Value of: Cap dump contracts from teams near the ceiling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Which teams have players they may need or want to move before the start of the season to be cap compliant?

I had a quick look on CW and the player that jumped out at me was 32 year old Brandon Tanev in Seattle. CW has them $1.54m over the cap with a full roster, and Tanev has one year left at $3.5m. But he already got a $1m bonus so the team that traded for him would only have to pay him $2.5m.

Tanev + a 2026 3rd for FC to CBJ would get the Jackets to the cap floor.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I feel like if CBJ acquires a player from Seattle, I think they'd want someone like Bjorkstrand back instead of Tanev. The original logic seems to fit though since Seattle seems to have an excess of RW.

Of the most cap space teams:
- CBJ probably wants roster players to attempt to compete now. They probably want players who can insulate their young players and spread the load/responsibilities, not players who aren't able to contribute. (~23MM cap space)

- Flames are in a situation where we'd probably only consider short term cap dumps or short term acquisitions to flip at the TDL. The only options we're probably looking at seems to be quantity for quality RFA players. There's an underlying theme that the team hopes to surprise this year or by next year. We aren't going for a perpetual retool. Flames are also probably leaning towards players who aren't afraid to shoot and are also good for puck retrieval, especially a young C to pair up with Huberdeau (ie: Bennett) but that's a tall order. It's rare to find such players.

- Ducks... I am not totally sure. They also seem like a team with a lot of young talent who could use some appropriately aged veterans to guide them along, but I'm not totally sure. Of the 3 teams they're the only one I feel more confident that they'd listen in on cap dump type proposals.

TBH, I think teams that are interested in cap dumps have dried up significantly. Very few teams with cap space seem to be in the position to attempt to take on those types of contracts at the moment. Those that are willing seem to be low on cap space.

Reactions: Viqsi and Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad