GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | Sept. 18th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm hoping Lekk makes the team out of camp because he would improve the power play. He is a right shot, with the left side being his spot on the powerplay at Orebro. Hughes would have a choice to dish to either Pettersson or Lekk, who can both rip one timers. If Lekk starts scoring, then the opposition PK will be forced to move away from Petey, giving him more time for his one timers. All this assuming Lekk would be put on the first unit, but imo he has a better shot than Boeser.

J.T. Miller on the left side is one of the premier PP dudes there is.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
A huge part of the PP ‘struggling’ is Pettersson being a complete nonfactor 75% of the time. Scared to shoot with confidence and hesitates so much he loses it every time. If Petey was a threat from that side, that opens up so much more and forces teams to defend us differently, but he didn’t have it last year.

And just keep Miller on the left wall cowards and force feed a left shot like DeBrusk in the bumper

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
J.T. Miller on the left side is one of the premier PP dudes there is.
Miller is a left shot, so he can't get the one timer away nearly as quickly as a right shot, and the right shot has a better shooting angle. I don't remember Miller taking too many one timers actually. There are a lot of goals scored off of one timers. Would like to see a stat on that actually.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Miller is a left shot, so he can't get the one timer away nearly as quickly as a right shot, and the right shot has a better shooting angle. I don't remember Miller taking too many one timers actually. There are a lot of goals scored off of one timers. Would like to see a stat on that actually.
Miller isn't a right flank guy. They have tried it and he doesn't seem to be much of a PP static one timer guy. He's NHL elite of elite off of the left wall. Why mess around?

Reactions: David71

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Petey on the PP needs to either rip the shot balls out as soon as it hits his stick or actually do some foot work to throw off where the next shot might come from.

This past season there were too many telegraphed shots/passes where the other team had no fear of the shit.

Reactions: David71

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
No snippets yet of who looked good with who or which duos/lines had chemistry or even had the most fun together? Which AHL guys look confident?

Any rooks dying in the corner out-of-breath?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
2 main problems: Miller can be really careless with the puck, Pettersson is an awkward skater and struggles to get himself into a position to shoot. Hughes also isn’t much a shooting threat but I don’t think that’s as important as the other two.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
A huge part of the PP ‘struggling’ is Pettersson being a complete nonfactor 75% of the time. Scared to shoot with confidence and hesitates so much he loses it every time. If Petey was a threat from that side, that opens up so much more and forces teams to defend us differently, but he didn’t have it last year.

And just keep Miller on the left wall cowards and force feed a left shot like DeBrusk in the bumper
My pp is struggling as well. :(

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No snippets yet of who looked good with who or which duos/lines had chemistry or even had the most fun together? Which AHL guys look confident?

Not yet, hasn't officially started yet.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

These are just short player-lead skates with one coach organizing drills. Not everyone is attendance. There’s nothing of value to glean from these sessions.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I'm hoping Lekk makes the team out of camp because he would improve the power play. He is a right shot, with the left side being his spot on the powerplay at Orebro. Hughes would have a choice to dish to either Pettersson or Lekk, who can both rip one timers. If Lekk starts scoring, then the opposition PK will be forced to move away from Petey, giving him more time for his one timers. All this assuming Lekk would be put on the first unit, but imo he has a better shot than Boeser.
Zero chance of that. Has to prove himself in the AHL first and he’s a long way from even doing that.

Reactions: MS and Grantham

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He had one of the best U20 seasons in Swedish hockey history, so I give him a pretty good chance to make the team from game 1.
I’d give Lekerimaki a 10-15% chance of making the team out of camp and that’s probably generous.

Reactions: Nick Lang

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I’d give Lekerimaki a 10-15% chance of making the team out of camp and that’s probably generous.
Hoglander made the transition from SHL directly to the NHL as a 20 year old (same age as Lekk), and had a pretty good rookie season. Lekkerimaki is way ahead of Hoglander as a 20 year old - as in Lekk was by far the best player on his team, and probly the best goal scorer in the SHL as a 19 year old - he scored 16.5% of the teams goals on a bad Orebro squad. By that metric, he was the best goal scorer in the league. One of the best U20 players of all time, so he has an excellent chance to make the team.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hoglander made the transition from SHL directly to the NHL as a 20 year old (same age as Lekk), and had a pretty good rookie season. Lekkerimaki is way ahead of Hoglander as a 20 year old - as in Lekk was by far the best player on his team, and probly the best goal scorer in the SHL as a 19 year old - he scored 16.5% of the teams goals on a bad Orebro squad. By that metric, he was the best goal scorer in the league. One of the best U20 players of all time, so he has an excellent chance to make the team.
That was a different Canucks team that lacked depth and needed to rush some prospects. That team was also not close to being a playoff team and could live with young players making mistakes while learning.
This years team depth and expectations are much different. Let him cook most of the year in the AHL as one of the top dogs. If he excels and shows he’s ready then bring him up late in the season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think he is going to start in the A even if he kills it in preseason. We have a lot of wingers, it’s probably not worth losing guys to waivers to squeeze Lekk in and playing in the A is probably good development anyways.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
undersized snipers are a fast ripening fruit and the canucks have cap challenges. if he can produce in camp or in the ahl i think he can knock the door down. his problem will be defence. he will get looks but he won't stick unless he plays it or unless the canucks have injury problems.

his fate will also be influenced by sprong's performance. if that experiment does not work out things open up a bit for offensive call ups to stay on the roster.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
undersized snipers are a fast ripening fruit and the canucks have cap challenges. if he can produce in camp or in the ahl i think he can knock the door down. his problem will be defence. he will get looks but he won't stick unless he plays it or unless the canucks have injury problems.

his fate will also be influenced by sprong's performance. if that experiment does not work out things open up a bit for offensive call ups to stay on the roster.
We have a different coaching staff though, so we'll have to see how willing Tocchet is to trust a rookie.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think I am going to purchase some tickets for my family and I for next weekends training camp in Penticton. Only 45 mins away and could be a nice afternoon to get a taste of what's ahead this year for the Canucks. I haven't been this excited for Canucks hockey for quite sometime. I love it.
Full report incoming. You're committed.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Last question while I have you here, Can Lekkerimaki be a player that get's 20-30 points on the powerplay eventually?

No idea. I haven't watched him much at all. So I can only got by what people have said here. Based on that alone, it sounds like a possibility. Won't be for at least a few years though.

Reactions: Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad