Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Signing Lindholm and Zadorov makes sense. We spent a lot of assets, would be wise to keep them around. Need to figure out how to dump Mikheyev and go for a top 6. If it doesn’t materialize, then try to keep some cap space for the deadline.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I am not sure bringing Lindholm back is the right move but I do understand it... and he is a 3C only in the same way that Garland is a 3RW... hell less so as Lindholm will get substantial PP and PK time. I would look at him much more to a RNH.

Either way Lindholm, Petterson, or Miller becomes your 3C in this scenario. It's textbook how to convince oneself of something unrealistic they desire, and completely blow a budget 101, in 3 easy steps.

Not directed at you but it's a little hard to figure out how some people can't see the super obvious problem with this approach. Here's a list of Center salaries for the Final 4 teams, FLA, EDM, DAL, NYR, +VAN, and some randoms in VGS, TB, DET, NJ, ANA. Our whopping $26,600,000 isn't even remotely in the ballpark with other teams, except 3 mil more than Edmonton, who drafted two of the top 5 centers in the game. Pretty simple to see this is a poor strategy.

FLA

EDM

DAL

NYR

VAN

VGS

TB

DET

NJ

ANA

Reactions: theguardianII

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Signing Lindholm and Zadorov makes sense. We spent a lot of assets, would be wise to keep them around. Need to figure out how to dump Mikheyev and go for a top 6. If it doesn’t materialize, then try to keep some cap space for the deadline.
Meh, look at Florida with Chiarot and Giroux. Traded for both and let both walk.

Its all about value per dollar

Reactions: credulous

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Either way Lindholm, Petterson, or Miller becomes your 3C in this scenario. It's textbook how to convince oneself of something unrealistic they desire, and completely blow a budget 101, in 3 easy steps.

Not directed at you but it's a little hard to figure out how some people can't see the super obvious problem with this approach. Here's a list of Center salaries for the Final 4 teams, FLA, EDM, DAL, NYR, +VAN, and some randoms in VGS, TB, DET, NJ, ANA. Our whopping $26,600,000 isn't even remotely in the ballpark with other teams, except 3 mil more than Edmonton, who drafted two of the top 5 centers in the game. Pretty simple to see this is a poor strategy.

FLA

EDM

DAL

NYR

VAN

VGS

TB

DET

NJ

ANA
I'm just picking on Dallas here but they're going to have to replace Duchene and give Johnston a huge raise soon. Plus they are very heavy cap wise on the wings with Seguin and Benn making almost 10m each.

So go heavy on the wing or at center? Lindholm and Pettersson can both move to wing if need to.

Reactions: racerjoe

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I'm just picking on Dallas here but they're going to have to replace Duchene and give Johnston a huge raise soon. Plus they are very heavy cap wise on the wings with Seguin and Benn making almost 10m each.

So go heavy on the wing or at center? Lindholm and Pettersson can both move to wing if need to.
Benn is gone before they need to pay Johnston and they're going to get Stankoven for 2 more seasons on an ELD + Bourque waiting in the wings. Add in a 1C and 1D on bargain long term deals and it's hard not to envy their cap picture. even after extending Johnston, there's a good chance they have one of the better top 2 C duos in the league at middle of the pack $$.

Reactions: theguardianII

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tej sucks. Bad person.

But, I wouldn’t write him off on this. Their god awful podcast had air time - albeit air time they paid and sucked up to the canucks/cmac to have & keep. Biggest Jim Benning and Francesco fans!

Obviously you take it with a grain of salt, but meh, wouldn’t surprise me !

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
More I think about it, more I agree with Hansen’s take on not signing Lindholm as resources are better allocated elsewhere than essentially a 3C.

Yes he can play wing but he prefers C. Necas I understand as he’s a W who can play C.

With Miller and EP, you want a capable 3C who can play 2C in a pinch. But you want the price to be less than what Lindholm wants.

But at the end of the day, mgmt has to assess everything and what other realistic options they have to construct the team they want.

As an aside, I’m all over acquiring Vector’s boy Joseph at the right cost. Hopefully take advantage of the situation in Ottawa atm.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Benn is gone before they need to pay Johnston and they're going to get Stankoven for 2 more seasons on an ELD + Bourque waiting in the wings. Add in a 1C and 1D on bargain long term deals and it's hard not to envy their cap picture. even after extending Johnston, there's a good chance they have one of the better top 2 C duos in the league at middle of the pack $$.
Agreed. And they have arguably the best drafting in the league so there will likely be more players on ELCs in the coming years.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've gone through a few different positions on what management's off-season strategy should be (and back and forth again). At one point I was thinking that since they can't keep all the free agents they should probably move Hronek, as they'd get assets back that they could use to improve the prospect pool or to try to upgrade elsewhere.

But now I'm thinking they should just keep it simple and focus on finding the right winger for Pettersson. In Hronek they've got a guy to play with Hughes in a dominant pair. They've found chemistry with Miller and Boeser. The simplest, most obvious way to be better next season and into the playoffs is to solve the Pettersson problem. Start there, then do what you can with what's left of the cap space to cobble together the third and fourth lines and the bottom d pairing.

Yeah, I know ... startling insight. But I've received numerous DMs asking why I haven't given my take.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I've gone through a few different positions on what management's off-season strategy should be (and back and forth again). At one point I was thinking that since they can't keep all the free agents they should probably move Hronek, as they'd get assets back that they could use to improve the prospect pool or to try to upgrade elsewhere.

But now I'm thinking they should just keep it simple and focus on finding the right winger for Pettersson. In Hronek they've got a guy to play with Hughes in a dominant pair. They've found chemistry with Miller and Boeser. The simplest, most obvious way to be better next season and into the playoffs is to solve the Pettersson problem. Start there, then do what you can with what's left of the cap space to cobble together the third and fourth lines and the bottom d pairing.

Yeah, I know ... startling insight. But I've received numerous DMs asking why I haven't given my take.
I agree. IMO, in terms of priorities to address in order:

1) top 6 RW for Pettersson
2) top 4 RD (even if Hronek is re-signed)
3) either 3C or top 6 LW for the Miller line

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

I like the idea of lines being made up of duos with an interchangeable third. Miller-Boeser and Garland-Joshua kind of work in that model. EP just doesn't have a good partner yet. I suppose it could be Lindholm over the course of a season?

Guentzel is the obvious choice there, but it's hard to see how we can afford him. Yes, try to move Mikheyev, but that will be easier said than done and may be costly.

Hard to imagine re-signing Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov, and adding Guentzel. Something's gotta give.

I doubt Necas is really going to be available for a price we want to pay. The Hurricanes seem really hard to deal with.

Reactions: Lindgren

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yes, after the exit interviews I came to the realization that the number one priority is a winger for Pettersson. The Hronek decision is kind of a side issue. I think they will sign him if he comes to a certain price, if out, he may get traded and they will rely on the incoming assets / free agency to plug that gap.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tej sucks. Bad person.

But, I wouldn’t write him off on this. Their god awful podcast had air time - albeit air time they paid and sucked up to the canucks/cmac to have & keep. Biggest Jim Benning and Francesco fans!

Obviously you take it with a grain of salt, but meh, wouldn’t surprise me !

Reminds me of a line from a detective show I watched - “just because he’s crazy doesn’t mean he’s wrong”.

To which the other character glibly replied “sounds like something you’d read on a fridge magnet”.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

The problem with "just" is there is a chance that "doesn't" happens.
Lindholm found a line with Joshua and Garland but EP didn't fit with them.
They put EP on the wing with the old 6 - 40 - 9 line but that didn't work so good, at least not like in the past.

I think any improvement from EP's game has to be from him. He wasn't the same after the TDL and a little before that even on the PP with players he has been with for two years.

The Hronek possible signing has been attached to the Zadorov signing for some irrelevant reason. The team has enough cap space now to sign Hronek to 7+ mil, Zadorov to 5.5, Myers to 3 and still have enough left over for Linholm around 7. Thats four real important players for 23 million and with LTIR they have that they can use.
But they could still get more cap space through retaining some on Mikheyev or Boeser's next raise by trading him now then use that money for a big name FA signed short term. While not likely but say Stamkos to a 2 year 8 mi deal. I think they could do this without trading Boeser right away.

Something else I have noticed is how the local media has been emphasizing the total contract value instead of the cap hit. IMO this is to try to lead fans into thinking how greedy a player is if he rejects ANY offer made by the Canucks. An example, Zadorov moves on and the media states his new contract is 55 million and the Canucks only offered 51 million justifying the Canucks walking away but neglecting to point out it is only 500 k more per season due to the term of the deal. IMO if the difference is 500K then the Canucks should close he deal, but 4 or 5 million sounds so much more reasonable to walk away from doesn't it? Fan manipulation IMO.

Oh, and 8 million for Hronek, if done then no clause because if he can't run his own line then make a deal with him signed and having term. Although I wonder how they will measure that because there is no way they will reduce Hughes PP time and that is where he gets a lot of his points from.
Without Hronek and with there was only a 16 point improvement and how many of those were 2nd assists and how many were him just shooting the puck more than before. 8 mil for a complimentry player is too much

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Yes, and when Dallas does this they will compensate by signing an affordable option at 3C. Not a $7 million dollar role player. It's just an exorbitant expenditure. No teams go that heavy on center. Too much $$.

Sure, Petey and Lindholm can move to the wing, but will they (with RT very doubtful), and would it even be successful? We had all the opportunity in the world to try it. We never did when it counted and when we did initially, it was not successful. Very risky to say the least! When were so tight against the cap why not just sign a player who plays the desired position instead of a $7 million dollar question mark?

Even at a quick glance it just seems like a huge misappropriation of funds that buries this teams chances of competing. It isn't exactly the same but it's on the lesser spectrum of signing a $5 million dollar backup for Demko. I guess it's possible, but it sure seems like an absolute hacky, cute, and quirky way to build a team, and will surely backfire. Stranger things have happened though. Personally I think they are throwing like low 5's at him hoping he'll sign something might possibly work.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I have a soft spot for fast middle six Swiss Army knives under team control stuck on bad teams. I also think he has a cool name.
Is that two summers in a row they're trying to move Joseph? I wonder if something around Joseph and Zub for Hronek might be close.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Is that two summers in a row they're trying to move Joseph? I wonder if something around Joseph and Zub for Hronek might be close.

It is but last year there was no cap space and the Flyers were demanding a 1st round pick as compensation. Not sure why San Jose or Chicago didn’t pick him up; probably because of the length of his contract.

I was wondering if there’s a way to get Zub as well. He wasn’t listed as untouchable but Garrioch isn’t the smartest tool in the shed.

Reactions: Jerry the great
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad