Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
MacLellan sure made it sound like they expect Bear at camp competing for a spot. Never say never but the buyout option doesn't seem likely. Still think that ought to be the move, though, even if it's a bit unfair. Being tight up against it and not altogether being sold on him as reliable could afford them higher upside depth.
If he's on the team, he's probably the #7 at least going into the year. After the way he played last year, I have a hard time seeing him usurping Jensen/TvR (and I suspect, based on GMBM's comments, that at least one of Jensen or TvR will be moved to bring in someone else).

He can also be sent to Hershey as his cap hit reduces from 2.0625 mil to 912,500 (1.15 can be buried).

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
They have to give him a raise, and disagree that he’s a standard league minimum guy.
I mean hes 26 years old and played his first "real" season on what most would call a pretty weak roster. Glad for him and like the way he plays but dont think the team needs to invest money in a 3rd/4th line tweener that you can get for free every offseason.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean hes 26 years old and played his first "real" season on what most would call a pretty weak roster. Glad for him and like the way he plays but dont think the team needs to invest money in a 3rd/4th line tweener that you can get for free every offseason.
They slow cooked him….their bottom 3 didn’t have any room….he would have played at least 1 year sooner on a lesser team….I think he’s a prototypical 4th liner. Team guy, great motor, defensively strong…I think there is a little upside there still in his role.

McMichael + TvR for Ekblad?
No no no……..

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Hopefully we can LTIR Oshie. If they squeeze CMM with a bridge and give Beck 1.25 and LTIR 77 we'd have around 6-7m to play with still depending on what extra forward and D they want to carry. We really need to dump Jensen somehow too though. I wonder if anybody would actually be interested in him for a pick or if we'd have to pay to get rid of him. He goes for a pick and we'd have 10-11m to play with with 77 on LTIR.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hopefully we can LTIR Oshie. If they squeeze CMM with a bridge and give Beck 1.25 and LTIR 77 we'd have around 6-7m to play with still depending on what extra forward and D they want to carry. We really need to dump Jensen somehow too though. I wonder if anybody would actually be interested in him for a pick or if we'd have to pay to get rid of him. He goes for a pick and we'd have 10-11m to play with with 77 on LTIR.
I think both Jensen and TVR had positive value. I do NOT think Caps will need to pay to move them.

Easily same w Dowd too, depending on how they want to roll here.

Jensen is probably worth a 3rd.

TVR might be worth more bc he’s cheaper and can play both sides.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I think both Jensen and TVR had positive value. I do NOT think Caps will need to pay to move them.

Easily same w Dowd too, depending on how they want to roll here.

Jensen is probably worth a 3rd.

TVR might be worth more bc he’s cheaper and can play both sides.
Am I the only one that felt Jensen’s performance dropped precipitously this past season? To my eyes, he has transformed from a bargain under his previous contract to an expensive liability under his new contract.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Jensen’s name came up around the TDL. I remember the Leafs were one of the teams circling but I can’t recall the others. I’d say he definitely holds some value around the league.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
They've been really miserly with future assets, I'm curious about what a potential CMM trade would look like.. They'd want a defenseman that wasn't older.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
People act like we aren’t better with PLD and Mangiapane. What a joke.

It's some money and questions, but the reward under the Caps coaching could pay off. There will never be any compromise with the full tank crowd vs the retool group. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

McMichael & Malenstyn will eat up a chunk of the remaining space...assuming they're staying put. There's not that much space to work with at the moment. There could be more...but it can't be assumed. They could pay someone to take Jensen or TVR I guess and I wouldn't count that out based on how they're operating.

It seems unlikely they'll go out and spend Oshie's money out of respect to him before he actually makes a final decision. That's the way MacLellan has made it sound anyway, with perhaps additional moves to come later in the off-season once that word comes down. Or perhaps not. At the very least it doesn't seem like they've set any kind of hard deadline. Maybe there's a wink wink understanding or something but at least outwardly the sense is there's still no resolution.

They'll look to be active in the trade market, likely on Jensen or TVR, but may basically be done. After the two RFA forwards sign they may be left with just a shade under $3M for one player. It's quickly become tight. So while they'll look to continue to be active and creatively reshape the roster it's hard to say to what extent they'll be able to execute that. Even if they could dish Jensen or TVR and sign, say, Walker I don't know how different a blueline that is really. Or how different a team they'd be bigger picture. But maybe they'll surprise me with something more substantial.

Beck has to stay imho. He is a warrior and hustles. One of the most important players in the 2023-24 season for my money. I also know 3rd and 4th liners can be replaced.

I think they're gonna have to explore a way to unload Ethan Bear, even despite the optics towards the franchise essentially cutting and running from players in the NHLPA PAP twice in just a few months.

That's some real optimism there. Count it as a gift if someone does.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Am I the only one that felt Jensen’s performance dropped precipitously this past season? To my eyes, he has transformed from a bargain under his previous contract to an expensive liability under his new contract.
He struggled in the beginning. Like he always does under new systems.

He’s still only 33. His wheels didn’t leave him. So his value hasn’t gone anywhere. Not yet.

I’d trade him now, were I GMBM.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He struggled in the beginning. Like he always does under new systems.

He’s still only 33. His wheels didn’t leave him. So his value hasn’t gone anywhere. Not yet.

I’d trade him now, were I GMBM.
TVR is the one I feel had a big drop off last season he seemed to labor on the ice like he's lost some horsepower/speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad