Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
All that matters to me is Vrana is given a fair shot. I see no reason to believe that isn't the case.
And I think that it may be the favoir the Caps are doing here is that this is hopefully enough for him to sign with another NHL team after camp. I'd like to see him succeed, but he really has to kick it way up if it is to mean getting in the way of our youth.

Same goes for Mangiapane.

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think there is far too much being taken from a slice of preseason games.

CMM has to hit 50pts to be acceptable? Geez. How about refining his 2 way game (defense and face offs) and becoming a 40pt 3rd line 2 way center?

Isn’t he “kinda” there, already?

Lapierre did great last year. Will he slump? Possibly? Will he push forward? Probably?

Dismissing or promoting any players after THREE preseason games is looking to ride a roller coaster. It’s asking too much, right now.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think there is far too much being taken from a slice of preseason games.

CMM has to hit 50pts to be acceptable? Geez. How about refining his 2 way game (defense and face offs) and becoming a 40pt 3rd line 2 way center?

Isn’t he “kinda” there, already?

Lapierre did great last year. Will he slump? Possibly? Will he push forward? Probably?

Dismissing or promoting any players after THREE preseason games is looking to ride a roller coaster. It’s asking too much, right now.
I think perhaps I wasn't clear:

McMichael doesn't need 50 points to be acceptable this season as a personal metric, but based on the strides Lapierre was making and assuming some things for sake of argument (no significant regressions, injuries, massive steps forward, etc.) I think he would need to get around there to stay ahead developmentally and secure his position in the organization. This whole thing is kind of baked around the idea that Dubois is here to stay and they won't be trading Strome any time soon, so my statement is solely about what McMichael would need to do to be comfortably in the game of musical chairs.

I don't see McMichael being Lars Eller effective as a strong 2-way 3C on the defensive side of the puck. I don't think he's bad, but I don't think 40 point shutdown match-up center is in the cards for him. Unless that changed this summer and he's taken super soldier serum, I think his best bet is as a refined producer and flirting with a 20+30 type of season. Honestly given how many times he fudged good chances last year that could hit 30+30+ if things go well for him. I could be wrong about the defense, he's a smart player and maybe this is the year he attacks the role but to me his best way forward is going to be flipping the switch offensively, working on his shooting and converting on more chances.

Obviously there are variables on variables here, but we were talking about long term and how to navigate his development in relation to the other centers on the team. No doubt, I've loaded this with a lot of assumptions but you... kind of have to in order to start projecting down the road, and that's why it's not a plan set in stone.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
3rd line in this franchise's recent history kind of seems to be the position where you just dump guys who aren't top 6 fits and aren't your best 4th line grinders and there's no other rhyme or reason. They don't really build with a 3rd line "policy" or philosophy in mind, I guess.

Or maybe they do and it's just not apparent or coming to mind.

That said, if you have Lappy or CMM as your 3C you're more or less committing to a "throw in a few extra goals while giving the other lines a breather and try not to stink defensively" posture, right?

It's your wild card line. You're hoping for a bit of this and a bit of that out of it, and maybe some "development" when you can afford it.

Who gives you more of a chance for that? I don't see CMM becoming a tough shutdown guy, well, ever...but maybe he can find enough of a scoring touch and playmaking ability to complement just the right linemates at 3C.

That has to be your goal and probably his acknowledged ceiling in the organization right now given their positions with PLD and Strome as HTFN said.

Will CMM put up double digit goals playing primarily on the 3rd line with "spare parts" wingers? If not then what else is he bringing?

WRT Lappy, I haven't watched him closely for quite as long so can't make a fair assessment, but my sense is he has more upside and possibly more versatility if he can make it work at 6'0" and 180lbs against other mid-sixers in the league.

CMM has played 3x as many NHL games as Jimi despite being only 1 year older. Their draft positions are almost identical (25 and 22 overall respectively in consecutive drafts), their height and weight are the same, etc.

The Caps basically have doubles of this particular hockey card and at some point they will probably have to trade one unless something drastic happens.

Reactions: Jags

Oresy

Sep 17, 2024
I think it's a good fit. He can play in the middle six and on PP2 and adds speed and offensive talent. He's not new to the league so he could be a very good 13F as well without risking his development.

If I had to guess I think Caps mgmt and maybe the coaching staff think Lapierre and Miro need one more year before writing their name in ink in the top six. Lapierre is also waiver-exempt so they can have him start in Hershey if that want to give looks to other guys.

Locks: Ovi, Strome, PLD, Mangiapane, Strome, Dowd, Duhaime, Raddyish, Protas, Raddysh
Locks unless traded: CMM, Milano
Bubble: Vrana, Lapierre, Miro
Might get a few games due to solid camp: Cristall, Rybinski
Cut/re-assigned/loaned: everyone else
So cut Tom Wilson? Yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad