Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I feel like that's posturing, there's no way Juulsen can be relied on as a top 6.

Is Juulsen an everyday regular dman though? I like his game but ideally he's your 7/8 guy who comes in for injuries. I'd resign Myers for 3RD and Dillon for LD. That leaves you with

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - XXX
Dillon - Myers
Juulsen

Still think McWard needs a full season in the AHL

I don’t disagree and I think they may try to rest veteran guys throughout the year to give Juulsen lots of reps.

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
This is really rather great for Hronek, I see no realistic route he could have exceeded remaining career earnings at above $58M without massive risk. Even if he were to force himself to UFA he probably wouldn't have got that number in total contract.

The Klingberg Case Study was really helpful to GMs looking to lock up players on long-term deals.

Some players will risk it, but you're an injury or a bad fit away from turning that $58M that Hronek secured to $8M with some career-ending injury. Is it worth gambling the $50M difference to maybe get to $66M instead of $58M? In most cases probably not. Whether it's $66M or $58M, it's life changing money. (And yes $8M is too, but quite different at the same time.)

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I’d love for them to splurge a little and get Carrier. Undersized but makes up for it in everything else. Fits in perfectly with not having designated 2nd and 3rd pairs.

Something like:

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Carrier ($3.5M)
Forbort ($775K)-Desharnais ($1M)
Fleury ($775K)- Juulsen

Would be a far better allocation of cap space than any combination of Myers/Zadorov/some other guy to play next to Soucy.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Desharnais, Hakanpaa, and Edmundson as defence-first guys. Schultz and Colin Miller bring a little more puck moving ability.

I’d love for them to splurge a little and get Carrier. Undersized but makes up for it in everything else. Fits in perfectly with not having designated 2nd and 3rd pairs.

A wild card is Kylington. More likely than not to sign with the Flames but has more upside than pretty much anyone available.

I was thinking of Schultz - he’s a local boy and has the Pittsburgh connection, too.

There’s also Tyson Barrie - but you sacrifice defensive ability on that one.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I was thinking of Schultz - he’s a local boy and has the Pittsburgh connection, too.

There was some buzz about Schultz around the deadline, given he adds some offense and previous connections, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

According to some here, Schultz lost a step and looked slow as molasses last season. So there’s risk there.

I am firmly against Barrie. He’s just not good.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Something like:

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Carrier ($3.5M)
Forbort ($775K)-Desharnais ($1M)
Fleury ($775K)- Juulsen

Would be a far better allocation of cap space than any combination of Myers/Zadorov/some other guy to play next to Soucy.

I agree but they will bring back Myers. The hope is that it’s at a lower than expected contract that would allow them to still bring in a Carrier.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
According to some here, Schultz lost a step and looked slow as molasses last season. So there’s risk there.

I am firmly against Barrie. He’s just not good.
I'd be interested in Kovacevic, maybe with an Anderson Mik swap. (Also would take armia/poolman swap)

Troy stetcher is ufa too and looks solid more often than not, would be good here with Foote & Gonchar.

No to barrie and Schultz, yes to kylington.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd be interested in Kovacevic, maybe with an Anderson Mik swap. (Also would take armia/poolman swap)

Troy stetcher is ufa too and looks solid more often than not, would be good here with Foote & Gonchar.

No to barrie and Schultz, yes to kylington.

I’d love Kovacevic. No idea what his status is in Montreal. They have so many guys that need time you’d think they’ll trade at least one guy.

Kylington would be a nice reclamation project

Yeah, he’s someone I’d love to have. Also secretly Swedish.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bringing Guentzel aboard would be massive. I think we are in a good spot to land him. It'll start with a 9 (hopefully just 9) but I'd like to see them make it happen.

As far as the defense. Might be looking at Soucy-Myers 2nd pair again. Although if they can move Mikheyev maybe they can be in on Pesce/Tanev. Its a little risky depending the term but.... You need someone.

Reactions: Chiripa20

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I pray by some miracle that Allvin finds a way to come to terms with Zadorov. These are the types of players you add come playoff time. The big Z made a impact almost immediately and became a fan favorite in Vancouver. He fits Tochetts system like a glove. I certainly hope he is back.

Happy to have Hronek locked up long term. Happy to have that contract wrapped up. Now for Zadorov or Joshua.

At this point I would be doing everything I could if I am Allvin to offload Mikheyev's contract. If it meant dumping our 25 2nd rounder in order to do so, I'd definitely consider it. Mikheyev is costing us losing Joshua.

I understand we are going all in for Jake Guentzel. The Canucks definitely need a player of his caliber on the top lines, but for some reason this feels like a Jim Benning OEL scenario all over again. I'm worried we are going to lose Zadorov and Joshua chasing the Guentzel dream, and it's not even guaranteed we will get him.

If we do get Guentzel it definitely looks like Allvin will be signing Dillon and making an attempt to sign Tanev. I really don't mind either "Love Tanev" but I feel although our top 6 will be vastly improved, our defense will be old, fragile and slow as molasses.

We shall see what happens. Now that the Hronek signing is over with, things should get a little more interesting.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’ll throw a wildcard budget player out there for LD3 or 7D: Mark Giordano

Wouldn’t want to play him for 82 games—but as an injury replacement or on a scheduled scratch workload I think there is a lot of utility. Would be our designated grizzled vet.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd still like to add another RHD to put Juulsen at #7/8. There are not a ton of UFA options that look particularly enticing we can probably afford. Would definitely check-in with the Leafs on the ask for Liljegren.

Rotating between Juulsen and a guy like Friedman is not my idea of a good time.

Reactions: Nucker101

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Wonder what the plan is for d with hronek being kept around.

Hughes tanev
Dillon hronek
Soucy myers
Juulsen
?

Reactions: Chiripa20

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I agree but they will bring back Myers. The hope is that it’s at a lower than expected contract that would allow them to still bring in a Carrier.

Carrier will probably get $4M+ AAV, I can't see them having that much salary on effectively the bottom pair if they bring Myers back. If they're running Hughes-Hronek, Soucy-Myers again, it'll probably be a cheaper guy, especially if they want to spend more at forward. They need to add NHL depth there, though, as Juulsen full-time won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad