Proposal: Caps Leafs trade offer

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Compaing Nylander to Alex Ovechkin is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard anyone try to defend. See yourself out.

Nylander is absolutely a floater and he’s been called out on it multiple times on multiple syndicated national broadcasts of playoff games. Alex Ovechkin has the benefit of being a generational player and the team, to their credit, built a winner around him. William Nylander is not a generational player, his resume pales in comparison to Ovechkin’s, he’s never won shit, and his contract demands are about to prevent the Leafs from building a competitive roster. Nylander is not a player you acquire unless you’ve assembled a championship roster without him and he’s the final piece. He is absolutely not a winner and the Leafs will not win while trying, in vain, to cover his faults.
Obviously Nylander is not on the same level as Ovechkin. I knew exactly where you would go with this post as I typed it out. Lazy again.

Nylander was ranked #11 for takeaways in the 2022-2023 season. NHL Player Statistics -Advanced Stats

Again, he has his warts and gets lost in the defensive end time to time, but is not a floater. Yes, he hasn't won shit. Neither has many many really good players.

His contract demands are normal, he falls in at a 9 - 9.5M player long term pretty easily. I agree that he's not your franchise player on a winning team, but could easily be the #2, #3 guy.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Obviously Nylander is not on the same level as Ovechkin. I knew exactly where you would go with this post as I typed it out. Lazy again.

Nylander was ranked #11 for takeaways in the 2022-2023 season. NHL Player Statistics -Advanced Stats

Again, he has his warts and gets lost in the defensive end time to time, but is not a floater. Yes, he hasn't won shit. Neither has many many really good players.

His contract demands are normal, he falls in at a 9 - 9.5M player long term pretty easily. I agree that he's not your franchise player on a winning team, but could easily be the #2, #3 guy.
How has paying the #2, #3 guy ~$10M worked out so far for TOR? I’m not paying premium futures to make William Nylander that guy for my team, not now, not ever.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Would need to include some retention + someone like Connor McMichael.
McMichael + Kuz + Oshie for Nylander

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Would need to include some retention + someone like Connor McMichael.
McMichael + Kuz + Oshie for Nylander
I don’t think the Capitals are pursuing Nylander aggressively enough to offer this package. I also doubt the Kuz/Oshie portion of this trade has any interest for TOR. This proposed trade has never made any sense for either team.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I don’t think the Capitals are pursuing Nylander aggressively enough to offer this package. I also doubt the Kuz/Oshie portion of this trade has any interest for TOR. This proposed trade has never made any sense for either team.
Yeah, i doubt Caps would like this deal with McMichael gone but I think the Leafs would take that, especially if Caps retained some of Kuz/Oshie

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
How has paying the #2, #3 guy ~$10M worked out so far for TOR? I’m not paying premium futures to make William Nylander that guy for my team, not now, not ever.
They're at their most successful run in decades, so I'd say pretty well!

I agree Washington shouldn't be spending any assets at all. Need to completely rip down and start again, they are washed.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Such a silly thread.

Offer is absolutely putrid for the Leafs and for Washington it makes no sense to pursue a player like Nylander given where they are headed.

aerovette99

Jan 11, 2014
Atlanta
only way Toronto is moving Slick Willy for Kuz is if the cap are retaining 50% and are including Leonard, Cristall and a 2024 first. Yes that is the gap in value at this point.
Yeah sure. Typical Leaf fan thinking circles jr is worth all that from the Caps. I find that every Maple Leafs trade thoughts have the leafs fans thinking they have the 2nd coming of Gretzky and everyone else has crap. BobClarksFrontTeeth is delusional and the Leafs still suck.

aerovette99

Jan 11, 2014
Atlanta
William Nylander (Re-signed - 9.5M per for 8 years) for Tom Wilson (Re-signed - 7M per for 5 years) + 2024 1st round pick (Top-8 Protected)

I actually agree without Wilson, there probably isn't a deal. They could base one around Leonard also, but he is a ways out from playing in the NHL.
This is an absolute joke. You mean Nylander (Circles Jr.) and Toronto's 1st in 24 & 25 for Wilson...That's what all teams want is a player that disappears in the playoffs and wont go into a corner if his life depended on it. You had Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Bunting and Reilly and you made it past 1 ROUND.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This is an absolute joke. You mean Nylander (Circles Jr.) and Toronto's 1st in 24 & 25 for Wilson...That's what all teams want is a player that disappears in the playoffs and wont go into a corner if his life depended on it. You had Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Bunting and Reilly and you made it past 1 ROUND.
Wilson's play style and older age likely mean his body breaks down over the next few years and he becomes a 3rd/4th line player the rest of the way. Nylander is like Kessel, he avoids the corners like you said, he will be producing until his deal ends. That risk could be catastrophic to look back on from the Leafs end 1 for 1 in a few years. So, something of significance comes back to mitigate that risk.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wilson's play style and older age likely mean his body breaks down over the next few years and he becomes a 3rd/4th line player the rest of the way. Nylander is like Kessel, he avoids the corners like you said, he will be producing until his deal ends. That risk could be catastrophic to look back on from the Leafs end 1 for 1 in a few years. So, something of significance comes back to mitigate that risk.

As a Capitals fan I think your deal (Nylander extended for Wilson extended + WSH 2024 protected first) is a very fair valuation of the two players. I’d make the deal if that was truly Toronto’s final offer.

However given the aura of Tom Wilson and Matthew Tkachuk’s recent postseason run I actually think the deal could just be 1 for 1, or even a small Toronto add instead of a Washington add. I think everyone is going to be looking for the next Matthew Tkachuk, and Tom Wilson is nominally one of the closest players to him, even if he’s nowhere near as good or impactful as Tkachuk.

Unfortunately Washington is almost surely not willing to trade Tom Wilson despite them needing exactly what Nylander brings: transition play, in-zone offense creation, and someone who can take the puck-carrying load off of Washington’s older and slower players.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Some Caps fans are actually enthusiastic about Miroshnichenko, Leonard, Cristall, McMichael, Protas, Lapierre, Iorio, Suzdalev and maybe even Trineyev. Some of us see some of them developing faster than others expected, and expect a few to overachieve significantly.

If we settle those guys in over the next few years, and sort out who are the best fit, we will have a good to great stable of cost controlled youth and a bunch of cap space.

Avoiding going after any expensive big names now gives us the insight and flexibility to go after the right UFAs at the right time (when the Cap goes up and other teams are still somewhat strapped) to build up to sustainable Cup contention. And also have some of the young guys who have developed but are not the best fit as trade chips in hockey trades to also help fill any remaining gaps.

If Ovi is healthy maybe he wants to stay on with year-by-year reasonable cost extensions and go for 1000 goals and few more Cup runs, as Elder Statesman. I've heard he likes to win.

That is why we don't need Nylander this off-season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad