Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I think Price is going to be traded before his new deal kicks in just like PK, he has checked out of here, it's not injury, it's not technique but simply a guy that has moved on. I would move Niemi at the deadline if possible and call up Lindgren and play him more than Price. There is no sense in risking injury to Price and have him out there giving a half assed effort. I am a Price fan but his disinterest is too obvious.
For the Subban trade, the Habs took back a bad Shea Weber contract. To move Carey Price via a trade, the Habs might have to take on Claude Giroux’s contract and still give Philly $2M per season for eight years.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
For the Subban trade, the Habs took back a bad Shea Weber contract. To move Carey Price via a trade, the Habs might have to take on Claude Giroux’s contract and still give Philly $2M per season for eight years.
It is a mess that's for sure and I don't even know why the deal was done last summer, we lost some of our best players and now sit here with no real option other than a rebuild with an 85 million dollar goalie. So many wtf decisions on this team in the last 6 years.

Reactions: VAN-HAB

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
Well, Steven Stamkos (younger than Carey Price) chose a different route. Stamkos didn’t resign until he was a FA and gave Tampa Bay a home discount at $8M per season whereas Montreal City lover Carey Price did not.

I don't think you understood my post...

ppil

Sep 22, 2005
Quebec
Well, Steven Stamkos (younger than Carey Price) chose a different route. Stamkos didn’t resign until he was a FA and gave Tampa Bay a home discount at $8M per season whereas Montreal City lover Carey Price did not.

Not to defend Price, but Stamkos "home discount" was not a discount at all given that it is the same post tax money than what he would have gotten by signing the max salary in Toronto.

This whole team (with the exception of Gallagher) does not seem to care. You can put it on Price, but honestly, I'm not seeing how different it would be without him, other than some around here would feel much better knowing that there's one less person making 10M+ in Quebec...

The Habs have a ton of cap space... There wasn't many UFA to sign last summer (other than the ones we had, the ones who many complained were part of the team that were out in the first round last year...)... And to be honest, assuming Tavares is not only interested by money, I'm not sure if there will be enough on the market next year to spend that free cap space money... I mean, Plekanec is still one of the top 5 UFA center this summer...

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
It is a mess that's for sure and I don't even know why the deal was done last summer, we lost some of our best players and now sit here with no real option other than a rebuild with an 85 million dollar goalie. So many wtf decisions on this team in the last 6 years.
There is no certainty that Geoff Molson will go the rebuild route perhaps opting for a tweak instead.

If he trades Patch, Andrew Shaw, Chucky, Benn and Thomas P for draft picks or for ready to play prospects and not take on veteran players, then it’s a rebuild. If the team continues to tank and perhaps wins the draft lottery and gets that Swedish superstar left shooting defenceman Dahlin, the rebuild will be quicker.

I doubt the veteran loving Claude Julien is the right head coach for a rebuilding team. He has to go.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There is no certainty that Geoff Molson will go the rebuild route perhaps opting for a tweak instead.

If he trades Patch, Andrew Shaw, Chucky, Benn and Thomas P for draft picks or for ready to play prospects and not take on veteran players, then it’s a rebuild. If the team continues to tank and perhaps wins the draft lottery and gets that Swedish superstar left shooting defenceman Dahlin, the rebuild will be quicker.

I doubt the veteran loving Claude Julien is the right head coach for a rebuilding team. He has to go.

Another poor decision, they gave the guy a 5 year contract right away, was that really necessary? He seems very reluctant to play young players and I don't know why, we have been out of playoff contention for basically the last two months. I wouldn't mind seeing him fired as well. I want them all fired, every single person connected to what we have witnessed here over the last 6 years.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Not to defend Price, but Stamkos "home discount" was not a discount at all given that it is the same post tax money than what he would have gotten by signing the max salary in Toronto.

This whole team (with the exception of Gallagher) does not seem to care. You can put it on Price, but honestly, I'm not seeing how different it would be without him, other than some around here would feel much better knowing that there's one less person making 10M+ in Quebec...

The Habs have a ton of cap space... There wasn't many UFA to sign last summer (other than the ones we had, the ones who many complained were part of the team that were out in the first round last year...)... And to be honest, assuming Tavares is not only interested by money, I'm not sure if there will be enough on the market next year to spend that free cap space money... I mean, Plekanec is still one of the top 5 UFA center this summer...
If Tomas Plekanec is a top 5 UFA this July 1, does that mean he might get an Andrew Ladd-like $6M per season contract?!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What other option did he have? Play a full year not signed and risk injury? Ask for a trade and hope MB does it, knowing it will sink the team? Refuse to play and have the press and public hate on him, then try to sign elsewhere looking like a troublemaker?

Or go to MB, ask for the moon, and sign the papers? Then if it doesn't work out, play your way out of their favour and hope they trade you?

What is Tavares doing? Would it be the first time that a top player wants to change place and will risk going with no contracts? Or is it indicative that if he did that thinking he could be injured...how great is it for us to have sign a goalie with potential risk injuries? Who cares how he will look if he signs elsewhere. You think he will care? Does he seem to care now? Is he afraid of being booed when he comes back? Really? Carey Price? If I want to commit to a team for longer team and maybe forever, I'd see where my team is headed. But I guess he did that and he was just as blind as Bergevin thought....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Carey Price knows Habs fans will turn on him when he has a stinker of a game just like they turned on him once when he was sharing the nets with Jaraslav Halak and Bob Gainey was the general manager (that night the fans gave Price the raspberries and in return, he raised his goalie stick and blocker glove to the fans a la Patrick Roy).

Gainey made the right decision to keep Price and trade Halak.

Price wanted the largest contract for a goalie and he wouldn’t give Montreal a home discount. He is not a team player. He visibly blasted his defencemen whenever they gave up more than two goals in a game. He has smashed his goalie’s stick against the goal posts unlike the gentleman Martin Brodeur.

The only thing Carey Price has to do to have the favour of the crowd is doing everything EXCEPT what he's doing. Not caring, throwing the puck to the opponent. Not showing any signs of him caring. Not even a broken stick on the net. Nothing. He does that in practice though. When nobody is looking. The guy has more emotions in practice than in games.....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
In his defense, when he signed his deal Radulov and Markov were still on the roster.

Come on man...that was July 2nd. He is inside the room. He knew where this was headed. Or at the very least, clearly not knowing where this was headed, which is not a sign of being confortable.....Why didn't he decide to wait till those files were settled? Did he has to sign July 2nd? And while it's not that big of a deal.....seeing how he handles himself, not being present LIVE for a press conference by signing the biggeste contract ever signed in the history of the Montreal Canadiens....says a lot.

Let's hope that his attitude won't overtake the crap that is in front of him. Unless he is that incredible leader that is doing all of this on purpose, trying to take the heat off everyboyd in this organization.....but no.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
$70 million guarenteed dollars. How does any human, knowing what the market is for goalies turn that down. You can argue he sold out forsure, but if that’s on the table you would be clinically insane to decline. Price is here because he had a desperate GM who thinks a goalie can turn any terrible team into a playoff team, which seems to be all Molson cares about. Well they guessed wrong. Very wrong.

You are a competitor. You want to WIN at all costs. Tell me who wouldn't accept 60M$ in a lower tax place but that is looking so much better for the future than a crappy team that might look better once he stars really sucking or keep being injured.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Another poor decision, they gave the guy a 5 year contract right away, was that really necessary? He seems very reluctant to play young players and I don't know why, we have been out of playoff contention for basically the last two months. I wouldn't mind seeing him fired as well. I want them all fired, every single person connected to what we have witnessed here over the last 6 years.
The recently fired ex-Bruins’s HC Claude Julien was vacationing with his wife and cashing his $2.25M annual salary severance cheques when after getting Cam Neely’s permission which he did with much glee, Marc Bergevin phoned Julien to offer the HC job after sacking his bunker buddy Michel Therrien who Geoff Molson knew had the same defence first and foremost and play not to lose philosophy as Julien.

Marc asked Julien how much he wanted and Claude figured since Babcock was making $6.25M and Coach Q $6M per season, $5M for five seasons sounded just right. Kaching!! !

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Just read his interview when he signed the contract and this whole there are no better places to play hockey is a whole lot of baloney. It's probably among the worst. That the same guy who complained to not be able to do his groceries alone....I mean that statement, yes in 2013, but tell me it has changed, when he said "I don't even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. I'm like a hobbit in a hole. I just don't do anything anymore." is a sign of the great place to play hockey in Montreal....lol

I guess he got used to be a rabbit....

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The only thing Carey Price has to do to have the favour of the crowd is doing everything EXCEPT what he's doing. Not caring, throwing the puck to the opponent. Not showing any signs of him caring. Not even a broken stick on the net. Nothing. He does that in practice though. When nobody is looking. The guy has more emotions in practice than in games.....
Aside from Brendan Gallagher and occasionally Andrew Shaw, no other Habs’ player plays with passion and especially their captain Patch.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

This whole 5 years to Bergie and Julien existed only for 1 reason. And yes, I will have to bring the language factor. This is where it hurts. I don't doubt for 1 second that there are great guys that speaks french that could be great coaches and GM's. I actually there are more than people think. Thing is....I'm so low in confidence towards Molson and Co (who decides to ask Serge Savard who clearly has no idea what hockey nowadays is all about and don't follow it), that signing those guys for 5 years is buying peace and tranquility of not having to find other candidates. That's the only reason. Giving 3 year contract is perfect. They mostly have all that .But what that means is that at year 2 of the contract, you might very well consider firing those guys as you will have only 1 year left. Yet....with 5-years to a contract, it will usually mean that you'll consider firing them at year....4. So A big long break for Molson and Co. I found 1.....it's already tough like that....give me a long break. But wiser man would know that those guys exist if he still wants to go that way but would have to work harder.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Just read his interview when he signed the contract and this whole there are no better places to play hockey is a whole lot of baloney. It's probably among the worst. That the same guy who complained to not be able to do his groceries alone....I mean that statement, yes in 2013, but tell me it has changed, when he said "I don't even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. I'm like a hobbit in a hole. I just don't do anything anymore." is a sign of the great place to play hockey in Montreal....lol

I guess he got used to be a rabbit....
Carey Price’s knockout wife does the grocery shopping these days! Seriously, if the millionaire Price is noticed no matter where he goes in Montreal and that doesn’t suit him, maybe we can trade him to Philly where he would blend in with a much larger population.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Aside from Brendan Gallagher and occasionally Andrew Shaw, no other Habs’ player plays with passion and especially their captain Patch.

Yes, but then, it always come back to money. And while he's not making it yet....Price is seen as the 10M$ guy. With the big target on his head. BEcause we kept hearing how he is the greatest goalie in the whole universe day in day out. Despite others playing better. But now, not only we still hear it but he is paid like it. And in Montreal, the target just expanded. But hey, he's fine about it. He signed here, the best place to ever play hockey.....it's not like he gets frustrated because of something on Twitter and will stop saluting the fans....Clearly nothing gets to him.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Giroux is a high end player and a center. You pull the trigger if you can. Add if you have to.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Carey Price’s knockout wife does the grocery shopping these days! Seriously, if the millionaire Price is noticed no matter where he goes in Montreal and that doesn’t suit him, maybe we can trade him to Philly where he would blend in with a much larger population.
Sadly, the prideful Philly general manager Ron Hextall won’t trade for a goaltender who’s better than he was.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Giroux is a high end player and a center. You pull the trigger if you can. Add if you have to.

A team like ours CANNOT make lateral moves. We will be at the same spot if we add Giroux without knowing what Lindgren can do. Till this team cannot do a Nashville getting rid of a D without fragilizing that D and add a C.....nothing will make any sense. Just like adding a Drouin without adding to it. You need to get multiple pieces and hope these pieces pan out. Or wait till you draft so many great bodies to make you so deep you could do those things.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Claude Giroux, a Frenchman, feeding Jonathan Drouin would bring the Habs’ fans to their feet with every shift.
Oh god...id only want Giroux because he's a quality player. Couldn't care less about the French bigots that cheer harder because of the language a player speaks.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
A team like ours CANNOT make lateral moves. We will be at the same spot if we add Giroux without knowing what Lindgren can do. Till this team cannot do a Nashville getting rid of a D without fragilizing that D and add a C.....nothing will make any sense. Just like adding a Drouin without adding to it. You need to get multiple pieces and hope these pieces pan out. Or wait till you draft so many great bodies to make you so deep you could do those things.
Giroux is a guy that controls and pushes his linemates. Carey price has checked out. It's not a lateral move by any means. Any average goalie and Giroux would make the habs a much better team.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
This whole 5 years to Bergie and Julien existed only for 1 reason. And yes, I will have to bring the language factor. This is where it hurts. I don't doubt for 1 second that there are great guys that speaks french that could be great coaches and GM's. I actually there are more than people think. Thing is....I'm so low in confidence towards Molson and Co (who decides to ask Serge Savard who clearly has no idea what hockey nowadays is all about and don't follow it), that signing those guys for 5 years is buying peace and tranquility of not having to find other candidates. That's the only reason. Giving 3 year contract is perfect. They mostly have all that .But what that means is that at year 2 of the contract, you might very well consider firing those guys as you will have only 1 year left. Yet....with 5-years to a contract, it will usually mean that you'll consider firing them at year....4. So A big long break for Molson and Co. I found 1.....it's already tough like that....give me a long break. But wiser man would know that those guys exist if he still wants to go that way but would have to work harder.
Molson should hire a president to make the tough decisions since he is unable to or won’t make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad