OT: capfriendly Summer Armchair GM Contest

Would you like to participate in this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think there's probably been enough people already talk about it positively enough to make it worthwhile to me to try and manage this thing. By manage I mean, accept people into the game and then pair everyone up with a GM.

Thoughts so far, I'll accept invites through the weekend and plan on starting the process of pairing players up with their respective GMs "Come Monday"*. Remember by playing this game you are agreeing to be both a player as well as an opposing GM/player agent for another contestant. So you will have responsibilities outside of your own team. .

I'm thinking of starting Monday with a poll where y'all pick my GM first so I don't assign myself one. Then I can pair folks from there. Unless someone else has an idea on how to pair, let's hear it. We've got through the weekend to finalize rules, unless y'all want more time, again let me know. There are a couple of thoughts I've already had that would need feedback.

1. Negotiations. How do we want to handle them. It dawned on me, posting them in public would give every other contestant insight and potentially an advantage should the talks fall apart. However, it dawned on me, that this is a public forum and not everyone may be comfortable with Private Messaging. Not sure, just wanted to take the temperature of the room on this, as I have no idea. Personally...I'm old, have lived a long, interesting life and don't give a shit about much anymore. Not everyone feels the same, thankfully.

2. Thee-way trades. Do we want to allow them to happen. Secondly, if we do allow them to happen, does the opposing team GM get to be both opposing team's GM or do we want to up the reality and ask a third player to step in and act in behalf of the third team. If so, I might have to do a second poll asking who is available to be a third GM. I have no idea how many people will try to use one. I would imagine that they would fall into two categories. One, it get's shot done relatively quickly once the third GM has spoken. I feel the majority will end here. The others though, they probably have enough legs to really explore and see if a deal can be reached that all three GMs feel comfortable with.

3. How to approach being an opposing GM/player agent. Act in their behalf. Don't do something stupid just because I got Armstrong drunk. Also, do necessary force a guy you are acting on behalf of to become this year's ERod. Dom might say your guy is worth 7M. But the cap is only going up 1M most teams are already dealing with cap issues after this prolonged period of raises and flat caps. You might consider taking less but trying to get more years or movement protection. Those are the things I would love to see negotiated on. But by all means, feel free to walk away from anything that is insulting, a lowball offer or just plain not in the best interest of your team or player. I would ask that you clearly decline if it's not in the best interest of your club and state why. Most everything else, I would ask that you at least give a chance for a counteroffer and rebuttal. Give the guy a chance to see how far off mark he is, and then an opportunity to give you a different take based on the info you gave him. Don't kill them too quickly, but don't drag the thing into a thesis project either.

Thoughts to remember, this is supposed to be fun and cathartic. We've got Landy's 7M plus whatever you end up trading, if you do, to try and get us some depth. Have fun. As for your side work, specifically, I don't want it to actually feel like work, if you have someone that is just spamming you with entirely too much stuff, PM me, I can ask around for someone to help shoulder the load or would even offer to volunteer myself if I can fit the time in. But also, feel free to decline out right if you aren't getting anywhere. You are the GM and you can say, stop calling me. Dang it, now the thought just dawned on me that I could potentially be pairing up folks with friction. I'd really like a fair way to do this if y'all can think of one. Should I have folks post their trades and signings as polls instead and then require a majority of votes for it to proceed and do away with specifically assigning a single GM, or does having a single GM work better because it allows for more natural negotiations, and we'll just tackle personality issues as they arise. Although, I would like to have a plan for it before we start. Maybe if someone absolutely can't live with the final answer from their opposing GM, we give them an opportunity to put the offer to the group. A supermajority (3/4) are required for the offer to be accepted and you are allowed to throw the flag again. However, if you fail to get a 3/4 supermajority, you not only don't get the offer but you lose the ability to bring another case before the court.

Final thoughts, I don't really have anything to offer, but I might try to buy some stupid low dollar Av related trinket to send the winner. I'll think about that, y'all think about any rules you want to include. Let's fine toon, throw out or build upon what I've got so far and actually finalize the rules of the game as a group.

My suggestion is that we use, and save our team with all the trades and signings in armchair GM, so we can share the finish projects. Let's start with the current Avs for 2023-24 and an $83,500,000 cap (you'll need to add 1M if you look at it today, not sure when they will update it on capfriendly, but that's the last number I heard from the league.) Do we need anything else?

Honest, final thing...a request for technical help. How do I add another poll within this thread? There will be a need, especially when/if y'all vote on a GM for me and if we ended up doing some sort of super council to resolve an issue that someone believes is absolutely unfair.

*Strangely one of Jimmy Buffett's few radio hits of the 70/80s. As a fan, I have literally dozens of songs I love by him more than this one. And no, Margaritaville is not one of them. I liked the song and all, but somewhere in the late 80s the dude turned into a lifestyle salesman and lost that bohemian beach vibe for more corporate culture approved, over-rated, expensive crap. He's become the reason he left Nasvhille all those years ago. Jerry Jeff Walker and his wife Susanna convinced him to vacation in Key West with them. When the Walker's went back home to Texas, Jimmy stayed and the rest is now history. Wish it had a better ending. Although he has had a few really solid songs on the last couple of albums. "Oldest Surfer on the Beach" has really hit a chord with me. His allure though was always escapism, much like reading the works of Stephen King, Robert Louis Stevensen, Louis L'Amour, and to a lesser extent Thomas Wolfe and James Joyce have been for me. It's nice to daydream. It recharges the brain.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It sounds fun. I'm not sure I could do it with my schedule, but it's an intriguing idea.
We haven't created a deadline or timeline for completing anything yet. In fact, "we" is currently a party of two. It's not gaining the traction that I was hoping for but we'll see what happens over the weekend. I'm hoping we get half a dozen to a dozen folks involved.

You can always lurk and feel free to change your vote if things do start to pick up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think there's probably been enough people already talk about it positively enough to make it worthwhile to me to try and manage this thing. By manage I mean, accept people into the game and then pair everyone up with a GM.

Thoughts so far, I'll accept invites through the weekend and plan on starting the process of pairing players up with their respective GMs "Come Monday"*. Remember by playing this game you are agreeing to be both a player as well as an opposing GM/player agent for another contestant. So you will have responsibilities outside of your own team. .

I'm thinking of starting Monday with a poll where y'all pick my GM first so I don't assign myself one. Then I can pair folks from there. Unless someone else has an idea on how to pair, let's hear it. We've got through the weekend to finalize rules, unless y'all want more time, again let me know. There are a couple of thoughts I've already had that would need feedback.

1. Negotiations. How do we want to handle them. It dawned on me, posting them in public would give every other contestant insight and potentially an advantage should the talks fall apart. However, it dawned on me, that this is a public forum and not everyone may be comfortable with Private Messaging. Not sure, just wanted to take the temperature of the room on this, as I have no idea. Personally...I'm old, have lived a long, interesting life and don't give a shit about much anymore. Not everyone feels the same, thankfully.

2. Thee-way trades. Do we want to allow them to happen. Secondly, if we do allow them to happen, does the opposing team GM get to be both opposing team's GM or do we want to up the reality and ask a third player to step in and act in behalf of the third team. If so, I might have to do a second poll asking who is available to be a third GM. I have no idea how many people will try to use one. I would imagine that they would fall into two categories. One, it get's shot done relatively quickly once the third GM has spoken. I feel the majority will end here. The others though, they probably have enough legs to really explore and see if a deal can be reached that all three GMs feel comfortable with.

3. How to approach being an opposing GM/player agent. Act in their behalf. Don't do something stupid just because I got Armstrong drunk. Also, do necessary force a guy you are acting on behalf of to become this year's ERod. Dom might say your guy is worth 7M. But the cap is only going up 1M most teams are already dealing with cap issues after this prolonged period of raises and flat caps. You might consider taking less but trying to get more years or movement protection. Those are the things I would love to see negotiated on. But by all means, feel free to walk away from anything that is insulting, a lowball offer or just plain not in the best interest of your team or player. I would ask that you clearly decline if it's not in the best interest of your club and state why. Most everything else, I would ask that you at least give a chance for a counteroffer and rebuttal. Give the guy a chance to see how far off mark he is, and then an opportunity to give you a different take based on the info you gave him. Don't kill them too quickly, but don't drag the thing into a thesis project either.

Thoughts to remember, this is supposed to be fun and cathartic. We've got Landy's 7M plus whatever you end up trading, if you do, to try and get us some depth. Have fun. As for your side work, specifically, I don't want it to actually feel like work, if you have someone that is just spamming you with entirely too much stuff, PM me, I can ask around for someone to help shoulder the load or would even offer to volunteer myself if I can fit the time in. But also, feel free to decline out right if you aren't getting anywhere. You are the GM and you can say, stop calling me. Dang it, now the thought just dawned on me that I could potentially be pairing up folks with friction. I'd really like a fair way to do this if y'all can think of one. Should I have folks post their trades and signings as polls instead and then require a majority of votes for it to proceed and do away with specifically assigning a single GM, or does having a single GM work better because it allows for more natural negotiations, and we'll just tackle personality issues as they arise. Although, I would like to have a plan for it before we start. Maybe if someone absolutely can't live with the final answer from their opposing GM, we give them an opportunity to put the offer to the group. A supermajority (3/4) are required for the offer to be accepted and you are allowed to throw the flag again. However, if you fail to get a 3/4 supermajority, you not only don't get the offer but you lose the ability to bring another case before the court.

Final thoughts, I don't really have anything to offer, but I might try to buy some stupid low dollar Av related trinket to send the winner. I'll think about that, y'all think about any rules you want to include. Let's fine toon, throw out or build upon what I've got so far and actually finalize the rules of the game as a group.

My suggestion is that we use, and save our team with all the trades and signings in armchair GM, so we can share the finish projects. Let's start with the current Avs for 2023-24 and an $83,500,000 cap (you'll need to add 1M if you look at it today, not sure when they will update it on capfriendly, but that's the last number I heard from the league.) Do we need anything else?

Honest, final thing...a request for technical help. How do I add another poll within this thread? There will be a need, especially when/if y'all vote on a GM for me and if we ended up doing some sort of super council to resolve an issue that someone believes is absolutely unfair.

*Strangely one of Jimmy Buffett's few radio hits of the 70/80s. As a fan, I have literally dozens of songs I love by him more than this one. And no, Margaritaville is not one of them. I liked the song and all, but somewhere in the late 80s the dude turned into a lifestyle salesman and lost that bohemian beach vibe for more corporate culture approved, over-rated, expensive crap. He's become the reason he left Nasvhille all those years ago. Jerry Jeff Walker and his wife Susanna convinced him to vacation in Key West with them. When the Walker's went back home to Texas, Jimmy stayed and the rest is now history. Wish it had a better ending. Although he has had a few really solid songs on the last couple of albums. "Oldest Surfer on the Beach" has really hit a chord with me. His allure though was always escapism, much like reading the works of Stephen King, Robert Louis Stevensen, Louis L'Amour, and to a lesser extent Thomas Wolfe and James Joyce have been for me. It's nice to daydream. It recharges the brain.

After the playoffs between that and the draft might be a good time to start as well. Work is bit crazy, but I'm usually around later in the evening EST.

I mean the elimination games were fun. I don't remember when they started that type of stuff tbough. We're definitely aware of how to creatively entertain ourselves when the team sucks. Lots of experience at that until recently lol.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sorry I didn't respond earlier this week. Did y'all still want to go ahead with the three of us, cancel it, or just wait and bump the thread around the draft day and try to get more people then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad