Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Ty Smith signs extension with the Hurricanes (1 year, $775k, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How did he fall out of favor so hard?

Neither of the above posters are correct.

The issue with Ty Smith is his compete. It's been his issue going back to his junior days.

I'll be very curious to see what he does in Carolina if they utilize him in their top six. I don't think he'll find a spot given Morrow being a similar player with high upside, but if he's given a shot in the NHL, I think he has the skill and abilities to be a solid 3rd pairing guy especially with a player like Chatfield.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Morrow
Smith - Chatfield

Is an interesting build.

• Haha
Reactions: Turin

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

The issue with Ty Smith is his compete. It's been his issue going back to his junior days.

I'll be very curious to see what he does in Carolina if they utilize him in their top six. I don't think he'll find a spot given Morrow being a similar player with high upside, but if he's given a shot in the NHL, I think he has the skill and abilities to be a solid 3rd pairing guy especially with a player like Chatfield.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Morrow
Smith - Chatfield

Is an interesting build.
No, you're thinking of Pouliot.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Morrow
Smith - Chatfield

Is an interesting build.

That’s not a very good top 6. They would be crazy to let both Pesce and Skeij walk.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
He and Pouliot are basically the same: undersized, mediocre skating OFD who can't process the play quickly enough to make up for the mediocre skating

Just like Pouliot never panned out, Smith is never going to pan out either.
Agree they have the same physical problems, except Smith isn't lackadaisical like Pouliot, he's plenty busy - it's just his feet don't take him anywhere no matter how much they churn. With Pouliot, the guy could not be bothered to show a pulse no matter how much pressure was bearing down on him.

Reactions: wetcoast

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like Carolina will have him in the NHL as an effective player by the end of the year.

I will never understand why PIT didn't give him a single shot given his play in the AHL.

Yeah. I'm really curious if this guy ever actually gets another shot. It seems pretty strange that he hasn't. He's got draft pedigree, and a decent skillset, performs well at the AHL level and showed some real promising flashes early in his NHL career with New Jersey. But since then, he's basically just been left to rot on the vine in the AHL for some reason.

He very well just may not have "it"...but it's weird to me that teams haven't seemed inclined to even bother to find out. For years now.

Not a smooth skater. But he has the tools. Sees the game better than Pouliot ever did. Hope it works out for him.

Hmmm...i'd actually describe him as a pretty "smooth" skater. He's looked actually decently quick and agile at times too. Just...not very fast. Doesn't have that long speed or "recovery" or "make up" speed to cover big amounts of ice quickly if/when there's a mistake on the ice or turnover that quickly flips the direction of play.

It became extremely apparent while playing with the corpse of PK Subban with the Devils. Where Subban (who is not a very "smooth" skater) was repeatedly creating these sort of calamitous situations, and where his own speed had fallen off disastrously as well. So you had two guys playing fairly "risky" turnover prone games...and neither had anything resembling the recovery speed to cover up for it.

But it's not really a lack of "smoothness" in his skating. It's a lack of speed, and intensity or apparent urgency.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He had a pretty good rookie season. If he can find his way back to that then I think he can have something of an NHL career.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
2 way deal, lol. I 'member when according to some NJ fans he was a future superstar.

Wish him the best, looks like a great kid. Maybe he can find a niche as a #6-7 D over there.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
He actually looked pretty good on his short stint with the pens last season, and even made a past his prime Dumoulin look decent.

Surprised he didn't get another look after that.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad