Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I'm of the opinion that while no one wants all these mega long term deals for these players, whomever it is, if they, the front office mandates, and sees this as a window of contention, the gm and those in charge will probably be willing to take huge extended risks in terms of facilitating short term gain for long term pain.

The shelf life of any gm or management group usually doesn't last the life of the contracts they sign, so why would they care about the last few yrs? The reality is most won't be around by the time these contracts are the teams ball and chain, and it'll be the new regimes problem to deal with.

If in the window they end up winning the cup, then no one will care about the crappy last few years of a players contract, cuz the objective has been seen through, everyone's happy.

We as fans want continuous success so we see the trapfalls and risks of all these, and the cost and negative effect of having to navigate around it, but we don't control shit besides putting money in the owners pockets to play the game as they choose. We all may be better gms than those in charge if given the reins, but we answer to no one but ourselves and our peers as a fan base.

In a small market like Ottawa, when melnyk was running it on food stamps, or Arizona pretty much their whole history, the objective was more to make profit and cost cutting everywhere. In Buffalo, when pegulas bought it, they threw insane amounts of money at players thinking it'd buy into being contenders.

Having said all that, point is, we've seen the mandate for this team is to contend every year, whatever the cost, irregardless of what the motive truly is, if it is to bring a cup, or if it's revenue driven.

I'd hope that we don't sign some of these rumored long term contracts for anyone that's in the latter half of their careers, but I'm prepared for such a scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. They just have to do it in a way where they balance the terms and amounts with smart picks, and trades. Where this regime has in short term, had success, and been strategic when they spent, benning f***ed up and was Santa Claus to everyone while also giving ridiculous contracts.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
A few observations/guesses on my part...

The management team this off-season is looking more at 2 and 3 years from now...they want to send a message that this year was good but not good enough. They are letting their current UFA's and RFA know that you don't get an automatic invite back just because you outperformed your contract.

Signing Yugi had 2 effects.

The current team and A LOT of junior and other teams NHLers love working with him in the off-season. I assume that signing with Canucks will stop him working with other teams players in the off-season?

Also, players like Joshua, Zad, Bluger etc that had their production increase should wonder if that can stay the same elsewhere?

If July 1st comes and goes and there are some players that think they have untapped upside, sure as hell they will be contacting Nucks mgmt looking for 1 year show-me deals like this last off-season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I really cannot understand the rationalizations for bringing back Lindholm at a 7x7 deal. That is absolutely disastrous.

I don't even have much confidence he can keep this somewhat disappointing level of production up for another two seasons, let alone beyond that. For the crowd that thinks we should sacrifice depth to upgrade the top-six, but simultaneously want to bring back a $7M 3C....it makes no sense. The club didn't want to invest this kind of money in Bo Horvat to be a 3C, but want to do it with Lindholm? Why?

It only makes sense if Lindholm becomes their permanent top-six fixture. But again, I don't really think he's going to maintain a high enough level of play to ever justify the contract, perhaps not even in year 1. His level of play is largely just driven by whoever his linemates happen to be, and I think there are many other passenger players out there you can find for a lot cheaper.

I am not sure bringing Lindholm back is the right move but I do understand it... and he is a 3C only in the same way that Garland is a 3RW... hell less so as Lindholm will get substantial PP and PK time. I would look at him much more to a RNH.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Probably posted already.

Saw that just now, a bit of good news I guess.

Again, I cannot overstate how good it feels to see that, our team is in the position to credibly and politely ask if players are willing to take a discount.

Five years ago if we asked the same question, the players' response would've been something along the lines of...
pVc2OYt.gif

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Imo horvat and lindholm are quite different not sure why people are comparing. Horvat has a better shot and prob better face off capability but lindholms game more well rounded especially for a 3c. Have people forgot horvats constant attempts at a one man rush through everyone and ending up in the back of the net more often than creating a goal?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I don't think you're thinking about it in the right way. Bluegar might be 60% of the player that Lindholm is (for argument's sake). And you might think that you can get 3 Bluegars for the cost of 1 Lindholm. But building a playoff caliber NHL team is not about adding up the collective value of the players relative to their cap hits. You need legitimate top 6 forwards and they cost a lot because they are rare. More and more, we're going to see a bi-modal salary distribution in the NHL - the lords and peasants split like we see in the NBA. And at 7M, that's less than the going rate for a top 6 C, especially one with PK, matchup and faceoff utility.
I have no problem with the idea of adding more top end talent, whether it's up front, or on the backend. I just don't think Lindholm is really a good top 6 player anymore, and if he is, it's borderline and will likely be fleeting (the down trend is hard to dismiss IMO). if they can't add a needle mover up front, I would look at allocating more cap to the defense. The difference in cost between Lindholm and Blueger is likely good second pair defenseman. If the right fit isn't there, go into the season with more cap flexibility than they've had in years. This team is only going to go as far as the core takes them, and Lindholm just didn't seem like a core guy to me. Committing $7MM(or worse) over max term would be like Eriksson/OEL all over again, except we have a lot more to lose at this part of our cycle.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Imo horvat and lindholm are quite different not sure why people are comparing. Horvat has a better shot and prob better face off capability but lindholms game more well rounded especially for a 3c. Have people forgot horvats constant attempts at a one man rush through everyone and ending up in the back of the net more often than creating a goal?
Lindholm is a better player than Horvat, but he’ll also be 1.5 years older when his deal starts vs when Horvat’s did.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don't quite get the Eriksson/Lindholm comparison.

Eriksson was coming off a career contract year. Lindholm is coming off a dip that seems to be strongly correlated with the turmoil that the Calgary Flames org has experienced the last two seasons.

Let's all remind ourselves of how bad and unproductive some of our players looked during our tumultuous Jim Benning/Travis Green/Bruce Boudreau seasons. And how well they then played once they were in an environment that played with structure and leadership. Is it unreasonable to think that Lindholm can't bounce back like that?

I'm simply not as pessimistic that Lindholm is on some great downslope of his career. I know us Canucks fans are conditioned to expect that from the Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel contracts. But this management and pro-scouting group seems to be making smart and informed bets and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they decide re-signing Lindholm is the right path.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't quite get the Eriksson/Lindholm comparison.

Eriksson was coming off a career contract year. Lindholm is coming off a dip that seems to be strongly correlated with the turmoil that the Calgary Flames org has experienced the last two seasons.

Let's all remind ourselves of how bad and unproductive some of our players looked during our tumultuous Jim Benning/Travis Green/Bruce Boudreau seasons. And how well they then played once they were in an environment that played with structure and leadership. Is it unreasonable to think that Lindholm can't bounce back like that?

I'm simply not as pessimistic that Lindholm is on some great downslope of his career. I know us Canucks fans are conditioned to expect that from the Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel contracts. But this management and pro-scouting group seems to be making smart and informed bets and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they decide re-signing Lindholm is the right path.

I think there’s a risk signing any guy heading into his 30s to a big term deal - but the Canucks’ window is opening now, and I think they’re looking at the next 2-4 years with this core and saying it’s time to go for it.

Whether Lindholm and Zadorov are re signed or they chase a different target, I don’t think this group is going to shy away from giving pieces they think can help them win term if it helps them compete for the next few years.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm of the opinion that while no one wants all these mega long term deals for these players, whomever it is, if they, the front office mandates, and sees this as a window of contention, the gm and those in charge will probably be willing to take huge extended risks in terms of facilitating short term gain for long term pain.

The shelf life of any gm or management group usually doesn't last the life of the contracts they sign, so why would they care about the last few yrs? The reality is most won't be around by the time these contracts are the teams ball and chain, and it'll be the new regimes problem to deal with.

If in the window they end up winning the cup, then no one will care about the crappy last few years of a players contract, cuz the objective has been seen through, everyone's happy.

We as fans want continuous success so we see the trapfalls and risks of all these, and the cost and negative effect of having to navigate around it, but we don't control shit besides putting money in the owners pockets to play the game as they choose. We all may be better gms than those in charge if given the reins, but we answer to no one but ourselves and our peers as a fan base.

In a small market like Ottawa, when melnyk was running it on food stamps, or Arizona pretty much their whole history, the objective was more to make profit and cost cutting everywhere. In Buffalo, when pegulas bought it, they threw insane amounts of money at players thinking it'd buy into being contenders.

Having said all that, point is, we've seen the mandate for this team is to contend every year, whatever the cost, irregardless of what the motive truly is, if it is to bring a cup, or if it's revenue driven.

I'd hope that we don't sign some of these rumored long term contracts for anyone that's in the latter half of their careers, but I'm prepared for such a scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. They just have to do it in a way where they balance the terms and amounts with smart picks, and trades. Where this regime has in short term, had success, and been strategic when they spent, benning f***ed up and was Santa Claus to everyone while also giving ridiculous contracts.
Good post
A few observations/guesses on my part...

The management team this off-season is looking more at 2 and 3 years from now...they want to send a message that this year was good but not good enough. They are letting their current UFA's and RFA know that you don't get an automatic invite back just because you outperformed your contract.

Signing Yugi had 2 effects.

The current team and A LOT of junior and other teams NHLers love working with him in the off-season. I assume that signing with Canucks will stop him working with other teams players in the off-season?

Also, players like Joshua, Zad, Bluger etc that had their production increase should wonder if that can stay the same elsewhere?

If July 1st comes and goes and there are some players that think they have untapped upside, sure as hell they will be contacting Nucks mgmt looking for 1 year show-me deals like this last off-season.
Another good post

Before there was Bettman and the "we are one" business approach to the game GM's tried to win cups. The exception may have been Chicago and Wirtz in the late 60 through to Rocky getting the team but that was an internal feud with the arean owner.
But back then GM's made deals to win the cup.

As a business a GM's job changed a bit. In Vancouver the last GM before Rutherford/Allvin to go hard to win a cup was Quinn and Gillis.
Burke was about "winning some kind of championship" he was a league first guy and Benning was about ...well who knows, wasting 8 to 10 years of really being competitive?

I think a GM's job now is more about selling out the arena during the regular season.
In Vancouver there was a transition from selling the team and the season to selling a player or players and a night's entertainment under Benning. Especially as independent radio shows were eliminated.
This started when the Sedins became larger than the team, the Horvat and Boeser were the reason to show up, then Pettersson and Hughes and even now why fans advocate for an 8 million dollar complimentary player for Hughes instead of improving the team defence overall.
Rutherford/Allvin have done something here that for years the bought media and the team have said couldn't be done in the new cap era even though there were posters that have maintained if other team's can, why not here? Make trades.
Vegas has super stars but they sell the team and it's performance, Florida isn't the Barkov's Bennett's or Bob's.
Pittsburgh signed their 4 core players but didn't stop and sit on their hands complaining about not able to make deals, they made plenty.
Gillis started his time here wondering if the Sedins were enough to carry the team.
Quinn made numerous trades to improve.
Benning/Linden didn't think it would be fair to put the Vancouver Sedins into a rebuild.
The team is the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

The next few weeks the fans have already been warned, "we may do things the fans don't like".
Can EP be on the trade block? One 100 point player?
Why not? the return should be monumental if not in a single player but in depth and overall skill increase. It certainly will increase the cap space and cap space allows for anything.
Can Hughes be on the block? Again, why not? The team lost more games with him than they have ever won. It isn't a one man team.
Colorado did something along those lines a decade ago and are still a powerhouse now.

I don't think posters can imagine the return for those two players and the impact on the team. Because they have been sold that one player being the team for close to a decade.

An EP trade might get 3 or 4 players/picks/prospects back plus millions in cap space.
QH, what won't Jersey not trade to get him with his brothers just for marketing, the same thing that went on here for a decade.
Utah, Columbus, Buffalo, Chicago, on and on just about every team in the league would be sharpening their pencils and working the adding machines to death for either of them.

For all the "insane" posts I wonder if this market now has the imagination of what is possible if winning is the goal? Without limitations, without pandering to get another 1500 fans in the seats all by thinking with the head instead of the heart. Instead of winning hearts as the goal, winning games is.

Edmonton traded Gretzky and won another cup, it wasn't until just about all those stars were traded that the team was losing. But that had more to do with an owner going broke than just a bad team.

What IF, by trading those two the team got 4 firsts, and 6 players under 24 yrs old. There is a list from just about every team, some have a much more impressive stable than others.

Rutherford/Allvin have shown they have the cajones to make bold trades.

Not much longer to wait to see what tomorrow might look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfj007

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I think there’s a risk signing any guy heading into his 30s to a big term deal - but the Canucks’ window is opening now, and I think they’re looking at the next 2-4 years with this core and saying it’s time to go for it.

Whether Lindholm and Zadorov are re signed or they chase a different target, I don’t think this group is going to shy away from giving pieces they think can help them win term if it helps them compete for the next few years.
They’re going to sign a bad contract to compete in the next few years, and they arguably should. They have to get it right though or the window is probably shut.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They’re going to sign a bad contract to compete in the next few years, and they arguably should. They have to get it right though or the window is probably shut.

IMO - they’re looking at the next three years before Hughes hits UFA. They’re going to want their captain and franchise defensemen to fully and firmly believe that this team is going for the Cup and contending. You never truly know what a guy is going to do when he starts looking at the prospect of hitting the open market (especially when both his brothers play on another team)

EDIT: I’m not saying Hughes would go - maybe he does or doesn’t. But the Canucks would be foolish not to consider the possibility and look at these next three years as their chance to go for it.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
IMO - they’re looking at the next three years before Hughes hits UFA. They’re going to want their captain and franchise defensemen to fully and firmly believe that this team is going for the Cup and contending. You never truly know what a guy is going to do when he starts looking at the prospect of hitting the open market (especially when both his brothers play on another team)

EDIT: I’m not saying Hughes would go - maybe he does or doesn’t. But the Canucks would be foolish not to consider the possibility and look at these next three years as their chance to go for it.
Unless management absolutely nails drafting and pro scouting acquisitions (free agents/trades), I think 3 years might be our best window regardless considering Miller’s age and Demko/Hughes’s next contracts.

Reactions: theguardianII

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Senators shopping Mathieu Joseph.

A league executive said Tuesday the club is trying to move winger Mathieu Joseph before the draft.

This is a post for an audience of one and that is me. I actually think he’d he an excellent fit on this team. Fast, strong penalty killer, great on the forecheck, has enough offensive skill to hang in the top-6 for a bit, and does throw the body (although doesn’t come close to replacing Joshua’s physicality). I get the argument for not needing to eat up cap space with him but…I do not care I just really like him as a player.

There is also other stuff in there like Tkachuk is willing to wait out this season, they’ll go hard after Tanev, and Giroux isn’t getting dealt.

A target in free agency will be Dallas Stars defenceman Chris Tanev. The Senators made a hard push for the veteran blueliner, but couldn’t convince him to waive his ‘no move’ clause to come here from the Calgary Flames because it’s believed Ottawa was on his list.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

A league executive said Tuesday the club is trying to move winger Mathieu Joseph before the draft.

This is a post for an audience of one and that is me. I actually think he’d he an excellent fit on this team. Fast, strong penalty killer, great on the forecheck, has enough offensive skill to hang in the top-6 for a bit, and does throw the body (although doesn’t come close to replacing Joshua’s physicality). I get the argument for not needing to eat up cap space with him but…I do not care I just really like him as a player.

There is also other stuff in there like Tkachuk is willing to wait out this season, they’ll go hard after Tanev, and Giroux isn’t getting dealt.

A target in free agency will be Dallas Stars defenceman Chris Tanev. The Senators made a hard push for the veteran blueliner, but couldn’t convince him to waive his ‘no move’ clause to come here from the Calgary Flames because it’s believed Ottawa was on his list.

I've said it before and I'll said it again - with proper coaching Ottawa has the potential to break out next year like the Canucks did this past year. Don't know if Travis is that guy, but the talent is there.

Selfishly I was hoping Giroux would want out at some point as I think he'd be a great fit next to Petey and can also take face-offs while playing the wing, but it seems like he's staying put for family reasons.

Reactions: ginner classic

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I've said it before and I'll said it again - with proper coaching Ottawa has the potential to break out next year like the Canucks did this past year. Don't know if Travis is that guy, but the talent is there.

Selfishly I was hoping Giroux would want out at some point as I think he'd be a great fit next to Petey and can also take face-offs while playing the wing, but it seems like he's staying put for family reasons.

Only way they trade Giroux is they are close to the deadline, are out of it, and he chooses a destination. Exact same situation as with the Flyers.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Only way they trade Giroux is they are close to the deadline, are out of it, and he chooses a destination. Exact same situation as with the Flyers.

I think with him being from the area, his family settling in there, and his age, I don't even know if he'd want to do a final shot at a cup elsewhere at this point.

For some people, there's more to life than the cup, and from what's come out of his camp while there it seems like family comes first, and I can respect that.

Reactions: Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Your boy

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think with him being from the area, his family settling in there, and his age, I don't even know if he'd want to do a final shot at a cup elsewhere at this point.

For some people, there's more to life than the cup, and from what's come out of his camp while there it seems like family comes first, and I can respect that.

Yeah, that’s why I said he chooses a destination. He has a full NMC so has all the control. If the Senators aren’t in playoff contention by the deadline they have bigger problems than Giroux anyway.

Reactions: thecupismine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad