Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jack Rathbone (Apr 16)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Drance reported that something changed last night and the deal almost entirely came together today.

So at the time, Cam was probably correct. What changed? Who knows.
What can change in 24-48 hours really?

1) Ivy League not playing games for rest of 2020.
2) Ivy League unknown when or if games will be played in 2021
3) AHL unknown when their season begins as they need fans unless the NhL clubs are helping to foot salaries.
4) NHL will try to play games beginning in January next season.

none of that changed.

Really just a matter or risk for Jack. If he returns to school unknown when he next plays competitive hockey. Could be 9 months or 18 depending on the Ivy League. Pro leagues will do whatever they can to play next season. At his age and with 61 NCAA games under his belt if he doesn’t play until next September does that bode well for his future. That’s ultimately the decision He had to make.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Awesome! Credit to Covid and Benning for getting this done, lol.

I'm not sold on him making an immediate impact like some others posters are, but I like the potential. Curious to see where his game is at, and what happens with him next season.

Reactions: mossey3535

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Seems like a loyal and good kid. Didn't expect him to jump ship, but I am surprised he wouldn't finish out his schooling. Even with the pandemic delaying NCAA season it felt like he always put finishing his Harvard degree first

Super happy with this though, another incredible skater to add to our left side, and it will be great for him to start practicing with an NHL team and NHL coaches

I didn't think the Harvard degree was all that important to him after hearing a couple of his interviews. In the one last week he basically said "all I want to do is be a hockey player." And for now, at least, the appealing social and lifestyle aspect of being a Harvard student--the closeness of your House community--has been cancelled by the virus. Also, who knows what's going to happen with Harvard hockey going forward? The team and the House are out, and all that remains is a crapload of Zoom sessions, reading, and term paper writing in your old bedroom at home. Basically, the fun part has gone with the wind (and the droplets therein).

Does anybody know what happens next with Rathbone, now that he's signed?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Let's go

He clearly values his relationship with Chris and Ryan more than with Judd...
Sorry but I can’t help myself remembering the “Brackett and Rathbone has tight relationship” conspiracy theory

It's not a conspiracy theory considering he said it himself. Do you want a link or are you going to propagate this stuff?

In the end, clearly the relationship he built with the ENTIRE organization was strong and the organization as a whole should be commended for it.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
July 14th, 2020 -- the first time in history a small, skilled college RHD signed with a team that already had a small, young, skilled RHD, because no player in that situation would be crazy enough to do that. Apparently. Except when Fox signed with the Rangers despite DeAngelo having led the D in scoring. Which was ... uh ... last offseason.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Let's go

It's not a conspiracy theory considering he said it himself. Do you want a link or are you going to propagate this stuff?

In the end, clearly the relationship he built with the ENTIRE organization was strong and the organization as a whole should be commended for it.
The theory was that Brackett leaving would be the needle that push Rathbone out...

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
July 14th, 2020 -- the first time in history a small, skilled college RHD signed with a team that already had a small, young, skilled RHD, because no player in that situation would be crazy enough to do that. Apparently. Except when Fox signed with the Rangers despite DeAngelo having led the D in scoring. Which was ... uh ... last offseason.

Because it is a well known fact that Vancouver = New York. Definitely comparing apples to apples? Or did you not know this? Or were you being intentionally stupid?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The theory was that Brackett leaving would be the needle that push Rathbone out...
Logically, how does a head of amateur scouting help to get you onto an NHL roster? Was Brackett going to convince Green to give him a roster spot?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Because it is a well known fact that Vancouver = New York. Definitely comparing apples to apples? Or did you not know this? Or were you being intentionally stupid?
Various posters suggested Rathbone was unlikely to sign here (or hedged their bets by saying "I wouldn't if I was him") due to the presence of a similar defenceman in Hughes without actually citing any precedent. I'm reasonably sure you read the same posts I did.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone and his agent are making the right decision. If it hadn't been for this Pandemic and the outright cancellation of most NCAA sports programs, I have no doubt he'd have returned to Harvard for this third season.

But I'm sure the prospect of going an entire year without playing hockey weighed on him. If you're serious about a pro hockey career, that's just not an option.

The question now is where he fits in.....would love to see him in a depth role until he gets his feet wet in the NHL. One thing's for certain. Canucks now have two d-men who can give opponents fits by generating shots and scoring chances from the back end. And if Raffery pans out, then it's three.

Not too many, if any teams in the NHL can boast of that!

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

That was a ridiculous theory. Rathbone said he knew Brackett "as a local guy" who had coached him in a few tournaments. The hair-on-fire crowd took that as an indication Brackett was a close family friend.

The much better theory was that Rathbone would choose to prioritize family/scholastics over hockey, but his recent interview left no doubt he wanted to play in the NHL and he obviously felt comfortable enough with his brother's situation to sign with Vancouver.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Was expecting this signing all along, but great news nonetheless to finalize it.

Next up, Jack Rathbone outplays Bowen Byram next season.

Now go out and sign a Dylan DeMelo to partner with him on the bottom pair. Might be wise to use Tryamkin as a sweetener to move another contract.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

He clearly values his relationship with Chris and Ryan more than with Judd...
Sorry but I can’t help myself remembering the “Brackett and Rathbone has tight relationship” conspiracy theory

I love how one posters says “that’s not great brackett left for signing rathbone” has now turned into “conspiracy theory”.

Oh internet

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Thank god. Hopefully a fixture in the top 4 for years to come. With Hughes and Boner on the left side we should be looking for good, young, 2 way, right side Dmen to help fill out our core.

Reactions: cobrakaineverdies

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Pleasantly surprised by this. Did not think he would sign, even with the NCAA season issues. Have to give credit to this management group and their reportedly low pressure approach to the American college players, even if we stop drafting well in this regard due to Brackett's departure lol.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Various posters suggested Rathbone was unlikely to sign here (or hedged their bets by saying "I wouldn't if I was him") due to the presence of a similar defenceman in Hughes without actually citing any precedent. I'm reasonably sure you read the same posts I did.

And how does this explain your blatantly absurd New York comparison?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I think we need a Carlo type to balance things out a bit.

Desperately.

If you think Rathbone is the real deal, and with Edler looking like he has another 2-3 good years in him, at least, it looks like the left side could be set for years to come.

The organizational strength is good at every position, save right defense. Management is in a great position now to address the last area of weakness.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I love how one posters says “that’s not great brackett left for signing rathbone” has now turned into “conspiracy theory”.

Oh internet

Yeah pretty ridiculous, we went from:

>Brackett coached Rathbone when he was younger, I'm worried that firing Brackett might have an impact on Rathbone's decision to sign here?

>BRACKETT NEVER COACHED RATHBONE. SOURCE?! LOL IDIOT

>Provides quote from Rathbone confirming that he was coached by Brackett.

>...

>LOL @ the conspiracy theory of Brackett and Rathbone having a tight relationship.

-

Moronic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad