Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
Forsling contract is only $1 mill in salary each season. So, he's basically getting $4.75 mill in SB each year, thus that would be considered earned in the state of FLA. As would half his base salary.
The way the salary cap is structured is just insane. The teams in no-state-income-tax states have such a ludicrous advantage that they basically just dominate the league because they can sign way more players for the same cap because of tax savings.

It's a killjoy following your team and watching every off season they have to let a player go because they can't fit everyone under the cap, while this set of teams signs massively team friendly deals and stay stacked for long periods of time.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I guess that's a pretty fair deal. I don't love it or hate it. A sight better than when Seravalli was insisting Hronek would get 8 lol.

Hughes has his partner for the next 8 seasons it seems. Important player to keep happy in Vancouver after the revolving door of players he's had playing with him.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Seravelli wasn’t really wrong, by the way. Hronek actually got a bit more with the 8th year then he would have gotten going to market. $58M in total contract vs $56M at 7x$8M AAV. Only reason this doesn’t start with an 8 is the extra year other teams couldn’t offer.

Hronek is not a pending UFA. Any team could have given him 8 years. Similar to the Tkachuk situation.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No complaints from me...Prime age top 4 RHD..Seems right on the market value.

He did have a bit of a disappointing playoff, I expected more..He wasn't the only one..I have been an advocate of re-signing Dakota Joshua, he too had a sub par playoff..We'll see where that goes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Well yes but Seravelli was citing arbitration. He would have likely got $8M AAV on a shorter term deal if this was the rate.

His arbitration was for one season and only one season. There was no way for it to be longer through arbitration.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
This is decent value for what Hronek has done the last two years.

The hope has to be that Game 1-41 Hronek becomes full time Hronek next year, which would make this a massive steal.

Reactions: BimJenning

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I'm very happy with the signing. If he can improve his conditioning to maintain his first half performance there is considerable upside there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hronek is not a pending UFA. Any team could have given him 8 years. Similar to the Tkachuk situation.
Tkachuk was a sign and trade basically. Officially it was Calgary who signed him then traded him to Fla . Just like win signed PLD and dealt him to LA to get that 8th year. By rule the team holding your rights after the tdl is the only club that can offer you an 8 year term.

You can see that on capfriendly.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This is the boring answer, but he's not as good as he was during the first half of last season(he 100% had a PDO bump) and not as bad as he was during the 2nd half of the season when he naturally regressed from the PDO high and got banged up.

I think he's more of a 2nd pairing caliber player, but clearly he has chemistry with Hughes and Hughes loves playing with him. It's going to be difficult for this contract to look bad as long he's playing next to Hughes.

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
just going on record to say i hate this deal

too much term and too much money for a guy who has two decent half seasons in six years in the league. would have rather have spent it on theodore next season

i hope someone is able to rub my face in this post in the future but this is the worst transaction of the rutherford/allvin era so far imo
There’s some risk to this contract, for sure. I also would’ve rather given this kind of bank to someone more proven.

But our front office doesn’t have a lot of options. Being tight up against cap issues limits what they can do. Also, the fact that they’re pressured to prevent a back-slide means they had to pay up a bit here. That and keeping Hughes happy.

I’m lukewarm on this deal. I don’t think you can easily trade Hronek for value at $7.25m per, but I suppose this is a case where his value to the team is greater than value on the open market.

My real issue is that this is the first deal done in this crucial off-season, and it sets a precedent of “paying high” (I don’t think $8M was ever a consideration - agree with @MS that the real range was something like 6.75-7.25).

Again, not sure Allvin and Co had much choice, but yeah. Good luck in getting any low-ball contracts from here.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Jeff Paterson once again asking about the Hronek injury. Allvin dodges the question about the injury but does mention they can get more from Hronek offensively. Whether that's him staying with Hughes or driving his own pair.

Reactions: David71

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The key will be if he can stay healthy, and that injuries don't pile up. He clearly played through something that limited his effectiveness, but that is back to back seasons with injuries.

If he can stay relatively healthy, this will be a good deal. Prime-aged RHD, can log big minutes, moves the puck well, and has a big point shot. With the other high-end pieces in place, and a move to bring in a winger for EP, we're going to be a playoff team for years to come.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
just going on record to say i hate this deal

too much term and too much money for a guy who has two decent half seasons in six years in the league. would have rather have spent it on theodore next season

i hope someone is able to rub my face in this post in the future but this is the worst transaction of the rutherford/allvin era so far imo

They didn’t really have a choice, he had them over a barrel so they paid him like he was basically already a UFA. I don’t love the term, as I think they capitulated on maybe 1 year and around $2M-$4M in total contract value to get it over the line, but it is what it is. They had to do it. Would have preferred 7x7.5.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Jeff Paterson once again asking about the Hronek injury. Allvin dodges the question about the injury but does mention they can get more from Hronek offensively. Whether that's him staying with Hughes or driving his own pair.
was hoping that they will bring out Hronek and let him answer all Paterson questions.

• Haha
Reactions: Bitz and Bites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His arbitration was for one season and only one season. There was no way for it to be longer through arbitration.
When Stone went to arb, he got $7.35 mill for 1 year then $9.5 mill on a long term deal. Weber got $7.5 mill in arb, and if you knocked off the backdiving part of his next deal, he was also well above the arb amount. Arb is still limited to only certain contracts as comps. Wouldn't include the DD, EK, Jossi deals for example.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This could turn out to be a really good contract or a really bad one, lol. I agree with posters who've said it's unlikely Hronek will outperform the contract. I think there's good reason to believe it will turn out to be a fair contract when all is said and done.

Given his age, position, and chemistry with Hughes, it's a pretty reasonable gamble to take. At the very least, Alvin and co. have earned a fair bit of leeway when it comes to assembling a competent D-corps, IMO.

But it really underscores what an incredible value Hughes's contract is. Is there a better value contract in the league right now?

The only thing that sucks is that they'll be saddled with OEL's cap hit until the Hughes contract is done: nearly $5M for the final two years of Quinn's contract. Yikes

I fantasize about the day when the Canucks have no inefficient cap hits to contend with. I'm predicting, perhaps somewhat optimistically, that this Hronek deal won't end up in this category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad