Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Thinking back and forth about 4 and 2 in terms of who to protect.

Schultz has cup experience and skills to help Caps now and in the future. He should be kept.

Dillon is not that good. So you have to be sure kraken doesnt eat Schultz.

Then there is contract difference. 1 year of Schultz does very little for Seattle. There could be a gamble on this.

Also there should be some negotiation and if its possible Caps can maybe pay a pick for them to take certain guy.

Why would they want Panik you will ask? Thats the problem I cant solve yet.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, we envisioned Fever-Carlson pair previously.

I can imagine Fever-Schultz being effective just as well. For some extended period of time.

I see something like that

Dillon-Carlson
Fever-Schultz
Orlov-Alexeev

That can last some time

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Im currently protecting;

Vanecek (or Sammy, tbd. Which one goes unprotected should be open for trade before ED)

JC
Schultz
Dillon

Ovie
Backs
Willy
Oshie
Vrana
Kuzy
Eller

So basically it leaves Orlov, Jensen or Siegenhalert for them.
Orlov has been good lately, but I dont have much of a problem losing him.

Dillon-Carlson
x-Schultz
Fehervary-Jensen

I like Dillon as a glue guy and he is feisty. Schultz has been even better than Orlov and has 1,1 million less money tied. We need that to keep Vrana.

Kraken will not pick Panik, Hagelin, Jensen or whoever. We are not going to pay 1st for them to do so.

Other option is leave Sammy or Vanecek up there for Seattle and save Orlov. Thats depends highly on what we could get for Samsonov or Vanecek in a trade. If its less than a 1st round pick, ill do that.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
0ywnv8lyexk61.jpg

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Bad asset management. Orlov has positive value, you dont send him to Seattle free of charge.

You will have to send someone with positive value to Seattle.

You think they will take negative value? Sure you can trade off Orlov or whoever but then you are also losing another player to Seattle.

Say you trade Orlov for, what, couple picks around 2-3th round? Not sure if anybody will pay that. But then Seattle will pick "Samsonov" so essentially thats "Samsonov"+Orlov for couple picks vs you can atleast keep one of the two "Samsonov" or Orlov. Its up for which one you actually want/need. Id rather have the player than picks right now.

Sure you can also just try and trade anyone with positive value, but are we at that point? Positive value players propably has positive value for us too. More than a pick/prospect.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leave Ovie unsigned until after the expansion draft. Protect 8 total skaters instead of 7F + 3D. Seattle can only take 1 player regardless.

Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Wilson
Carlson
Orlov
Schultz
Dillon

Reactions: DCRedhawk21

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Leave Ovie unsigned until after the expansion draft. Protect 8 total skaters instead of 7F + 3D. Seattle can only take 1 player regardless.

Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Wilson
Carlson
Orlov
Schultz
Dillon
I would rather protect both Eller and Oshie over Dillon.

the protection list really depends on how they view Oshie. I know lots of rumors of making him available to Seattle and it would be a good story and all but right now, my list is 7f 3d

Ovi
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Wilson
Oshie
Vrana
Eller

Carlson
Orlov
Schultz

I keep Schultz as he’s RHD and can replace Carlson if needed due to injury. I’m less worried about losing Dillon since we have a decent LD pipeline (Siegenthaler, Fehervary, Alexeyev).

keep whichever goalie. It’s possible Seattle snags one of them too. At the end of the day, they can only take one player

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Again, I think if the rule is two years or less of NHL experience, then both goalies are safe. For Vegas the rule was two years professional, but the text I've seen for Seattle's ED says two years NHL experience, so both goalies cannot be taken. They can have Copley.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Again, I think if the rule is two years or less of NHL experience, then both goalies are safe. For Vegas the rule was two years professional, but the text I've seen for Seattle's ED says two years NHL experience, so both goalies cannot be taken. They can have Copley.
I never fully understand that rule, but i play around with the capfriendly expansion draft simulator and they know their stuff. Samsonov and Vanecek are both eligible to be taken, so I'll assume that is the case. Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jun 15, 2007
It has become clear that our five year strategic plan is to get Ovi the goals record. Any playoff appearances are just a bonus

I'll tune out and check back in about 4 years if that's the case.

No player should be bigger than the team. Even Ovechkin. If I'm a young player without a cup and my team has basically said "we're dedicating the next 5 years to one player chasing a record and not winning" I'm asking for a trade.

For me, any team that doesn't have the ultimate goal of winning a cup isn't worth watching. Even terrible rebuilding teams want to win a cup, eventually.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Would be ideal if they just kept that cap hit as close as possible to the $9.5 he has now. Pay it all out in signing bonuses. But it’s Ovechkin, decision is really up to him. He’ll get paid what he wants.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I'll tune out and check back in about 4 years if that's the case.

No player should be bigger than the team. Even Ovechkin. If I'm a young player without a cup and my team has basically said "we're dedicating the next 5 years to one player chasing a record and not winning" I'm asking for a trade.

For me, any team that doesn't have the ultimate goal of winning a cup isn't worth watching. Even terrible rebuilding teams want to win a cup, eventually.

Im confused as to why Ovi at 12.5 is basically them dedicating next 5 years to his goal record? What's the magic number that will make you say they are committed to winning as opposed to they are committed to the goal scoring record?

And a follow up question. Have you ever negotiated a lower salary for the greater good of a company that you do not own?

Jun 15, 2007
Im confused as to why Ovi at 12.5 is basically them dedicating next 5 years to his goal record? What's the magic number that will make you say they are committed to winning as opposed to they are committed to the goal scoring record?

And a follow up question. Have you ever negotiated a lower salary for the greater good of a company that you do not own?

1) I didn't say that, someone else did.

2) No I have not but I've never been a professional sportsman in a league with a hard salary cap.

Reactions: dh99

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The more they pay Ovi, the less they’ll have for scoring depth and the more they’ll rely on him - in other words, the more they’ll overwork him in TOI to make up for a lack of scoring depth in the bottom half of the lineup. So the higher his cap hit, potentially the shorter the longevity of his career (and therefore lower his total payout).

If money does have to be moved out for Ovi and/or Vrana, it absolutely should come from a combination of the bottom six and D. There’s no point having Hagelin’s PKing if the team is always going to lose at 5v5 without a Vrana or Oshie. Orlov appears to have peaked, and his cap hit is too high for his production to reduce in the coming years.

Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
XX-Eller-Sheary (if resigned cheaply)
XX-Dowd-Hathaway/XX
Dillon-Carlson
Siegenthaler-Schultz
Fever-Jensen
TVR/XX

In all likelihood you’ll have to lose Kempny and probably two of Dillon, Orlov, Hagelin, Panik and Hathaway to afford replacing them while staying under the cap, but it clearly can be done. Why anyone would think decimating our already-fragile scoring depth is sensible, I’m not sure.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Orlov's points are down this year - so far - and we all talk about his skill-set and talent, which could be that of a potentially 50-plus point player, but, man has he just been so good. I'd love for him to put up more points, but, to be honest, I haven't seen any change for the worse in his play - if anything, even less turnovers and stronger defensive play. It seems like he's become a shutdown defender and he's fine with that. A bit more bounces his way and he could have a few more points. He still glides and stickhandles around players with ease and if anything, picks his spots better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad