Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
When Joshua went down to injury due to a broken hand, you knew his importance to the team. Canucks totally looked like a different team without him. So I am not understanding what the Canucks management deal is here, if you can get Joshua for under 4 you sign that deal, with no questions ask.

Hronek, Zadorov and Lindholm may also walk. 3 players on expiring contracts that Allvin traded for. Why trade for these players giving up a large amount of assets if you had doubts that they could be signed.

I am going to be annoyed if Zadorov and Joshua are let go when they were willing to take paycuts in order to play here.

Less than 4 million you bloody sign Joshua.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The NHL tells teams not to announce trades and signings while the SCF is still ongoing. Additionally, the first buyout period is 48 hours after the SCF which is the big kick off for moves to get made.

Pardon my ignorance on how these things work in the background. Regarding the trade announcement and all, if not officially announced/acknowledged, is it acceptable for GMs to talk to UFAs?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For reference: 3 players ranked in and around the FRP they apparently wasted on Elias Lindholm:

Any of these assets would have been better than acquiring a player you realistically could not resign.

Asset management was the Achilles Heal of the last management group and if it goes down as now predicted, the new lot will be out of their honeymoon period and looking like the"We ran out of time" show.

Bleak, but this time with no draft assets.

Seriously, did you start watching sports last week?

Many teams are trying to win a championship. All of them try to make moves to bolster their squads. Only one team can actually win. This is how things work. Unfortunately our starting goalie got hurt or we probably make the Conference Finals.

If anything, they should have spent MORE futures and picks at the deadline.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pardon my ignorance on how these things work in the background. Regarding the trade announcement and all, if not officially announced/acknowledged, is it acceptable for GMs to talk to UFAs?

The official stance is GMs cannot talk to UFAs. However there is some wiggle room if the team has no intention of signing or the player isn’t sticking around. They’ll then be fine for that agent to have soft talks with other teams.

The big thing is don’t talk about it publicly. Otherwise you’ll get hit with a tampering charge.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The official stance is GMs cannot talk to UFAs. However there is some wiggle room if the team has no intention of signing or the player isn’t sticking around. They’ll then be fine for that agent to have soft talks with other teams.

The big thing is don’t talk about it publicly. Otherwise you’ll get hit with a tampering charge.

images

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry but I can't help it. Initially I tried my best to not think about it this way but the setup was just too...perfect. That is unless you read the back of my mind and decided to give me a firm shove in the intended direction, in which case you have my thanks.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Kind of strange they can't re-sign Stephenson at roughly $6m, but will be in on Marner who has a cap hit of over $10m...

If they get Marner, I guess Stone will stay the whole season on LTIR then. I wonder what's his "injury" will be this time around, but I'm 100% sure he will be magically cleared to play by game 1 of next playoff.

i assume they'd let marchessault walk and trade theodore or whitecloud if marner is available. losing 2 of those 3 for marner is a lot more palatable than losing them to keep stephenson

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I always find it funny people said that he was still learning. He had been an NHL AGM/GM for a decade at that point.

Also, I love that the dark days are in the past and we can laugh about it instead of crying or screaming into our pillows.

Same goes for his buddy Chiarelli, yeesh.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
For reference: 3 players ranked in and around the FRP they apparently wasted on Elias Lindholm:

Any of these assets would have been better than acquiring a player you realistically could not resign.

Asset management was the Achilles Heal of the last management group and if it goes down as now predicted, the new lot will be out of their honeymoon period and looking like the"We ran out of time" show.

Bleak, but this time with no draft assets.
Not sure where you came out from, but this is just not a good post. Please stop with this line of thinking.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
RE: more speed on the back end to drive offense when Hughes isn’t on the ice

One UFA defenseman who stands out in this regard is Sean Walker. He has nearly twice the rate of rush attempts over any other UFA defenseman. He’s also among the leaders in shots and rebounds created.

Walker will be an interesting contract to watch. He had zero points across 11 playoff games in Colorado. But, he also primarily played with Jack Johnson…

Reactions: CanuckCity

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Bleuger was that too and we got him "cheap"

If Stenlund is available for around 1.5mil-2mil then id be very interested, especially if were going to lose guys like Lindholm, Bleuger, and Joshua from our PK.
Lol, he played only 6 games, was a 13th forward on that Vegas team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin was one of the most active GM's in the league last season with trades and UFA signings. But it was a strategy borne of necessity.

Incoming guys like Suter, Cole, Soucy, Lafferty, Blueger, Friedman and DeSmith were a necessity because the Canucks simply had no organizational depth.

But I suspect this time around they're going to take a long look at the likes Sasson, Bains, Karlsson, Raty and McWard. Obviously not all of them will be ready. But they're a lot closer to being NHL players, and a lot cheaper than some of the veteran UFA's on the market.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Allvin was one of the most active GM's in the league last season with trades and UFA signings. But it was a strategy borne of necessity.

Incoming guys like Suter, Cole, Soucy, Lafferty, Blueger, Friedman and DeSmith were a necessity because the Canucks simply had no organizational depth.

But I suspect this time around they're going to take a long look at the likes Sasson, Bains, Karlsson, Raty and McWard. Obviously not all of them will be ready. But they're a lot closer to being NHL players, and a lot cheaper than some of the veteran UFA's on the market.

It’s fine if they are replacing players like Lafferty, but they won’t replace Joshua. Don’t want too many of these types either. No more than 1-2 of these spots available to win at camp. Nothing wrong with going after those types of players that you mentioned if they are available for cheap again.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I agree and I think the organization has been working hard at this. There is a ton of risk to signing bottom six forwards to the $1.5-2.5m deals when you have a farmhand that could do the job for half the cost. The scariest practice would be to hand out term that may block roster spots in the future.

I am particularly interested in seeing what Raty could do at wing next year. He has the size and speed that could come at half the cost of signing someone like Duhaime

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tyson Jost is someone I would be interested in at a minimum wage deal. See if he can rediscover a bit of his game and push for a fourth line spot, or maybe be a play driver in Abbotsford.

Ehhh...i wouldn't have any problem with signing Jost to a minimum wage deal. But i'd be doing it primarily as depth for the Abbyfarm. I think he's a guy who has seen enough NHL chances, to know that he just doesn't have the physical tools to make a real positive impact. He's not skilled enough or smart enough for the Top-6, and not big or fast or strong enough, nor does he have the real mentality or defensive prowess for the Bottom-6. He's one of those classic "tweeners".

Not even the sort of guy i'd prefer as a call-up option, without a defined "role" of any kind. Just totally underwhelming at everything. Rather call up a guy who who may be worse than Jost in a bunch of areas, but at least has one particular niche where they might be able to contribute (PK, faceoffs, offensive minutes, something).

Good shout. At the very least, would love to see him centering Raty or Lekkerimaki next season in Abbotsford. And who knows what the upside is, lots of guys really take off once they're out of the Sabres Suck Vortex.

Ehhh...the thing with Jost is that he actually found some semblance of a game briefly in the Sabres Vortex of Suck. Then lost it again. He's also had multiple other very good opportunities in both Colorado and Minnesota, and proven time and again that he just can't run with it.

He basically needs to play at 115% intensity and effort just to get by as a decent bottom-6 filler. And it's obviously just not sustainable at all.

There's a bit of a BC connection there too, as he played junior hockey in Penticton. Hard to believe he's only 26 - but he's clearly shown before he can be a reliable bottom six guy in the NHL. Just had successive disappointing stints in Minnesota and Buffalo.

Has he really ever shown that though? He's floated around and been gifted multiple big opportunities due to draft pedigree and hope...but he's never really established that he can be an effective bottom-6er for more than a very brief stint at a time. He's had his production bolstered by some offensive Top-6 opportunities at times, but sucked there too and frustrated everyone.

He's basically a smaller, slower, less skilled Markus Granlund. With a BC connection though! :laugh:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

Many teams are trying to win a championship. All of them try to make moves to bolster their squads. Only one team can actually win. This is how things work. Unfortunately our starting goalie got hurt or we probably make the Conference Finals.

You take the risk to flog assets when you are
A) Not going to make the playoffs
B) Actually, Close to winning a Cup
C) You know you can resign the assets you acquired.
D) Your medical staff lets you down again and you are misinformed.
E) For kicks and giggles because you are incompotent.

Hint: it's not A or B.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canucks are in win now mode they're not dealing Demko for the 10th overall pick which will take 2-3 years to develop or turn into a bust. And the Devils aren't adding Nemec to the deal. If Silovs outplays Demko next season then I can see him being dealt a year before he becomes a UFA.

I think that if the Canucks were to deal Demko for the 10th pick, it'd still have to be more coming their way. And i'd agree, that's not Nemec, there's zero chance of that...even straight up for Demko, without the 10th pick.

But the idea would be...not to sit there and wait for the 10th pick to develop. Rather, to flip that for some other asset that can help them immensely right now. Top-10 draft picks are a very liquid commodity. There are no teams that don't need more Top-10 Draft Selections...even if as in this scenario, it'd simply be as a piece to flip to someone else for a player they want now.

But the whole thing basically starts and ends with the reality that...nobody is going to give us the insane "value" it'd require to move our Vezina caliber goaltender on a steal of a value contract, right in the middle of a contending window. So it's all basically moot.

The idea would be 2 fold:

1. Create more cap space by going from Demko to Silovs
2. Using the assets in a Demko trade as extra ammunition to make a trade that helps us win now and retain a young-ish player. Or possibly even make it a 3 way trade.

Not that i support the idea of trading Demko,

but what if lets say the Flames are interested in rebuilding.

To NJD: Thatcher Demko

To CGY 10th overall pick

To Van: Rasmus Andersson

Something along those lines.

Add in something like Holtz+ going from NJD to CGY as well, and Markstrom at $1M retained going back to VAN and maybe i'd at least pause and think about it. Someone balks at that though, i'm sure. Might even be me. Demko is just such a differencemaker when healthy. Markstrom has experience working with Ian Clark and i think he's "good enough" to win with in our window here. But it's still such a clear downgrade at a critical position.

I also think this is more the purview of "fantasy GM" land, in that Demko is a pretty core part of our team mentality/identity/culture in that locker room. So even entertaining that idea is probably playing with nuclear fire.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yes. They still needed wing help and Allvin should have addressed that at the deadline. A little more quality and they likely beat EDM to get to the WCF against a Dallas team that I was not high on (and ended up disappointing).

Lindholm was fine as a rental deal. I had the same take then as now. He filled a need for them, but they still had other needs. Time to move on and not lock in to an egregiously bad contract.

Reactions: wonton15

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
RE: more speed on the back end to drive offense when Hughes isn’t on the ice

One UFA defenseman who stands out in this regard is Sean Walker. He has nearly twice the rate of rush attempts over any other UFA defenseman. He’s also among the leaders in shots and rebounds created.

Walker will be an interesting contract to watch. He had zero points across 11 playoff games in Colorado. But, he also primarily played with Jack Johnson…

I'm quite curious what kind of contract he'll get. I would be interested at a reduced priced, if perhaps he ends up being more of a Day 2 or Day 3 signing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You take the risk to flog assets when you are
A) Not going to make the playoffs
B) Actually, Close to winning a Cup
C) You know you can resign the assets you acquired.
D) Your medical staff lets you down again and you are misinformed.
E) For kicks and giggles because you are incompotent.

Hint: it's not A or B.

What on earth are you talking about?

We were a top 5 team in the NHL over this season. We would have made the Conference Finals if our Vezina-nominated starting goalie didn't get hurt.

This is a situation where you take some risks and move some futures to try and win a Cup. It's literally THE situation where you make these sorts of moves.

We've only been in this position with a team this good maybe 5 or 6 times before in the 54-year history of the franchise (1992-94, 2010-12, 2024).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Has he really ever shown that though? He's floated around and been gifted multiple big opportunities due to draft pedigree and hope...but he's never really established that he can be an effective bottom-6er for more than a very brief stint at a time. He's had his production bolstered by some offensive Top-6 opportunities at times, but sucked there too and frustrated everyone.

He's basically a smaller, slower, less skilled Markus Granlund. With a BC connection though! :laugh:

I thought he looked like a capable bottom-sixer in Colorado. Granted his stops in both Buffalo and Minnesota have been less than encouraging.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm quite curious what kind of contract he'll get. I would be interested at a reduced priced, if perhaps he ends up being more of a Day 2 or Day 3 signing.

Rumour has had it since he was traded from Philly he's looking for around $5M AAV, which I believe is around where AFP has him. But who knows, really. He didn't have the greatest playoffs with the Avs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I’m sick in bed now so no summary at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon.

I've become spoiled by your summaries - especially because it means I don't have to listen to that prick Seravalli and parse through all his insanely idiotic opinions before getting to the few insider nuggets he deems appropriate to share. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad