Proposal: Canucks re-tool

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
If the Canucks wanted to blow it up and change the voices in the locker room here would be my idea:

To CBJ:
Bo Horvat (50% retained)
Brock Boeser

To VAN:
Kent Johnson
Jack Roslovic
Max Domi
2022 1st round pick (whichever is lower of the 2 CBJ has)
2023 2nd round pick

Why CBJ does this:
Columbus adds 2/3rds of a 1st line without removing anyone off their roster today (Domi has been injured for all but 4 games). According to capfriendly, CBJ currently sits at 56M used (not including Laine/Bemstrom/Kukan). Adding those 3 in and removing their cheapest 3 contracts puts them at just below 64M. This trade would put them at about 70M.

Laine Horvat Boeser
Chinakov Sillinger Voracek
Nyqvist Jenner Bjorkstrand
Texier Kuraly Bemstrom

All whilst still having over 11M in cap space. This team could rival TB for most stacked lineup in the NHL. Best part is Boeser and Horvat are young enough to match this Columbus core. Hefty price to pay but may be worth it

Why VAN does this:
They get a local product whom could be a great playmaking 1st line winger in the NHL. Canucks haven't really had a playmaker in who knows how long. Roslovic and Domi are decent pieces that could be stopgaps if they dont fit the roster. Each could be traded down the road for a mid round pick if needed.

To NYR:
JT Miller (50% retained)
Tyler Motte

To VAN:
Julien Gauthier
Braeden Schneider
2022 2nd round pick
2023 1st round pick

Why NYR does this:
They are absolutely loaded on the back end. Schneider is not displacing Trouba or Fox for a top 4 role anywhere in the next 5 years so they are better using him as a trade chip to compete now. Given NYR is currently 2nd in the NHL, looks like their rebuild is complete. JT Miller at 2.625M for 1.5 years to complete their top 6 may be well worth the price. Tyler Motte is an elite 4th liner thats a huge upgrade on Hunt.

Why VAN does this:
If Schneider keeps developing, he could be the perfect partner to Hughes long term. Adding extra picks to quickly rebuild doesnt hurt either. Gauthier is a warm body whom likely isn't a NHLer but may have some untapped potential.

To DAL:
Tyler Myers
Jason Dickinson (1M retained)

To VAN:
Jamie Benn (3.5M retained)
Jani Haakanpa

Why DAL does this:
They get out from the Jamie Benn contract. Sure with the RET, it equates to the same cap hit as Myers, however the extra year is what matters. Right now Benn is their 3C. Something Dickinson has done for them in the past and they were happy with. Haakanpa needed to be added to create room for Myers.

Why VAN does this:
Whilst Benn has publicly stated he doesn't want to come home, maybe knowing he's on the decline and out of the top 6 in Dallas changes his mind. This completes a culture change for the Canucks and a veteran hometown leader to be THE voice in the locker room. Taking on the extra year at 6M hurts, but for a 3C it isn't the worst allocation of cap. Ret on Dickinson is due to the fact the Stars don't have the cap for this trade otherwise

Pettersson Domi Garland
Hoglander Benn Podkolzin
Pearson Roslovic Gauthier
Highmore Sutter Bailey
Lammiko

Hughes Hamonic
OEL Poolman
Hunt Haakanpa
Schenn Burroughs

Long term outlook isn't too bad cap wise. 4.5M left over this season after the bonuses. Makes it more
palatable for the RETs since overall the team saves $$ this season.
Only Roslovic to re-sign that may get a raise after this season. Hoglander after the next when 2.4M from buyouts + Hamonic come off the books.

Would love to dump some of our vets, but sadly dont think thats possible.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Blue Jackets would definitely say no. Normally I’d argue that futures are heavily overrated on this site, but even with that sentiment in mind there is no way Columbus off loads so many assets for 2 non elite top 6 forwards.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's creative, and deserves some consideration, but ultimately I think that's going to be a "no" from the Jackets. Boeser and Horvat are of the right age, yes, but they're not of the right contract status. Both of them are going to need extensions ASAP (Boeser after this year, Horvat after next) that will result in potentially significant raises (alongside that of Boqvist), so the happy cap situation being described is not going to last at all - sure, Nyquist's contract comes off the books, but that was going to help us pay to keep guys like Chinakov and Texier and Gavrikov and Peeke. And Boeser's perpetual injury problems have me a teensy bit worried.

So in some ways this ends up being a "go for it almost immediately" type move, and I'm not sure if our blueline is ready for that yet.

Also, your premise is slightly faulty - Roz is on the roster right now. ;)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
It's creative, and deserves some consideration, but ultimately I think that's going to be a "no" from the Jackets. Boeser and Horvat are of the right age, yes, but they're not of the right contract status. Both of them are going to need extensions ASAP (Boeser after this year, Horvat after next) that will result in potentially significant raises (alongside that of Boqvist), so the happy cap situation being described is not going to last at all - sure, Nyquist's contract comes off the books, but that was going to help us pay to keep guys like Chinakov and Texier and Gavrikov and Peeke. And Boeser's perpetual injury problems have me a teensy bit worried.

So in some ways this ends up being a "go for it almost immediately" type move, and I'm not sure if our blueline is ready for that yet.

Also, your premise is slightly faulty - Roz is on the roster right now. ;)
Right sorry only roster piece coming out is roslovic, whom hasn’t produced in favourable ice time.

i don’t think y’all would have any issues re-signing boeser and horvat whilst keeping that team in tact. With the roster for this season and next I would trade off Robinson and other bottom 6 depth thats not listed in the lineup for any picks you could get since they are no longer needed.

boeser would require max 2M raise. That’s being generous. That leaves 9+M to give Laine a raise if he requires one (let’s say 1.5M), stenlund (maybe 250k?), Bemstrom (600k), Harrington (400k), boqvist (1.5M?), kukan (350k). They could then bring back Korpisalo whom I think maybe takes a pay cut given his numbers.

so they could run back this roster with still 5.5M in cap space roughly. Projections right now is the cap rises 1M so it would actually be 6.5M.

The following year is when issues may arise. Nyqvist’s 5.5M prob goes to horvat. That leaves just over 6.5M maybe another 1M cap jump to cover raises for chinakov, texier, gavrikov, and peeke. I mean probably still doable, but if not, does the 4th line really need to consist of 3 guys making upwards of 6M? The team could trade out some guys that were pushed down the lineup they no longer need to free up some cap space if it’s necessary.

this trade is something that would push the window to compete to become immediate, taking advantage of the elcs. However the window would still keep going for past the next 2 years as players develop, it’s just thinking out that 4th line which shouldn’t be an issue if the rest of the lineup keeps developing

Didn’t realize werenski has a 4.5M raise kicking in next season. So after next season may be an issue. That’s when you may have to thin out that bottom 6.

Even then after year 2 you have:

Laine (9M?) Horvat (8.25M?) Boeser (7.85M?)
Chinakov (3M?) Sillinger (925k) Voracek (8.25M)
Texier (2.5M?) Jenner (3.75M) Bjorkstrand (5.4M)
Plug (750k) Foudy (950K?) plug (800K)
Depth (800K)

Werenski (9.583M) Bean (2.333M)
Gravikov (4M?) Boqvist (2.5M?)
Plug (8ooK) Peeke (2.25M?)
Depth x2 (800K each)

Merzlikins (5.4M)
Korpisalo (2.5M?)

That puts you roughly at 83.2M. If the cap is 83.5M the projections have it to be, you're now set. After year 2 you've also re-couped some minor assets by trading Robinson in year 1, Bemstrom + Kuraly after year 2.

Its definitely doable though. This roster would be locked in for another 2-3 years making it a 5 year window starting this season. From there you could re-tool if it doesnt work by trading Horvat

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Right sorry only roster piece coming out is roslovic, whom hasn’t produced in favourable ice time.

i don’t think y’all would have any issues re-signing boeser and horvat whilst keeping that team in tact. With the roster for this season and next I would trade off Robinson and other bottom 6 depth thats not listed in the lineup for any picks you could get since they are no longer needed.

boeser would require max 2M raise. That’s being generous. That leaves 9+M to give Laine a raise if he requires one (let’s say 1.5M), stenlund (maybe 250k?), Bemstrom (600k), Harrington (400k), boqvist (1.5M?), kukan (350k). They could then bring back Korpisalo whom I think maybe takes a pay cut given his numbers.

so they could run back this roster with still 5.5M in cap space roughly. Projections right now is the cap rises 1M so it would actually be 6.5M.

The following year is when issues may arise. Nyqvist’s 5.5M prob goes to horvat. That leaves just over 6.5M maybe another 1M cap jump to cover raises for chinakov, texier, gavrikov, and peeke. I mean probably still doable, but if not, does the 4th line really need to consist of 3 guys making upwards of 6M? The team could trade out some guys that were pushed down the lineup they no longer need to free up some cap space if it’s necessary.

this trade is something that would push the window to compete to become immediate, taking advantage of the elcs. However the window would still keep going for past the next 2 years as players develop, it’s just thinking out that 4th line which shouldn’t be an issue if the rest of the lineup keeps developing

Didn’t realize werenski has a 4.5M raise kicking in next season. So after next season may be an issue. That’s when you may have to thin out that bottom 6.

Even then after year 2 you have:

Laine (9M?) Horvat (8.25M?) Boeser (7.85M?)
Chinakov (3M?) Sillinger (925k) Voracek (8.25M)
Texier (2.5M?) Jenner (3.75M) Bjorkstrand (5.4M)
Plug (750k) Foudy (950K?) plug (800K)
Depth (800K)

Werenski (9.583M) Bean (2.333M)
Gravikov (4M?) Boqvist (2.5M?)
Plug (8ooK) Peeke (2.25M?)
Depth x2 (800K each)

Merzlikins (5.4M)
Korpisalo (2.5M?)

That puts you roughly at 83.2M. If the cap is 83.5M the projections have it to be, you're now set. After year 2 you've also re-couped some minor assets by trading Robinson in year 1, Bemstrom + Kuraly after year 2.

Its definitely doable though. This roster would be locked in for another 2-3 years making it a 5 year window starting this season. From there you could re-tool if it doesnt work by trading Horvat
We just signed Kuraly and extended Robinson, tho, and those two along with Tex have been one of our more effective lines. And there's a definite chance Boqvist and Foudy may ask for more than that. So if anything at all goes wrong with cap planning we're kind of screwed and just gave up our best prospect. We are more likely to call up Tarasov as backup and trade Korpisalo, but that doesn't give enough wiggle room. On the blueline, in particular, we'd have to be basically praying one of Svozil or Knazko is ready ASAP - and then THEY would be the cap nightmares for the year after, alongside having to find an extension or (more likely) replacement for Voracek (which is what KJ's expected role is at this point), AND Bean if he keeps up his current work is going to get one hell of a raise then too...

I mean, if I was confident that Horvat and Boeser were the difference between the current team and a Cup run or two, I'd be all for it. But I'm not quite there yet. Keep in mind that, even with us being on a hypothetical 100-101 point pace right now, we're still sixth in the division and thus not in a playoff spot! Seriously. f***in' Metro, yo...

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
We just signed Kuraly and extended Robinson, tho, and those two along with Tex have been one of our more effective lines. And there's a definite chance Boqvist and Foudy may ask for more than that. So if anything at all goes wrong with cap planning we're kind of screwed and just gave up our best prospect. We are more likely to call up Tarasov as backup and trade Korpisalo, but that doesn't give enough wiggle room. On the blueline, in particular, we'd have to be basically praying one of Svozil or Knazko is ready ASAP - and then THEY would be the cap nightmares for the year after, alongside having to find an extension or (more likely) replacement for Voracek (which is what KJ's expected role is at this point), AND Bean if he keeps up his current work is going to get one hell of a raise then too...

I mean, if I was confident that Horvat and Boeser were the difference between the current team and a Cup run or two, I'd be all for it. But I'm not quite there yet. Keep in mind that, even with us being on a hypothetical 100-101 point pace right now, we're still sixth in the division and thus not in a playoff spot! Seriously. f***in' Metro, yo...

I get y’all just signed kuraly but there’s nothing wrong with moving on from him if he becomes a cap casualty 2 years into his 4. If the optics of moving Robinson are bad for this season, you could just move bemstrom this season and then Robinson after the next so at least you kept him for 1 year of the extension.

i disagree with foudy being able to ask for more than a 1 way 950k contract. He’s an injury call up for this season and next with all that depth. If this were to happen I’d see him signing a 2 year 800k 1 way deal if I were going by what I expect. I went a little higher as I tried to for all players to show max cost. Young players in his scenario generally take pay cuts for 1-2 years to secure 1 way contracts. Players do this since they are guaranteed nhl salaries in the ahl, teams do it so they get a cheaper cap hit for someone they have plans to eventually have in the lineup.

Boqvist idk if he deserves more on a 4 year bridge. Haven’t watched him play but scouting report is he’s an ofd yet in 6 games has 1 point this season. Doesn’t seem like he’s in line to be paid like a bonefide top 4D unless there’s huge improvement. Seems like he’s a 1.5M D currently that you pay extra due to potential to lock up for a few years extra since he’s young.

That 23-34 lineup barely has any holes. Just the 4th line and #6 dman. Even if none of your prospects turn out and foudy doesn’t develop past being a 4th line player, that lineup I suggested is still pretty damn good especially considering the extra time and experience and development that the young guys would have gotten over the last 2 seasons.

I get it though. Columbus has shown signs of being a playoff team but not a contender. Making this trade is risky given how strong the metro division and overall the eastern conference is. While Columbus isn’t in a playoff spot if you look at nhl standings today, that’s with detroit having played an extra 5 games and having 2 more points. This lineup definitely competes with the best of the best of the east but it’s definitely a tough conference to win

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get it though. Columbus has shown signs of being a playoff team but not a contender. Making this trade is risky given how strong the metro division and overall the eastern conference is. While Columbus isn’t in a playoff spot if you look at nhl standings today, that’s with detroit having played an extra 5 games and having 2 more points.
Detroit isn't the team in the way; it's Philadelphia and New Jersey. There's only the two wildcard spots. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad