Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah...but for Sam Lafferty of all people?
It makes sense - scored 20 points for them before and beefs them up with some real NHL talent. Jump the market by asking for someone they were already going to sign anyways. No real value to us and they have us by the balls.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If the Mikheyev stuff is true it's necessary if slightly disappointing.

I see a lot of people in here going on and on about how it was a terrible mistake etc.

The braintrust identified that we needed to improve at pk, get faster, and get bigger and he was all of those things.

He also ruined his knee on like the 3rd shift of his first exhibition game against Calgary.

Looking at the cap, I can't see a way around dealing him either, but the guy we saw wasn't him remotely close to his best.

He will be a good player for them and they will retain and get a pretty good asset on the other end.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I've speculated that even if they signed Zadorov and Myers, I'd be very happy with Dillon still. Can rotate between him, Myers, Friedman, and Juulsen. Especially since Friedman can play L/R.
if they can find the dough. i increasingly think they might because i suspect myers is gone. i think it's maybe unfolded the same as when we thought we were getting bear cheap for minimum on a show me deal at christmas last year because bear's agent said something reassuring to dhaliwal to keep us happy and then signs for term with double that amount. i wonder if myers is going to make a lot more dough/term than expected.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even when Allvin comes out and says his mistake was thinking Mikheyev was a top6 player, he was "fine on the 2nd line". Yeah... The same mistake over and over again.

The level is different between Guentzel and Toffoli, but the mode is the same. They are not grinding, do-it-all types that are limited to ES scoring. We don't ignore PPPs when evaluating them. They get PP time and are placed alongside legitimate top6 players because they think the game in the same way. They have the talent to create shot generation, not ride crazy shooting percentages to career years due to unexpected chemistry. They are deserving of their spots higher in the line-up and they do little in the way intangibles/utility. It's the same thinking for both, only the degree is different.

Sure, there is an adjustment to new information, but we also can't succumb wholly to recency bias. That's the Mikheyev mistake. If you want to think Joshua's career year is his new baseline, fill your boots, but it may in fact just be that: A career year. Meanwhile, scoffing at a proven scorer that is 1 year removed from 48 ESPs is... well, you're welcome to it.

Alex Burrows was great. But for however many Alex Burrows there have been, there's a veritable mountain of projects upon the failed NHL top6 scrap heap. Mikheyev just joined it. Because, you know, exceptions don't make the rule.

It *might* be a career year but you're a hell of a lot better off banking on mid-20s guys trending upward with careers on cheap-ish contract than you are on breaking the bank for declining 50-point players.

Mikheyev doesn't have anything to do with anything because the guy blew out his knee before he played a game here. You can't evaluate it and we simply have no idea what would have happened if he was healthy. If that happens to any signing - Joshua, Toffoli, Guentzel, whoever - it's almost certainly going to turn out badly. And you can't use something like that as a reference point for future acquisitions.

Guys who score 40 ESP in their mid-20s continuing on as top-6 ES producers isn't some crazy unicorn thing. I'd suspect those players maintain their level of play more often than not.

If Tyler Toffoli gets term it's going to be a Loui Eriksson/David Backes special for whoever signs him. And it's absurd to compare it to Guentzel.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If all it costs is a second you take that and run. Still disappointing to always be giving up 2nd round picks however. And it's funny that Chicago of all teams has become our dumping ground.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
All depends on the cap hit. At a 4.5 or around there, I'm quite happy. Would prefer Joshua though.
This.

Zadorov is a really unique weapon and his presence basically ensures that we can't be pushed around.

He's also not an irrelevant Kurtis Macdermid sort of player either, he contributes, skates well, and is capable of the odd sublime moment of skill, while being a nuclear option in terms of physicality.

If we lose him it will be felt. But not enough to justify a long-term deal above 5.25 at the absolute ceiling

I can see the Leafs signing him to something stupid like 5.75x6 and I want no part of that.

I also think people really underrate Soucy. He had an injury plagued year, but there were a couple of long stretches of the season where he was healthy where we were like a different team, impenetrable and really underrated puck skills. With Soucy, we don't NEED Zadorov, but he's a great luxury item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad