Post-Game Talk: Canucks shutout against the Kings: We need a third line centre

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
Watching that brought me back to my childhood, When I would watch this video 5 times a day..
Ahh memories.

ok what did I do wrong? Why won't it play?

For the youtube url, just paste the junk after the = sign :)

Edit: Also you had added url tags inside the youtube tags :)

Wetcoaster

Watching that brought me back to my childhood, When I would watch this video 5 times a day..
Ahh memories.

ok what did I do wrong? Why won't it play?
Do not use the whole link just the identifier after "v=" and put that ("qzDa2hX5w3Y") in the YouTube code.

Thus:

Click on the quote to see it in my post.

Wetcoaster

Hear what Sestito has to say himself.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
The star (?!?) of last night's game in LA joins @TEAM1040 in 10 minutes. Listen to Sestito live.

http://www.teamradio.ca/

Wetcoaster

From last night - some advanced stat love:

canuckskingsfenwick.png

Yes, it looks as confusing as all get-up…but it tells a story. “Fenwick†(yes it could use a better name) is the total shot attempts made by a team, minus blocked shots. Why no blocked shots? Basically, research has shown that Fenwick is a better predictor of future goal scoring potential than its brother, “Corsi.â€

Anyway, enough about that. What we see in this chart, available at the excellent extraskater.com, is that the Canucks played a very close game with the Kings, dominating at points.

Of course the Kings goal, early in the third, changed the dynamic of the game. The early surge ahead by the Canucks after the goal is how leads work in all sports: the trailing team almost always gets more chances than their opponents.

So, at even strength, the Canucks had 53.8% of the total Fenwick events in the game. At 5-on-5, it was a 50-50 split.​
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/0...y-good/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Beyond that though, the Canucks also crushed the Kings power play. It's incredible the Kings only ended up with 20 shots in a game where they had over 10 minutes of PP time in the first period alone.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Most definitely a slew-foot. Not even debatable.

Phhttt Weise was just off balance from the illegal pick hit by Doughty, the leg contact purely accidental in the Dustin Brown sense of accidental.

Here is former referee Paul Stewart analyzing the play and also explaining the Sestito penalties for the Nolan fight.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/Slew-Footing-Match-Penalties-and-Aggressors/196/57183

so where was Paul when these happened

5 min fighting major for Kaleta

5 min fighting major for Holtby

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
It was very interesting to see how physical the Sedins played after someone finally stuck up for them. The rest of the team responded very well too, Hansen was mixing it up, Kesler tuned up Brown and everyone was sticking up for each other

Wetcoaster

It was very interesting to see how physical the Sedins played after someone finally stuck up for them. The rest of the team responded very well too, Hansen was mixing it up, Kesler tuned up Brown and everyone was sticking up for each other
With the PK Number 1 and the PP not so good, the strategies have to change.

In the days of a high-flying PP under AV you turn the other cheek and make them pay on the scoreboard. That was clearly stated by GMMG and AV.

If you are not scoring on the PP (and/or you are not getting the calls) then you take a different approach. Adding players like Kassian, Weise and Sestito allow the Canucks to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I can't believe so many people complaining about this game. One of the best games I have ever seen the canucks play during a regular season.

The chicken littles crying "Ohhh we can never beat the big bad kings" need to screw their head on straight. After taking a ridiculous amount of penalties, we lost by 1 goal. We could easily have won that game, and we played better than the kings.

This is the first time I've ever seen our team stand up for the Sedins so well. A big part of the reason our offense is dipping is because teams believe they can take liberties with the sedins and get away with it - running them all day long while the refs sit by and smile.

Dustin Brown thinks "meh I'll just injure their goalie, not like this team ever sticks up for its stars any way" He might think twice before he decides to take out one of our stars next time - he knows there will be a price to pay now.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
To me it was more of a message to the officials than the Kings. If I'm Nolan, I take that trade every day. Try to injury a Sedin, if successful or not I still only have to take a couple of shots while wearing my helmet, and get a powerplay to boot. I look at it as telling the referees that we turned the other cheek when we got powerplays, and could score on them. If you want to put your whistles in your pocket and let teams get away with whatever they want to the Sedins, Luongo, whoever, we'll settle the score ourselves.

Referees won't look good when they constantly let games get out of hand because of blown calls. If the Canucks can keep up play like this, and just taking any penalty you get and trying to kill it, the referees will have to start making calls when other teams play dirty and in turn, that will send the message to the other team.

Wetcoaster

Kevin Bieksa took a puck to the noggin but also took Kings Dman Matt Greene out of the line-up.

And Juice did not even have to use his flying Superman punch.

Monday night's nasty fight-filled game against the Vancouver Canucks took its toll on the Kings after all, with defenseman Matt Greene going out of the lineup with an undisclosed upper body injury.

Greene will not be accompanying the team on its upcoming four-game trip that begins Thursday in St. Louis against the high-flying Blues, according to Kings GM Dean Lombardi.

He was injured in the second period of a game that produced 109 penalty minutes during a fight with Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa. The two tangled after Bieksa took a shot at Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick during a Vancouver power play. Greene took exception to the contact, instigated a fight and eventually body-slammed Bieksa to the ice.

Greene received a total of 17 minutes in penalties on the play, but did not return to the bench when he was eligible to return in the third period.​
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...greene-20140114,0,6204189.story#ixzz2qQKVIek8

Castle1*

I feel really bad that Bieksa took Greene out.

I mean, its not like Brown knocked the Canadian Olympic Teams starting goalie out a couple weeks ago with a dirty play. Brown disgusts me.

I probably wound't hate him so much if her were on the Canucks. I would never, ever, ever want to hear him in an interview though.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
Kevin Bieksa took a puck to the noggin but also took Kings Dman Matt Greene out of the line-up.

And Juice did not even have to use his flying Superman punch.

Monday night's nasty fight-filled game against the Vancouver Canucks took its toll on the Kings after all, with defenseman Matt Greene going out of the lineup with an undisclosed upper body injury.

Greene will not be accompanying the team on its upcoming four-game trip that begins Thursday in St. Louis against the high-flying Blues, according to Kings GM Dean Lombardi.

He was injured in the second period of a game that produced 109 penalty minutes during a fight with Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa. The two tangled after Bieksa took a shot at Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick during a Vancouver power play. Greene took exception to the contact, instigated a fight and eventually body-slammed Bieksa to the ice.

Greene received a total of 17 minutes in penalties on the play, but did not return to the bench when he was eligible to return in the third period.​
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...greene-20140114,0,6204189.story#ixzz2qQKVIek8

Serves him right for that takedown, dirty move.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I will say the one thing I did like and hope the team noticed was simply how often the kings made bad plays and coughed up the puck when we went for a hit.

That has been the story with the kings on the opposite end especially against us, they hit us constantly and we have trouble making plays and passes, whenever we would have the puck someone would come flying in for a hit and we couldnt make a good pass. Its a simple formula but when we were doing it last night to the kings they were making bad passes themselves.

But it takes great work ethic to play that style, alot of energy used.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I'm curious as to why everyone is getting on the Sedin's case while ignoring Kesler's lack of offense. He is supposed to be the engine for secondary scoring on the canucks and while he hasn't been terrible he hasn't been good either. In the last 15 games he has 6 points. He has been decent to excellent defensively but has not been creating any offense. If people want to point at the main offensive issue with the canucks I would argue Kesler is not pulling his weight. Right now the Canucks are a one line team. Blaming the only offensive line for not scoring every night is putting the onus on the wrong target.

Castle1*

I'm curious as to why everyone is getting on the Sedin's case while ignoring Kesler's lack of offense. He is supposed to be the engine for secondary scoring on the canucks and while he hasn't been terrible he hasn't been good either. In the last 15 games he has 6 points. He has been decent to excellent defensively but has not been creating any offense. If people want to point at the main offensive issue with the canucks I would argue Kesler is not pulling his weight. Right now the Canucks are a one line team. Blaming the only offensive line for not scoring every night is putting the onus on the wrong target.

I disagree with the bolded. Its not either/or.

Both the Sedins and Kesler need to produce more. So does the supporting cast. The individual stats on this team are not stellar at the moment.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think its pretty awesome that Bieksa was able to do that damage with a punch while laying on his back, shows what a skilled fighter he is.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I will say the one thing I did like and hope the team noticed was simply how often the kings made bad plays and coughed up the puck when we went for a hit.

That has been the story with the kings on the opposite end especially against us, they hit us constantly and we have trouble making plays and passes, whenever we would have the puck someone would come flying in for a hit and we couldnt make a good pass. Its a simple formula but when we were doing it last night to the kings they were making bad passes themselves.

But it takes great work ethic to play that style, alot of energy used.

Power of hate.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It's also not even a slew foot. A slew foot is when you trip a player over your foot and use the momentum to push the player backwards. It's dangerous because you're applying additional downwards force and driving the player into the ice, which increases the risk of injury.

The play by Weise was just a cheap trip. It was cheap -- no disputing that -- but it wasn't a slew foot. If it was an actual slew foot I would have supported Weise getting a suspension.

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

Nope you do not need to push back on the upper body. The league may have seen Wiese foot as a "normal" motion a not an intentional kicking of the skate.

The problem is as we have seen with Upshall on Tanev and even with Thornton on Orpik the league does very little when it comes to the slewfoot.

Maybe they are so focussed on headshots that these plays are taking a back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad