Value of: Carrier or Fabbro

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
What would be the value of Dante Fabbro or Alexandre Carrier if the Predators were to entertain an offer, and could one of them serve as a top four defenseman for a team in desperate need?

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
They're both more than capable top 4 defenseman. I think Fabbro has a little more value of the two and is probably the one I'd prefer to move

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think the Preds like Carrier more and will re-sign/extend him. I think they like Fabbro less, and with the current logjam of D in our system will probably go ahead and trade him at some point.

I think this is a bit silly, because to me Fabbro is a notch better than Carrier, plus is an RFA while Carrier is a UFA. Neither one of them is really better than a #4 guy. But Fabbro pairs very nicely with Josi every time they go to that. Carrier is also pairing nicely with McDonagh. I mean, keeping both would be fine too. But one of them is already getting scratched. And neither of them should be. Once Barrie is traded, at least Fabbro will play. But the tendency for the Preds to underrate Fabbro and even ever scratch him at all says to me that for his own sake he needs to go someplace else. I'm sure whatever team lands Fabbro will end up thinking they got a "steal", because he's much better than the Preds seem to credit him for, and their reluctance to trust him will lower his trade value into the "steal" bracket, alas.

Carrier is alright too, he's too soft for my liking in his own zone, but he does play positionally sound against the rush and gets in lanes to block shots, and has good overall puck skills and transitional ability. He's alright for that undersized 2nd-pair PMD kind of role. I just don't feel like that's a very "valued" role around the league in general. :dunno:

Anyway, I am expecting Fabbro to be traded eventually, and I think it'll kind of be like the loss of Tolvanen. I don't think it's a good look for the organization to be losing their 1st-round drafted assets, especially when those players have put in the work and are looking to have panned out basically par for what we might have hoped for from them. But even still, at the end of the day if you throw away a 0.5ppg forward or a #4 defenseman, it's not like it's going to cripple your organization; they are ultimately replaceable and aren't difference-makers. Still, it just hurts a little bit to lose them for nothing. :(

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Not me, I'd much rather dump Carrier and keep Fabbro around but apparently every coach and GM that comes through Nashville thinks Fabbro stinks for some reason.
Is Fabbro hurt, did not see him in lineup on site I follow? Are either defenders good at long exit stretch pass? We miss that from last year. Severson was VG at it and it help spring guys and helped our O pressure, need some back TBH

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is Fabbro hurt, did not see him in lineup on site I follow? Are either defenders good at long exit stretch pass? We miss that from last year. Severson was VG at it and it help spring guys and helped our O pressure, need some back TBH
TBH the stretch pass thing I haven't really paid attention too but I kind of feel like that is more in Fabbro's game than Carriers but someone else from Nashville can correct me if I'm wrong on that. Definitely neither have that in heir game like a Subban did though.

And no he's not hurt, Brunnette has decided to sit him despite the fact he has been playing pretty well. Frankly if I was Fabbro I'd ask for a trade.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
TBH the stretch pass thing I haven't really paid attention too but I kind of feel like that is more in Fabbro's game than Carriers but someone else from Nashville can correct me if I'm wrong on that. Definitely neither have that in heir game like a Subban did though.

And no he's not hurt, Brunnette has decided to sit him despite the fact he has been playing pretty well. Frankly if I was Fabbro I'd ask for a trade.

Yeah. As an outside observer, i haven't necessarily see a ton of aptitude for that "long stretch pass" from either of Carrier or Fabbro. Part of that may just be in the systems and what they've been asked to do. But i think overall, they're both much more in that "quick, efficient" model of puck-movers. They make good quick decisions and defer more to the safe, "easy" outlet to get play moving back in the right direction. Not as much the type to hang onto the puck for a while longer and look for the "home run" pass.

The Fabbro thing is kind of weird, because as someone else mentioned...it's multiple coaches now who have kinda...tolerated him, but not clearly not loved him in the lineup. I think part of it is maybe, that he can be a bit of an "economical" player at times. Doesn't really have a consistently high intensity level...which can irk coaches. Not that he's actually soft or lazy per se, but if a coach is perceiving that he's got another gear that he should be able to get to and he just never does...that's gonna frustrate them. That's always been my impression of Fabbro at least.

Reactions: Smitty426

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah. As an outside observer, i haven't necessarily see a ton of aptitude for that "long stretch pass" from either of Carrier or Fabbro. Part of that may just be in the systems and what they've been asked to do. But i think overall, they're both much more in that "quick, efficient" model of puck-movers. They make good quick decisions and defer more to the safe, "easy" outlet to get play moving back in the right direction. Not as much the type to hang onto the puck for a while longer and look for the "home run" pass.

The Fabbro thing is kind of weird, because as someone else mentioned...it's multiple coaches now who have kinda...tolerated him, but not clearly not loved him in the lineup. I think part of it is maybe, that he can be a bit of an "economical" player at times. Doesn't really have a consistently high intensity level...which can irk coaches. Not that he's actually soft or lazy per se, but if a coach is perceiving that he's got another gear that he should be able to get to and he just never does...that's gonna frustrate them. That's always been my impression of Fabbro at least.
It's weird cause I've always taken that as him being even keeled, which is why has worked well with Josi. I wouldn't want both my Dmen pushing the play.

I've started to wonder if it's not something outside games, because what we see and how the coaches handle him just don't line up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's weird cause I've always taken that as him being even keeled, which is why has worked well with Josi. I wouldn't want both my Dmen pushing the play.

I've started to wonder if it's not something outside games, because what we see and how the coaches handle him just don't line up.

It could be something else. And i agree, that there's certainly a role and a place for more "complementary" defencemen. Especially in today's league, where you can't afford to have a bunch of star play drivers pushing things all the time, even if you wanted to. Guys who can just quietly play second fiddle to a dynamic, star defence partner are absolutely valuable.

But if there's one consistent, pretty much universal thing that drives coaches nuts...it's players who don't ever really look like they're "hustling" or giving "full effort/intensity". Which is very much the way Fabbro always comes across to me. So...sometimes the simplest explanation is right. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It could be something else. And i agree, that there's certainly a role and a place for more "complementary" defencemen. Especially in today's league, where you can't afford to have a bunch of star play drivers pushing things all the time, even if you wanted to. Guys who can just quietly play second fiddle to a dynamic, star defence partner are absolutely valuable.

But if there's one consistent, pretty much universal thing that drives coaches nuts...it's players who don't ever really look like they're "hustling" or giving "full effort/intensity". Which is very much the way Fabbro always comes across to me. So...sometimes the simplest explanation is right. :dunno:
I mean I've watched him since he came into the NHL, I've seen guys not giving full effort, we just offloaded one to Colorado, shoot we had Mike Ribiero lol, and that's not something that any poster on the Preds board has ever accussed him of, and we have some guys that haven't been his biggest fan.

Intensity I might could see, but not everyone is wound up like a Mike Fisher or Tanner Jeannot.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I don't see any problem whatsoever with Fabbro's effort/intensity. He is quick and economical, but it's just his style, he's not ever going to be a punishing physical guy... but then neither is Carrier. But it could be off-ice intensity more than on-ice, maybe he just doesn't ride the bike hard enough or join in on poker nights or something, who knows. :dunno:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Fabbro is the youngest right side defenseman. Maybe the coaches are still helping him reach another level. Hynes doesn’t develop defensemen so now Brunette has tooo

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Should trade luke schenn imo
Well he was signed as much for leadership as anything, and he has only played 3 games so far, one of which he got hurt in. He’s not going to get traded. But for sure I’d be shocked if he is ever as good as Fabbro.

Best we can hope for from Schenn is that he gets a little better and at least isn’t a liability on the ice, while we benefit in some other fashion from his “intangibles”. :dunno:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'd offer NJ's 2nd and Thomas Bordeleau for Fabbro from the Sharks. I think Bordeleau's dad is a skills coach with the Preds FWIW. Nashville can also have one of our RDs signed past this season (Matt Benning, Jan Rutta or Kyle Burroughs) if they want.

Ledge And Dairy

I think Calgary would have interest in Fabbro if and when they sell off Hanifin and Tanev. He's only a year younger than Hanifin but more importantly he's 8 and a half years younger than Tanev and plays a similar style. I could see him being a Siegenthaler caliber player

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What's the ask on Carrier?

3rd + s prospect?
I don't know what a s prospect is, but regardless, Carrier isn't going to be traded. I still think Fabbro is better, but those are the two guys they should be keeping on RD. Schenn and Barrie are the two who should go if anybody does. More likely nobody does. Because the Preds don't have any pressure or motivation to move ANYBODY right now, certainly not for picks or prospects when the team is aiming to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad