Proposal: Carolina-Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Made sense for Carolina in the offseason, but not now. After the Wiz buyout and a lack of meaningful signings, Murphy is the de facto #3 RD on the Canes. Makes no sense to move him at this point.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year, but to me, the only value Murphy has is that, other than Faulk, he's the only defensemen on Carolina that is under contract for next season, will have met the "games played" requirement, and is not exempt to the expansion draft. Unless they find someone else that fits that bill, they'd have to expose Faulk, which ain't happening.

And other than being right handed, I can't see why EDM would want him. Again, I hope he proves me wrong this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think this trade has been discussed before, both sides seemed warm to it.

Yak is on his last legs in EDM, competition is tight for spots.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We have enough maybes trying to crack the roster on D. Would rather have a guy we wouldn't lose to waivers.

This, pretty much.

Murphy is in the same position as Clendening was last year. I'd take a flyer on Ryan Murphy, but I'd prefer to keep Yakupov.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We have enough maybes trying to crack the roster on D. Would rather have a guy we wouldn't lose to waivers.

That's probably what most Oil fans are thinking when they imagine the Oilers not trading Yakupov.
If Edmonton doesn't trade Yak before the beginning of the season he'll probably end up being a bench warmer by 1/2 into the season unless hell freezes over and he learns how to play hockey. Regardless at the end of the year we won't be protecting him when the expansion draft comes.

I think this trade works for Edmonton. If Murphy craps the bed with us then like Yakupov he'll be one more guy that we won't be protecting at the expansion draft. Yakupov might thrive on another team under the right circumstances but at this point I'm thinking Edmonton is better off getting rid of Yak so that Versteeg and one of Caggiula and Puljujjarvi stay up after the expansion.

I'm leaning heavily towards Puljujjarvi.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Hopkins-Versteeg
Maroon-Drai-Puljujjarvi
Kassian-Letesnu-Hendo
Pacman/Lander

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse/Reinhart-Murphy
Osterle/Fayne

One of Nurse or Reinhart are going down to the AHL. I wish we could find a way more solid right handed d-man so that we could sign Gryba to be our #7. Then I'd feel pretty comfy if Osterle was playing 3rd pairing minutes and then we could send both Nurse and Reinhart down where they'll play bigger minutes. Neither are ready for significant minutes and need to play more. They can learn in the NHL, but we need most consistent players right now.

It's really hard to judge Osterle right now, but I'd like to try that out. If he fails we can still call up one of Reinhart or Nurse.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't understand it from an Edmonton point of view, to be honest.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Hopkins-Versteeg
Pouliot-Drai-Puljujjarvi
Kassian-Letesnu-Hendo
Pacman/Lander

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse/Reinhart-Murphy
Osterle

Double shifting Pouliot. Bold move, but I like it. :sarcasm:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Double shifting Pouliot. Bold move, but I like it. :sarcasm:

He misspelled Maroon :)

I'd rather just trade Yak for a pick to free up a spot for Versteeg or JP. Oilers only need a top-pair RHD... the rest they have in spades.

I have no idea where thadd jettisoned Davidson either. He plays above Nurse and Reinhart for sure.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He misspelled Maroon :)

I'd rather just trade Yak for a pick to free up a spot for Versteeg or JP. Oilers only need a top-pair RHD... the rest they have in spades.

I agree the Oilers likely wouldn't want Murphy, and as a Canes fan, I'm not real high on Murphy anyhow, but in terms of true RHD, don't the Oilers only really have Larsson as a true RHD? I realize others may/can play on the offhand side, but other than Fayne, aren't all of your D left handed?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I agree the Oilers likely wouldn't want Murphy, and as a Canes fan, I'm not real high on Murphy anyhow, but in terms of true RHD, don't the Oilers only really have Larsson as a true RHD? I realize others may/can play on the offhand side, but other than Fayne, aren't all of your D left handed?

Larsson and Fayne are our only right handed d-men. If Fayne looks like garbage we might have a problem as we don't have a left handed D that will be able to accomplish anything significant.

Sekera played solid on his off side last season, but he by no means blew us away. If Davidson continues to trend Sekera could afford to be moved to the left side and Davidson on the right because Sekera passes the puck more while Davidson is more of a rusher.

One thing that would suck is that it would be unlikely that Davidson's shot would be so effective on his off side and I really enjoyed watching him rip those slap shots last year.

After the Hall trade I was hoping Edmonton could give up Hopkins plus one or two assets that didn't include Nurse and that we might be able to get a solid puck moving right handed d to play on the 2nd pairing for the foreseeable future and a by no means elite but reliable 3rd line center in exchange.

I would have been cool to trade the 2017 first with the assumption that it's not going to have the value of a lottery pick and/or (depending on exactly who was coming back) the 2018 1st with the assumption that it's going to have the value of 20th overall or later.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think this trade has been discussed before, both sides seemed warm to it.

Yak is on his last legs in EDM, competition is tight for spots.
Same old Yak last night in pre season running around aimlessly like a chicken with his head cut off. Oiler fans are seeing the light that he just does not get it and does not have the IQ for the NHL level. He is a like a cartoon of milk reaching it's expiry date and starting to smell

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Canes I believe need Murphy to expose in next year's entry draft. This will require the canes to aquire another D man to expose.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Canes I believe need Murphy to expose in next year's entry draft. This will require the canes to aquire another D man to expose.

The other alternative would be signing Hainsey to an extension. But yeah, that's Murphy's value right not- insulation against Vegas taking one of the defenseman we actually care about.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
The other alternative would be signing Hainsey to an extension. But yeah, that's Murphy's value right not- insulation against Vegas taking one of the defenseman we actually care about.

Dare I ask how that provides insulation? Chances are they are going to take the best player that can't be protected, having extra guys laying around won't help.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Dare I ask how that provides insulation? Chances are they are going to take the best player that can't be protected, having extra guys laying around won't help.

Most of Carolina's D are exempt or don't have 2 year contracts. Currently the only 2 D they can expose are Murphy or Faulk. So in that case Murphy's role is pretty important. Obviously if he were to go there are other options to avoid exposing Faulk, but it would just create an unnecessary headache.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Most of Carolina's D are exempt or don't have 2 year contracts. Currently the only 2 D they can expose are Murphy or Faulk. So in that case Murphy's role is pretty important. Obviously if he were to go there are other options to avoid exposing Faulk, but it would just create an unnecessary headache.

I still don't understand the reasoning, if you have no worthwhile D to expose they will just take an F or G over Murphy. I am pretty sure they took the qualifiers out over what players need to be exposed.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
But you have to expose at least one D man, as far as I know. Vegas doesn't have to take him, but there has to be the option. So if Murphy is gone, the Canes will have to expose Faulk. That's a big problem. You keep Murphy for the sole purpose of exposing him, which let's you protect Faulk. Vegas may not take Murphy, but you can be damn sure they'd take Faulk if the option is there, which the Canes can't let happen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Murphy would actually be a good fit in Edmonton. They've lacked puck moving dmen and he could be a guy to fill that void in a bottom pairing role.

I have a feeling that a Teravainen - Staal - Yakupov line would be pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad