Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Vanecek is 25 and has been under contract for over 5 seasons. I get that this is his first year in the NHL, but I don’t understand how they wouldn’t have to expose him given those circumstances. Those rules were put into place so teams didn’t have to waste protection spots on younger prospects

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
That would be 4 years 50 million - nice round number. But he could probably be persuaded to do 5 - 50 front loaded so he doesn't lose much retiring on the last year of his contract if he chooses to do so
Front-loaded contracts for the over 35s have significant cap implications, though - anything we’ve paid him above his AAV would be reclaimed against the cap in subsequent years, even though he wasn’t playing.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Also what would Alan May know. all we know he’s been in Bethesda all season talking to Alexa. Oh Ovie doesn’t have an agent and only he knows his future right now don’t trust Twitter rumors

Reactions: Rayquaza64

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Vanecek is 25 and has been under contract for over 5 seasons. I get that this is his first year in the NHL, but I don’t understand how they wouldn’t have to expose him given those circumstances. Those rules were put into place so teams didn’t have to waste protection spots on younger prospects

I guess the argument would be teams shouldn’t have to protect a guy who is still at the development stage where they don’t know if they have an NHLer or not. Them investing five years into VV, including stints in the ECHL, isn’t any more or less reason to give them leniency than when it’s CMM in his first pro year.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I guess the argument would be teams shouldn’t have to protect a guy who is still at the development stage where they don’t know if they have an NHLer or not. Them investing five years into VV, including stints in the ECHL, isn’t any more or less reason to give them leniency than when it’s CMM in his first pro year.
I get what you’re saying. I only brought up the 5 years because it was 5 years of professional hockey as opposed to him spending 3-4 of those years in juniors or in college under an amateur status.

Reactions: HecticGlow

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Because we don't have the young talent in the system at this moment to compensate for losing higher priced talent. OV played well last night but it's clear he doesn't have the energy to play that way night in and night out. Right now the team is good enough that he can pick and choose which games to turn it on, but with a younger and cheaper team every game will need his max effort. Furthermore, as well as he played last night in the last 9 games he has 4 points. I would argue that he's lost a little in the finishing area, understandable at his age. I could see him being a 0.7 ppg guy the next 2-3 years without a consistent 200 ft game. Is that someone a winning team normally would give a new $12.5 million per year contract for? So clearly respect and getting him the record would have a huge role in that decision.

Hard to say. When was the last time a generational player was a ufa? When was the last time a team let the best player in their franchise history walk away for absolutely nothing?
Look i get it. I too would love for him to take a $5m 5 year deal and be a hero for sacrificing his salary for the greater good of the team. But even that does not guarantee a cup or even a successful playoff run. Nothing is guaranteed in this league. Perhaps im biased but i never want to see him wear another jersey in this league.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The green just means that player meets the exposure requirements. Every team must expose two forwards and one defenseman who are under contract for 21/22 and have played 40+ games in the most recent season, or 70+ games in the last two seasons. Vrana and Siegs technically do no meet the exposure requirement since they do not yet have a contract for 21/22 BUT they are still eligible to be selected if they were left unprotected.

Caps will meet the exposure requirements no problem with Panik/Hagelin/Dowd at F, Jensen/Dillon at D, and Copley at G.

Was going to say this. Exposure requirement and protection list are not related. We meet exposure requirement easily.

If they are on the player list in CapFriendly simulator, they need to be protected.

It's a pretty decent situation regarding the expansion draft. World is not going to end if we lose one of Vanecek/Dillon/Orlov/Schultz. You can also trade any of them in summer, if the value is right. Trade Vanecek plus one defenseman and what's left for Seattle is total junk. In the past I thought that we'd be leaving Oshie exposed but as the years have come and gone, Oshie is still Oshie and our drafting has produced precious little to replace him.

Anyway, we can't protect just 4 forwards because that would leave Eller exposed too. Not gonna spend the next four years looking for an ideal third line center when we already have one, on a $3.5m contract that ends when he is 33, to boot.

Reactions: tenken00

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The rule is 1st and 2nd year professional players are exempt. Professional includes AHL. Vitek has four years in the AHL, and one year in the NHL. He will not be exempt. Same for Samsonov as he will have one year in the AHL, two in the NHL.

We'll have to choose

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
In the past I thought that we'd be leaving Oshie exposed but as the years have come and gone, Oshie is still Oshie and our drafting has produced precious little to replace him.

I was also on the "get Seattle to take Oshie any way you can" bus before this year, but at this moment, right here right now watching him play... I just don't want to do it anymore... I just can't...

But I've also followed my heart instead of my head a lot of times and it's gotten me into trouble... so....

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The rule is 1st and 2nd year professional players are exempt. Professional includes AHL. Vitek has four years in the AHL, and one year in the NHL. He will not be exempt. Same for Samsonov as he will have one year in the AHL, two in the NHL.

We'll have to choose

NHL.com says the rule is "NHL players" not "professional players" so unless you have read something definitively different (not a blogger but an official source), I'm inclined to go with what NHL.com says. And, it could be wrong, but I'd like to see the source, not a rehash.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I was also on the "get Seattle to take Oshie any way you can" bus before this year, but at this moment, right here right now watching him play... I just don't want to do it anymore... I just can't...

But I've also followed my heart instead of my head a lot of times and it's gotten me into trouble... so....

I know exactly what you mean. I look at that contract and it's rough. On the other hand, I try to imagine the team without Oshie and I just can't do it.

Pittsburgh got rid of Hornqvist last summer. I wonder how they feel about it now. Are they all celebrating, going 'Thank God we don't have that contract any more'? I don't think so. I know how Florida feels about it...

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
NHL.com says the rule is "NHL players" not "professional players" so unless you have read something definitively different (not a blogger but an official source), I'm inclined to go with what NHL.com says. And, it could be wrong, but I'd like to see the source, not a rehash.
yea i've seen that distinction trip people up and it's annoyed me too, but that same article states the 2021 draft will be under the same rules as the 2017 draft. And under the 2017 draft, it was "professional" players (inclusive of AHL). Here's Pierre LeBrun

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The problem with Ovechkin is fairness. Ov is going to make Ted far more money in licensing/merch and ticket sales than he can possible pay him inside the confines of the cba. Every dollar less he takes goes straight into Leonsis' pocket.

My view is that MacLellan has had Ov meet with Fishman who has shown him their projections for the salary cap going forward. Based on that they have put down some numbers that they project that they can pay him and still have cap space to ice a competitive team. I am sure its a completely different sort of contract negotiation

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
yea i've seen that distinction trip people up and it's annoyed me too, but that same article states the 2021 draft will be under the same rules as the 2017 draft. And under the 2017 draft, it was "professional" players (inclusive of AHL). Here's Pierre LeBrun

Is there a games played qualifier? Sammy didn’t exactly play much his last 2 seasons....KHL count?

what constitutes “a 1st or 2nd year”?

Last edited:

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
The problem with Ovechkin is fairness. Ov is going to make Ted far more money in licensing/merch and ticket sales than he can possible pay him inside the confines of the cba. Every dollar less he takes goes straight into Leonsis' pocket.

My view is that MacLellan has had Ov meet with Fishman who has shown him their projections for the salary cap going forward. Based on that they have put down some numbers that they project that they can pay him and still have cap space to ice a competitive team. I am sure its a completely different sort of contract negotiation

This is one of those situations where you make a promise of an after-career position that compensates for concessions against the salary cap now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is one of those situations where you make a promise of an after-career position that compensates for concessions against the salary cap now.

Its been my position for some time now that Ted and Ov have an agreement that Ov will have a legit front office job, assistant gm or similar, and will own a piece of the team. None of that can be done now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its been my position for some time now that Ted and Ov have an agreement that Ov will have a legit front office job, assistant gm or similar, and will own a piece of the team. None of that can be done now.

he’s going to have a goodwill ambassador/Bondra-type role IMO....at most. I don’t see him wanting to grind in his 40s and 50s like an Yzerman as an Exec....maybe I’m wrong. Would be cool.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovie will provide Leonsis with revenue, no doubt. The decision Ovie has to make is whether he wants to max his cap hit at the possible expense of the teams deep playoff hopes. Obviously. And that's in his hands, imo. I think Ted and the FO leave it up to Ovie.

I think Ted should promise to surround Ovechkin with players that will help the team win, and further his goals record chase, in return for a reasonable contract. The post-retirement stuff is likely a cherry on top. Winning and records are likely what matter to him most now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovie will provide Leonsis with revenue, no doubt. The decision Ovie has to make is whether he wants to max his cap hit at the possible expense of the teams deep playoff hopes. Obviously. And that's in his hands, imo. I think Ted and the FO leave it up to Ovie.

I think Ted should promise to surround Ovechkin with players that will help the team win, and further his goals record chase, in return for a reasonable contract. The post-retirement stuff is likely a cherry on top. Winning and records are likely what matter to him most now.

I guess we’ll know when the deal is done.....one can only hope.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Yeah, its confusing, and here's why. The 2017 NHL site for the draft rules clearly stated "1st and 2nd year professionals" are exempt. Then lots of sites including the NHL say the rules for 2021 are the same. But then the NHL site clearly says in the rules in 2021 that "1st and 2nd year NHL players" are exempt.

2017 NHL Rules said:
* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

2021 NHL Rules said:
* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

So Pierre LeBrun's tweet from 2016 was correct back then, but I'm not sure its still correct. Despite people saying "the rules are the same" they clearly are not the same in print, with that one significant exception really impacting both IS and VV. Its entirely possible that the rules are "mostly" the same, like Wesley was mostly dead in Princess Bride.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad