Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It doesn't get commented on as much but this was an unbelievable move for Florida. Picked up a guy who'd just established himself as an NHLer and basically locked in a top 4 mainstay. He'll provide huge surplus value over the life of this contract.
This is what Florida has constantly been doing under Zito. Rehabilitating players with spotty track records and extracting way more value from them than expected. Did it with Forsling, Montour, Mikkola, Kulikov, OEL, Bennett, Verhaghe...

Can guarantee they're not signing the current versions of guys like Lindholm or Zadorov.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
if they re-signed Lindholm long term, people would bitch about him for all 7 years

Yes, the contract would have been terrible. I don't know if he was even really available to them, he seemed to have one foot out of town, but even if he did sign they would have been paying top-dollar and that contract would been a massive anchor for a guy to play behind Miller and Pettersson.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
With so many players to sign and the lack of any business taking place I am thinking Benning 2.0.
Benning was "one thing at a time", but he had stripped the front office so it was mostly just him doing the micro managing.

One thing at a time with 3/4 GM's and Rutherford should not be happening. IMO the closer to FA day the more likely the Players wait that extra week.

If nothing is being done just because of Hronek then there is a problem, tunnel vision.

These guys, especially under Rutherford seemed very proactive and creative, seemed. But the total lack of Vancouver team news is like waiting for another "we ran out of time" statement to come.

Not all need to be re-signed but solidifying t 80% of the defence, which was 5th in the league, would be the easiest and could be done early IMO. Why no Myers news? The planet knows he wants to be here, are they grinding him that much that he waits until Utah or Seattle give him a call, or Calgary or Edmonton which are both close to his house in the Okanogan and would slide 2 - 3 mil to him in a heart beat.

As it is right now it appears they are prepared to let or lose most of the players needing signing. IMO signing only Joshua are a fan favour won't help the team next year.
The way the team handled the top goal scorers and the Canucks top scorers in the playoffs show that 100 points in the easy season don't mean as much in the real season.

July 15th DFO opens up fishing in Vancouver and most of the coast, CFL football might have a resurgence, NFL, Baseball, soccer will all be pushing the Nux farther back in the media's time and fan's interest. They will always be #1 in Vancouver but not necessarily in the rest of the province.

It was refreshing that Vancouver was not last in action the last couple of years but now? Very eerily similar to a big mistake, a Benning type mistake, might be on the horizon

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If all you care about is speed, sign Kasperi Kapanen for $775K, not Chandler Stephenson for $6M.
Since he was in Drance's recent article, I had been thinking of Kapanen too. At the very least would come very cheap. If they get off Mikheyev, he is a natural replacement for speed on the wing and PKing (and non-existent offensive IQ).

Prior to this season he was more-or-less a 0.5 PPG player, so there is like...something there.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Since he was in Drance's recent article, I had been thinking of Kapanen too. At the very least would come very cheap. If they get off Mikheyev, he is a natural replacement for speed on the wing and PKing (and non-existent offensive IQ).

Prior to this season he was more-or-less a 0.5 PPG player, so there is like...something there.

Kapanen is someone I've wondered in the past if the Canucks might be interested in him. There's some Pittsburgh connections and, similar to a guy like Tyson Jost (although he might have a higher price tag), I wonder about him as a veteran player in the bottom six at bargain pricing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Nonetheless, sources have been percolating that the Canucks might present the best mix of money and opportunity right out of the gate. There is a familiarity there, as Guentzel played for Rick Tocchet as an assistant coach in Pittsburgh, and under Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin in the Steel City – not to mention the strength and training staff.

It could be as much as 7 years x $9.5 million, or the Hurricanes have let teams know they are willing to work out a sign-and-trade so a team could get him on the maximum eight-year term (and lower the cap hit) in exchange for a mid-round pick.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Nonetheless, sources have been percolating that the Canucks might present the best mix of money and opportunity right out of the gate. There is a familiarity there, as Guentzel played for Rick Tocchet as an assistant coach in Pittsburgh, and under Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin in the Steel City – not to mention the strength and training staff.

It could be as much as 7 years x $9.5 million, or the Hurricanes have let teams know they are willing to work out a sign-and-trade so a team could get him on the maximum eight-year term (and lower the cap hit) in exchange for a mid-round pick.

I wonder how “mid” a mid round pick we are talking.

Reactions: MarkMM

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

3rd to 5th are considered mid-round. Carolina would probably demand a 3rd. Canucks could get a 4th for Lindholm's rights. Maybe a 3rd if they do that as part of a sign-and-trade. So the fabled Lindholm for Guentzel swap may come to pass in the silliest way possible.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

The Canucks should be all over this.

Reducing the AAV by ~$1m could be the difference between a Zadorov or not.

Carolina should be all over it too. They get to farm an asset and they send Guentzel to the West—and not a divisional or conference rival.

And Guentzel would probably value the extra salary he might be able to squeeze out of an eighth year.

The recent example was last year's sign-and-trade between Columbus and New Jersey.

Columbus sent the Devils a 3rd round pick for the benefit of the 8th year.

Reactions: Hodgy

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It doesn't get commented on as much but this was an unbelievable move for Florida. Picked up a guy who'd just established himself as an NHLer and basically locked in a top 4 mainstay. He'll provide huge surplus value over the life of this contract.
Florida has made a bunch of spectacular moves.
I remember Van was hard after Rodriguez last summer. People thought he was overrated because he played a lot with Crosby couple years ago but then beside Mackinnon and Compher during Compher's break out year, he performed just as well. Most of this year with Barkov and Lundell. He's the 3rd wheel forechecking forward.

I thought Blueger had maybe the chance to be the same as Rodriguez but never got the chance. That type is something Canucks could use in their top 6. PDG just doesn't have anything other than the forecheck and Suter has no finish and isn't all that physical.

I don't know if there is a free agent that fits that bill this year though. Other than Joshua but I don't think he kept up as well when he faced top 6 vs his 3rd line duties.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Surprised Christian Fischer has not been tied to the Canucks more. Ties to Tocchet, fits his style. Will probably be available close to league minimum.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

If they can actually get Guentzel, all the other manoeuvres involving the UFAs totally make sense and are justified. You'll still be in tight on the blue line cap wise, especially if you bring back Hronek, but it's worth it get that type of impact in the top six.

Risky strategy, since you have to risk basically losing all the UFAs by doing it, but worth it.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
This year doesn't seem like a good year to spend cap space on the mid tier. I would save the dollars this off season.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Surprised Christian Fischer has not been tied to the Canucks more. Ties to Tocchet, fits his style. Will probably be available close to league minimum.
He was a UFA last summer too so maybe the team just doesn't see much upside with him or he doesn't want to play in Canada. Apparently Tocchet liked him in Arizona.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i do like the idea of a doubleswap for lindholm's rights and use the pick for guentzel's rights.

i wonder would trading for guentzel's rights maybe pay off indirectly by causing the other canuck free agents to panic as the game of musical chairs loses a chair? it would call the bluff of all the ufas who want to re-sign here but are holding off for the best deal. to the extent the agents are thinking about the bigger picture and trying to avoid team friendly signings early that would set the market, it would force them to move to keep their clients happy.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
With so many players to sign and the lack of any business taking place I am thinking Benning 2.0.
Benning was "one thing at a time", but he had stripped the front office so it was mostly just him doing the micro managing.

One thing at a time with 3/4 GM's and Rutherford should not be happening. IMO the closer to FA day the more likely the Players wait that extra week.

If nothing is being done just because of Hronek then there is a problem, tunnel vision.

These guys, especially under Rutherford seemed very proactive and creative, seemed. But the total lack of Vancouver team news is like waiting for another "we ran out of time" statement to come.

Not all need to be re-signed but solidifying t 80% of the defence, which was 5th in the league, would be the easiest and could be done early IMO. Why no Myers news? The planet knows he wants to be here, are they grinding him that much that he waits until Utah or Seattle give him a call, or Calgary or Edmonton which are both close to his house in the Okanogan and would slide 2 - 3 mil to him in a heart beat.

As it is right now it appears they are prepared to let or lose most of the players needing signing. IMO signing only Joshua are a fan favour won't help the team next year.
The way the team handled the top goal scorers and the Canucks top scorers in the playoffs show that 100 points in the easy season don't mean as much in the real season.

July 15th DFO opens up fishing in Vancouver and most of the coast, CFL football might have a resurgence, NFL, Baseball, soccer will all be pushing the Nux farther back in the media's time and fan's interest. They will always be #1 in Vancouver but not necessarily in the rest of the province.

It was refreshing that Vancouver was not last in action the last couple of years but now? Very eerily similar to a big mistake, a Benning type mistake, might be on the horizon
I see no similarities between the Benning Management "group" and the present conglomerate management.

I think this group is willing to hunt for deals deep into the offseason of necessary and that's very often where good deals are signed. They're also not afraid to pony up for the players they want, but I've seen no evidence of myopic fixation on one player to the detriment of other moves.

They do make mistakes, but as others have posted, they'll often move quickly to correct them.

I don't think this off season is an easy one to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad