Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They can still acquire pretty much anyone they want, even with that blueline....given they dump Mikheyev at full freight.
I don’t think that’s true. See post 330, and that poster has Hronek at 250k less than he got and a pretty optimistic Guentzel number.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Did Warren Foegele just put up the quietest 41 point, half a point per game seasons ever. He is also a free agent. Another Joshua that will get paid I guess.

Reactions: bossram

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tanev is an underrated "puck-mover". He actually retrieves the puck and makes plays that lead to clean exits.

He doesn't get many points though, which is what most people mean when they say "puck-mover".

Yup, the secret sauce of Tanev is that he loathes putting the puck off the glass. His retrievals are excellent and he's confident in his ability to make small in-zone passes to facilitate clean breakouts. His shot-blocking and toughness gets all the accolades but that's not what makes him special.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yup, the secret sauce of Tanev is that he loathes putting the puck off the glass. His retrievals are excellent and he's confident in his ability to make small in-zone passes to facilitate clean breakouts. His shot-blocking and toughness gets all the accolades but that's not what makes him special.
Yep. Making retrievals and clean exits under pressure are probably the most important and difficult skills for a defenseman. And being able to do that is what makes Tanev so useful.

He get's labelled as a "defensive defenseman" because he does the conventionally tough stuff (like blocking shots), but his defensive metrics are strong because he also helps you get out of your own end. Being a puck-mover doesn't mean you have to get empty calorie PP points.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don’t think that’s true. See post 330, and that poster has Hronek at 250k less than he got and a pretty optimistic Guentzel number.
That poster had all of Guentzel, Tanev, and Hronek in that scenario. They also have Joshua.

It may be that they can't really sign Joshua anyway. That then leaves ~$3M for either a Dillon type on the third pair, or a different third line winger.

They get the top-line winger, and have two top-four RD locked in. I'd say those are the main needs addressed.

Reactions: Vector

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Mikheyev Is gone. It's a prerequisite to the offseason game plan.

There's no way he's back next year, whether it's a buyout or a trade with an asset, or take a Rutta like contract back, he's gone one way or the other.

Chef can see the same things we can, this team was miks cap space away from the wcf atleast, needed a tdl upgrade we couldn't afford with stone hands anchor.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Patrick Johnston:
Do you envision pursuing another right-shot defenceman in free agency?

Patrik Allvin:
I don't know. We're still 2 weeks away. Will have discussion with our current group and then see what's available. Says Juulsen is capable of playing in the top-6. Wants McWard to have a good summer and push for a roster spot. Really appears like we're not going to be able to re-sign all of our UFAs.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Two biggest keys for me is to not go into the season with Soucy-Myers as your 2nd pair and top six winger.

Allocate whatever it takes to get that top six forward & second pair D to play with Soucy.

I think @Vector and @bossram nailed it - the ability to think a step ahead on retrievals and be an upgrade as a puck mover… hopefully next season, you aren’t being outshot 20-3 in the Soucy second pair minutes.

And when I say hopefully, I mean that has to be upgraded.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Tanev is an underrated "puck-mover". He actually retrieves the puck and makes plays that lead to clean exits.

He doesn't get many points though, which is what most people mean when they say "puck-mover".
tanev is like those guys who were incredibly good at old school 80s video games and could keep playing in the maximum chaos levels where i could not even take in what was happening. give him ms pacman, centipede or asteroids and he'll find his way through the situations. part of it is knowing what his opponents are going to do, and part is just next level reaction time.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Patrick Johnston:
Do you envision pursuing another right-shot defenceman in free agency?

Patrik Allvin:
I don't know. We're still 2 weeks away. Will have discussion with our current group and then see what's available. Says Juulsen is capable of playing in the top-6. Wants McWard to have a good summer and push for a roster spot. Really appears like we're not going to be able to re-sign all of our UFAs.
Good, keep the flexibility heading into July.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Two biggest keys for me is to not go into the season with Soucy-Myers as your 2nd pair and top six winger.

Allocate whatever it takes to get that top six forward & second pair D to play with Soucy.

I think @Vector and @bossram nailed it - the ability to think a step ahead on retrievals and be an upgrade as a puck mover… hopefully next season, you aren’t being outshot 20-3 in the Soucy second pair minutes.

I'd like to see another quality RD added if they decide to go with Dillon as the LD. At that point you're not really rolling with a 2nd and 3rd pair but two 2.5 pairs and I'm fine with that idea. From the end of today's interview, it sounds like they expect Juulsen to be a regular.

Reactions: bossram

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

if the idea is to have hronek run his own pair then 2nd pair is hronek/soucy and they are looking for a guy for hughes unless they think myers/hughes or juulsen/hughes is a thing.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
A lot of small things, most of which probably don't distinguish him from most pro hockey players. But it's the way he does them.
I see, but why do we care if he gets results. He might be a jerk, but he has the stanley cup final experience we sorely need. I think thats part of the reason why florida is winning against edmonton.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd like to see another quality RD added if they decide to go with Dillon as the LD. At that point you're not really rolling with a 2nd and 3rd pair but two 2.5 pairs and I'm fine with that idea. From the end of today's interview, it sounds like they expect Juulsen to be a regular.

Do you think there are any free agents that fit that bill? (especially in the "economy class" of contract? LOL)

dez

Mar 3, 2012
I feel like that's posturing, there's no way Juulsen can be relied on as a top 6.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Well Tanev is not the problem when you put him Lindell, Hanifin, Kylington, Hughes these all players that compliment him well because they are good skater that move the puck well. Putting him with Soucy won’t end well they both play similar styles. Then you put Myers with Dillion it might be okay. Zadorov was our second best defence man in the playoffs moving the puck we lose him and get guys that are less mobile to a team that already struggled to move the puck. Also when the neutral zone get clogged up can you make a play and enter the zone that’s what made Zadorov stand out in the playoffs. Cool you can get the puck out but if you can’t get it into the offensive zone who cares. Also that bottom 4 is like a 100 years old.

Reactions: biturbo19

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That poster had all of Guentzel, Tanev, and Hronek in that scenario. They also have Joshua.

It may be that they can't really sign Joshua anyway. That then leaves ~$3M for either a Dillon type on the third pair, or a different third line winger.

They get the top-line winger, and have two top-four RD locked in. I'd say those are the main needs addressed.
They've got Joshua but also Briesbois instead of Dillon. I think if you get rid of Joshua, but add like a million more for what Hronek and Guentzel will actuall cost, you won't be able to fit Dillon and Myers in. But obviously margins are tight.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Is Juulsen an everyday regular dman though? I like his game but ideally he's your 7/8 guy who comes in for injuries. I'd resign Myers for 3RD and Dillon for LD. That leaves you with

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - XXX
Dillon - Myers
Juulsen

Still think McWard needs a full season in the AHL

Reactions: biturbo19

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well Tanev is not the problem when you put him Lindell, Hanifin, Kylington, Hughes these all players that compliment him well because they are good skater that move the puck well. Putting him with Soucy won’t end well they both play similar styles. Then you put Myers with Dillion it might be okay. Zadorov was our second best defence man in the playoffs moving the puck we lose him and get guys that are less mobile to a team that already struggled to move the puck. Also when the neutral zone get clogged up can you make a play and enter the zone that’s what made Zadorov stand out in the playoffs. Cool you can get the puck out but if you can’t get it into the offensive zone who cares. Also that bottom 4 is like a 100 years old.
This is the first time I've literally ever heard of Lindell described as a player that "moves the puck well". The big issue for Lindell (and his pair with Hakanpaa last playoffs) were that they were constantly hemmed in because they couldn't exit the zone cleanly. Yet once paired with Tanev, they become one of the top defensive pairings in the league. Interesting.

Yes, Zadorov had a great 11-12 games. For the rest of his entire career, he's been utilized like a 5D in soft competition. Judging a guy by one playoff run is where some of the most most famous UFA mistakes have been made.

If you're so concerned with age, then swap Dillon for a different third pair defenseman. Not rocket science.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Do you think there are any free agents that fit that bill? (especially in the "economy class" of contract? LOL)

Desharnais, Hakanpaa, and Edmundson as defence-first guys. Schultz and Colin Miller bring a little more puck moving ability.

I’d love for them to splurge a little and get Carrier. Undersized but makes up for it in everything else. Fits in perfectly with not having designated 2nd and 3rd pairs.

A wild card is Kylington. More likely than not to sign with the Flames but has more upside than pretty much anyone available.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is really rather great for Hronek, I see no realistic route he could have exceeded remaining career earnings at above $58M without massive risk. Even if he were to force himself to UFA he probably wouldn't have got that number in total contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad