GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | DAY 01

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Not a great start with injuries, going to have to adjust my season forecasts.

Hopefully after the first few weeks everyone is back and feeling hundred percent, can roll all the way to another division title.
I'm picking Edmonton. They're said to be acutely aware of how disadvantagous they've been making it for themselves by never having home ice in the later rounds when it starts to statistically mean more. I gotta feeling they're gonna come out super hard all year and chase the Prezzy.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Raty still skating over from Finland. If he'd worked on it harder this offseason he'd be here already. :sarcasm:
I found out its his dad running his offseason training in conjunjunction with the local Liiga team.

And. Its... not... yeah. Frustrating.

Either Räty trains with a profesional trainer next summer or he is playing in europe in few years.

Reactions: Tables of Stats

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I found out its his dad running his offseason training in conjunjunction with the local Liiga team.

Either Räty trains with a profesional trainer next summer or he is playing in europe in few years.

i think he's in europe in a couple years either way. i dunno what people see in him as a prospect

Reactions: VanillaCoke

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I really don't get why anyone would want to trade Boeser. I get adding another dman but that's what picks and prospects are for. Brock has been rounding out his game and that and finally being healthy culminated into Brock assuming he continues this level of play a key piece of our core and let's not forget how clutch he was in the playoffs.
An extension likely only adds a couple of million on the cap.

I have high hopes for Lekks but our window is now and plucking a 40 goal scorer and replacing him with a 20 year old unproven winger, significantly downgrades our team while our window is wide open.

For me as much as I like Garland an ideal situation would be having Lekks make the team making him expendable and we move him for a 2nd and use that as part of a package to get Rasmus Anderson or even better weeger. The dream would be to do it pick heavy meaning we don't trade Willander but it's something I would maybe be ok with because adding a dman of that calibre without giving up a core piece would significantly strengthen us to the point assuming Demko gets past the injury that we would have to be considered a true cup contender.

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy- - Weeger/ Anderson
Deharnais/ Forbort - Myers.

Hogz - JT - Boeser
Lekks/Sprong- EP- Jake
Lekks/Sprong- Bleuger- DJ
Heinen - Suter- Sherwood.
Demko -Silovs.

That's one hell of a roster with some solid depth in Aman, Karlson, Raty and not one real glaring weakness that stacks up with any roster in the league, especially when you look at all the top teams and see they all have some pretty big Question marks
rather find a right handed centerman over aman, upgrade too

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The NHL is so terrified of the NFL and MLB playoffs that they shift their entire season 2-3 weeks ahead and then are left with a Finals in late June that nobody cares about anymore anyway.

The regular season should start on October 1. It should end on April 1. Playoffs should be finished by June 1. This is what 90% of fans want, but the league shoots itself in the foot on the pretext of TV ratings but then don't get TV ratings anyway because they've wrecked the timeline and product so badly.
shouldn't last years finals rating numbers whatever it was i think it was lower because everyone was enjoying their summer and didnt really care about hockey in late june.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

Someone get Raty Horvat's skating coach.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Yes.

Its not great. His injury was missmanaged.
Tendonitis does NOT heal with rest. Worst thing for tendonitis is rest (except tennis elbow). It heals with optimal load management and usually heavy and slow resistance training. It can persist for a very long time but not be as problematic depending on a multitude of confounding factors. He probably should've had down time from skating and focused on loading at the gym but plenty of elite athletes have managed playing their sport and loading optimally at the gym.

Tobi1Kenobi

May 26, 2024
Tendonitis does NOT heal with rest. Worst thing for tendonitis is rest (except tennis elbow). It heals with optimal load management and usually heavy and slow resistance training. It can persist for a very long time but not be as problematic depending on a multitude of confounding factors. He probably should've had down time from skating and focused on loading at the gym but plenty of elite athletes have managed playing their sport and loading optimally at the gym.
Yeah my ears perked up when he said he focused on cardio... The worst thing you could do is avoid it...

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I think this is a bit dishonest to say right now.

He has his warts particularly his skating but he does have a blend of size, skill, playmaking ability, and a 200ft game which has been evident.

i think fans of raty put a lot of weight on what i think are very modest ahl numbers. with his skating he needs to be putting up elite production in the ahl to have any hope at the nhl and he's just not

Reactions: Hodgy

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Demko has to manage some inoperable leg injury and Pettersson is managing his tendonitis, lovely.
Demko addressing the media is a concern as that does suggest he could be out long term.

Pettersson...unfortunately with patella tendonitis it is all about managing it. Patella straps, braces, NSAIDs, lots of ice etc.

Not at all. It kind of just lingers and is annoying. There’s no risk of damage and just becomes pain management and figuring out if there are stretches that strengthen the area or related motions that can be avoided that stress it.
There can be risk long term to developing tendinopathy but the treatment is the same. Balancing out the muscles, specific exercises etc. Ideally you want to avoid the exercises that cause the pain/issue but given that will be skating in this case it is impossible to avoid. So it's learning to live with it and taking care of it after games/practice and on off days. And getting used to the sudden flash of pain that can happen that wants to stop you dead in your tracks. That's the hardest part to get over.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm picking Edmonton. They're said to be acutely aware of how disadvantagous they've been making it for themselves by never having home ice in the later rounds when it starts to statistically mean more. I gotta feeling they're gonna come out super hard all year and chase the Prezzy.
Disagree with the media hype there tbh I don't see a n improved roster.

Reactions: Peen

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Disagree with the media hype there tbh I don't see a n improved roster.

They have an incredible foward group on paper along with a decent top 4 D group. Razor thin depth though and it will be problematic if injuries occur.

They have the forward group to outscore their issues...but they could very well faceplant like the 2003-04 Avs did.

Reactions: Grantham

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think fans of raty put a lot of weight on what i think are very modest ahl numbers. with his skating he needs to be putting up elite production in the ahl to have any hope at the nhl and he's just not

Anyone thinking he has top-6 potential, yes, but he's a big, responsible, high-IQ, low-event body with C utility who is probably going to stick somewhere in some sort of bottom-6 role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad