Confirmed with Link: Capitals promote Chris Patrick to GM, Brian MacLellan will remain as President of Hockey Ops

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Wow ... i dont listen to a Caps podcast and the WNBA gets more local radio coverage then the Caps but I didnt hear a snippet of this being rumored.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I mean, this probably changes nothing about how the team functions. GMBM is still making the decisions, though I suppose Patrick might now get some of the scut work if it involves talking to the media.

But yeah, not a fan of the nepo promotions.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
GMBM has his biggest off season and hangs it up. We could have just named Cap Friendly GM at this point lol

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Depends really how much Patrick was already doing the job. If this is just making official a system that was effectively in place before now, then fine. If team management is gonna change markedly, then I have concerns.

On the other hand, Mac has been focused on getting younger… ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I mean, this probably changes nothing about how the team functions. GMBM is still making the decisions, though I suppose Patrick might now get some of the scut work if it involves talking to the media.

But yeah, not a fan of the nepo promotions.
GMBM no more. It’s now BMPHO and CPGM.

• Wow
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
If you look at the task list for Patrick from last summer, he was already doing a large portion of the GM job this past year.

In his previous role, Patrick also oversaw the club's professional scouting staff and worked closely with the Hershey Bears, the Capitals AHL affiliate, who captured the 2023 Calder Cup championship. As associate general manager, Patrick will maintain his prior responsibilities as well as oversee the team's analytics department, player contract negotiations, hockey operations staff, player personnel and budget and team scheduling issues.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
BMac has been pretty mediocre since 2018. But at least there was 2018.
And I still liked him better than McPhee.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
BMac is 65 and the era he oversaw is coming to a close. Feels like the perfect time to step aside and I don't see why anyone would have heartburn over this decision. Good organizations groom talent and have succession plans which is markedly different from nepotism, and judging by the responses so far I don't think people understand the difference.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
BMac is 65 and the era he oversaw is coming to a close. Feels like the perfect time to step aside and I don't see why anyone would have heartburn over this decision. Good organizations groom talent and have succession plans which is markedly different from nepotism, and judging by the responses so far I don't think people understand the difference.
Yep. They groom and set up coaches (Carbery), they groom and set up team captains (Wilson and presumably Leonard eventually), so it's no surprise they did the same for their next GM.

The Caps are one of the least dysfunctional NHL teams on and off the ice and would obviously like to continue to be so. Having continuity will significantly help with that.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I don't really have an issue with this promotion and Chris seems perfectly qualified now, but he definitely started out as a pure nepo-hire. According to elite-prospects, he played 20 games for Princeton from 95-98 and then was out of hockey for over a decade before being hired by the Caps as a Pro Scout in 09-10. The hiring press release makes no mention at all of what he was doing before being hired as a Pro Scout, so we can assume it wasn't hockey-related. There's no way a guy gets hired as a Pro Scout more than a decade after ending his hockey career as a college benchwarmer if his dad isn't the President and part owner of the organization. I went through all the guys listed as scouts here and none of them just jumped in as a pro scout without playing in the pros, or scouting/coaching for other organizations, or starting out as an amateur scout, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad