgary Flames
Alexandre Texier ( RFA )
2024 LAK 3rd Round Pick
2025 NYR 4th Round Pick

Calgary swaps out Vladar for Merzlikins and moves out Mangiapane (as they had planned to by deadline) for a younger Texier who can play center / wing and do more than just score points. They also open up $2m to $2.75m in cap space. They don't ideally want the Merzlikins contract, but they're only paying 70% of it, and turning one 1-year contract winger into a younger player and 2 picks. Merzlikins has potential to play up to his new cap hit of $3.78m, and if not, it's not millions upon millions of overpayment. Wolf can break into the league with an experienced veteran and compete for playing time. Merzlikins has potential to be much better this year than Vladar. Not saying it WILL happen, but the talent is certainly there. Sherangovich can move to Huberdeau's line (as RW) on a more permanent basis, and Texier can play center for the Flames.

Columbus moves on from Merzlikins and gets a 1 year stop-gap to backup Tarasov before Greaves steps into a full time NHL role the year after. Hopefully, Mangiapane can put up some points and then be traded with or without retention at the deadline for at least a 3rd and 4th (recover the picks from this trade), or, more likely, something better than that. In the end, it mostly just costs 30% retention and Texier to move on from Merzlikins, and hopefully a couple of picks get turned into something better. Unlike a buyout, this costs nothing on the cap beyond 2027. Columbus is likely looking to change the locker room up and team composition with a new GM. This is 2 long-time players out the door and moving onto the next chapter. One downside to this trade is that Columbus is going to have less cap flexibility this season, or, at least, until the trade deadline.
I doubt Calgary GM would agree. Also Elvis has M-NTC.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
to Columbus Blue Jackets
TOTAL CAP = $9.62m

to Calgary Flames
Alexandre Texier ( RFA )
2024 LAK 3rd Round Pick
2025 NYR 4th Round Pick

If I’m the CBJ I do this in a heartbeat just to get rid of Elvis. Can’t imagine Calgary would bite.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's an interesting concept, but I just don't think there is quite enough value there for Calgary with the extra term on Merzlikins.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nahhhh. I’d do that if we could swap 4 overall for 9 so we can take Lindstrom instead of the useless 3rd and 4th rounders

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Really like Texier. Just not sure where Merzlikins fits in? Perhaps a backup, or maybe, if he regains his game, a 1A/1B type scenario. Assuming Wolf develops a team with Merzlikins playing 20-30 games wouldn't be awful. The problem is that's a lot of money for a backup. Merzlikins is also 30 already. The odds of him taking a big step forward are slim. Then again, he's been playing behind a pretty awful team the last two years.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Flames <-- #4, Merzlikins

Blue Jackets <-- #9, #28, Vladar

Last edited:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Really like Texier. Just not sure where Merzlikins fits in? Perhaps a backup, or maybe, if he regains his game, a 1A/1B type scenario. Assuming Wolf develops a team with Merzlikins playing 20-30 games wouldn't be awful. The problem is that's a lot of money for a backup. Merzlikins is also 30 already. The odds of him taking a big step forward are slim. Then again, he's been playing behind a pretty awful team the last two years.

Acquiring someone like Merzlikins would be so that Wolf doesn't exceed 30-40 games if he's not ready. Let the vet get cratered, not the young guy.

I understand the logic of the trade. I'm fine with all the players involved, but looking at it straight up, I think I'd want more going our way. CBJ rightfully balks and decides to just ride out Merzlikins though.

I'm almost wondering if it makes more sense to ask for Laine over Texier and figure out how to rebalance it... but I honestly can't fully process the idea right now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Acquiring someone like Merzlikins would be so that Wolf doesn't exceed 30-40 games if he's not ready. Let the vet get cratered, not the young guy.

I understand the logic of the trade. I'm fine with all the players involved, but looking at it straight up, I think I'd want more going our way. CBJ rightfully balks and decides to just ride out Merzlikins though.

I'm almost wondering if it makes more sense to ask for Laine over Texier and figure out how to rebalance it... but I honestly can't fully process the idea right now.
I can't even begin to imagine where one would even start to try to balance that. :scared: Those are both "we'd probably be better off riding out their next year" guys for us, so coming up with something that is more attractive than that option for the Jackets without dumping a metric f***ton of risk on the Flames would be... I legit don't know how.

Reactions: Figgy44

Ledge And Dairy

Columbus has zero roster room to add another forward, especially a winger. They're probably looking to ship a winger out, if anything. Swapping a forward out for another one is doable though.
Calgary also has zero roster room to add a forward, especially a winger. Sounds like 2 poorly matched teams, at least on the topic of forwards being traded

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Calgary also has zero roster room to add a forward, especially a winger. Sounds like 2 poorly matched teams, at least on the topic of forwards being traded
Swapping a Calgary wing for a Columbus center/wing would be doable for Calgary, I think. Especially looking at Calgary options for 3C. Nobody is adding a forward. Just swapping. Texier was already going to play wing in Columbus, so, same thing. One winger in one winger out.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Swapping a Calgary wing for a Columbus center/wing would be doable for Calgary, I think. Especially looking at Calgary options for 3C. Nobody is adding a forward. Just swapping. Texier was already going to play wing in Columbus, so, same thing. One winger in one winger out.
But we need to move out a winger without one coming back. Even with mangi traded for just picks one of Pelletier or coronato is playing 4th line

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Very probably - unless we can figure out some sort of ideal change-of-scenery swap, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
I actually think Texier or Texier plus for Mangiapane is a decent change of scenery for both. Texier can take on a bigger role in Calgary and probably play center. Mangiapane was getting traded anyways this season. This is just a 0.5 year stint in Columbus before trade deadline.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
But we need to move out a winger without one coming back. Even with mangi traded for just picks one of Pelletier or coronato is playing 4th line
Columbus also needs to do that as well. Making this move doesn't mean that those moves cannot also happen separately. Even if that doesn't happen right away, Coronato (CGY) and Kent Johnson (CBJ) could stay in AHL until trade deadline (or injury callup). Both are waiver exempt until next summer.

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary has Kadri, Backlund and Zary at center (Sharangovich can also play center but Zary looked really good when moved there at the end of the year). I understand it's just a swap but it's not a good one for the Flames and I can't speak for if it's good for the Jackets. As I said above, I am open to taking on Elvis with compensation in an exchange for Vladar but Calgary would rather sell Mange for futures. There is already reported interest in Mange now but I think at the deadline he will be a relatively hot commodity if retained

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad