Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 4-3 (OT) vs Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Just re-watching the last half of the third, Myers is such a tire fire. Constantly following forwards up towards his OWN blueline, not playing his side of the net, not rotating properly. OEL covered for him tons of times but you can see how much chaos those kinds of plays cause.

Not impressed by his turtle defence on the OT goal either, or his penalty...didn't see the replay but it looks like he kicked his leg out to trip the guy?
Guys like Myers play better when things get dumbed down for them. Sutter is a master of that, he made Gudbranson look serviceable, he also sheltered the f*** outta him and only played him against bottom 6 lines whenever he could, but still.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I was cool with bringing him back. I was not cool with bringing back Boeser and the same d-core.
I am confident that the Canucks would be off to a much better start under a coach who deploys his players better.

I.E, not playing the 4th line so much. Playing faster players in 3 on 3.

4th line was the best line this game, but if you deploy your top players more over the previous 4 games, I think you win 2, maybe 3 of these games. Same with the mindboggling 3 on 3 decisions.

Also, sitting guys like Garland and Hoglander over Pearson, Miller, Boeser etc makes no sense.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
how many more losses before bruce is in the hot seat?

not managements hire, rumors they looked at other coaches in the off season

i think this management group is super concerned about optics and pr. firing bruce this early would make them look weak

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Again the look on their faces at the end of the game says alot. Literally looks like they stopped caring.
Did they look like they stopped caring or did they look gassed and exhausted from that frantic action? (along with the cumulative effect of it being their 4th game in 6th night). In my opinion, it was the latter.

They would have lost by 3-4 goals had they not cared imo.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The team is not this bad, at least I hope, but the team isn’t good either. Multiple flaws, too many passengers, defense is atrocious, and goaltending isn’t bailing them out.

I don’t see how is gets better in the next two years. Management could have created some flexibility by letting Boeser walk and trading Miller but now, they’ve locked in with this group which is ugly.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
At this right I’ll be surprised if Hughes even plays 50 games this season. He already looks exhausted and is getting worn down.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
f***...at least Benning and Green provided the memes.

ReliableCheerfulChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

CalmEnchantedFritillarybutterfly-max-1mb.gif

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Getting comical. 4-0-1 after 40 minutes. 0-3-2 after 65.

Team overall really didn't play that badly on this road trip. Tonight, again, against a good team after a slow start they played really well for the most part. Started the 3rd period well. And then Pearson takes a dumb penalty and the wheels just totally fall off. Team has no belief and this is in their heads.

- this is the worst I've seen Demko play since he was in Utica, and maybe not even then. Just looks sloppy. Not tracking the puck well, a couple uncharacteristic terrible rebounds and generally not inspiring confidence. You wonder how much the injury at the end of last season is still affecting him.

- Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin were easily our best line and generated a ton of chances and 10 SOG. But Podkolzin plays 11 minutes tonight and Boeser plays 19. This is how you lose games from a winning position.

- great game for the 4th line. I didn't have a lot of faith in them but they showed something today. Joshua is frustrating with his physical inconsistency and is slow as hell but he's a load along the boards and has suprisingly nice hands and offensive instincts. Nice first goal for Aman.

- Miller line didn't hurt the team as badly as previous games but Miller still struggled badly. Thought Mikheyev did a lot of dirty work to clean up the turnovers of his C.

- Garland really didn't respond all that well to the benching. Looked the same as the first 3 games.

- Horvat is really trying to lead by example here. Playing well and skating hard the past 3 games. He's part of the solution right now, not part of the problem.

- Pearson made a nice pass on the 1-1 goal but when you have 0 goals and 5 minor penalties in the first 5 games you're not helping your team overall. Weirdly he seems to be skating pretty well but just so many dumb stick penalties.

- prediction : Brock Boeser is playing in Europe before his 30th birthday. Absolutely abysmal effort on the 1-0 goal tonight, then an abysmal shift in OT. For the last year he's looked like a lazier Kyle Wellwood.

- until the OT shift I thought Tyler Myers played a really solid game, and that pairing did a good job.

- Burroughs again looks like a quality #4-5 RD. Found money right now. Skating, competing, moving the puck surprisingly well.

- Stillman skates and competes well but it's becoming apparent he simply doesn't think the game well enough to be anywhere higher than #8 on the depth chart.

- Boudreau continues to be clueless in OT. Miller Boeser? Dumb. Not playing Kuzmenko? Dumb.

It continues to boggle the mind that players don't skate to the bench for a new stick when they're defending/PKing and their stick breaks. Takes 5 seconds. Instead, time and again you see the player utterly useless for 30 seconds while the opposition passes the puck around and scores.

When you have a PP with 5 minutes left in a tie game, PLAY THE #1 UNIT FOR THE WHOLE THING. This isn't a charity. These guys aren't gassed after passing the puck around for 70 seconds. It's just a total failure to optimize the skills of your best players in the best opportunities for them to score.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If they lose on Saturday the booing will be defeaning.

Looking forward to someone throwing a jersey on the ice.

If they lose on Saturday, the boos will be super loud. They cannot crap the bed on Saturday for their home opener. I think more than jerseys will be thrown, I suspect food and alcohol will be thrown.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It really doesn't look like any of the core except for EP40 actually did any serious training this past summer.
This is so true.

Miller looks like he gained 10lbs and spent the summer golfing and being a dad.

His golf buddy Boeser obviously had some mental anguish to deal with but it looks like he's a ghost and the game is too fast for him. He's not even a good player in any facet right now just a complete passenger. As someone said he looks like the guys at the winter classic playing in the old timers game.

Horvat always comes back sluggish although i give him credit the last 2 games he's looked good.

Man some soul searching is in need from all over the organization right now

Reactions: mathonwy and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If they lose on Saturday, the boos will be super loud. They cannot crap the bed on Saturday for their home opener. I think more than jerseys will be thrown, I suspect food and alcohol will be thrown.

I don’t think it’ll go as far as food and beer because those stop getting served halfway through the third and is expensive. MAYBE if they are getting blown out but that’s not happened yet.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's not a matter of getting their heads out of their asses....

The facts:
Hughes sucks on D.
Boeser is a replacement level forward.
Miller is a winger being forced into a top 6 C role.
This team lacks puck moving D.
This team also lacks defensive D.

All this is masked when we get .920 SV% goaltending.

This team was massively flawed and it becomes more evident when we get average goaltending.
Wait.....were getting average goaltending?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Guilty

I think the longevity worries were totally valid

That is until you saw the f***ing peanuts contract he signed for and then knowing it would have taken less.
Exactly this plus knowing we'd replace him with something worse. 75% of the reason we pine for Tanev is because it's been 3 seasons and we still don't have a legitimate top 4 RD on the roster (Myers is a 4/5 to me). There's a slew of guys that have moved teams since then that if we'd landed them, we wouldn't be talking about Tanev.

Don't get me wrong I wish we kept him, especially on that contract and for the locker room, but we miss him way more than we should.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another game, another blown third period lead. Hands up anyone who thought they'd actually hold or build on a 3-2 lead?

But as long as the Canucks best players are basically going through the motions, they aren't going to win. Miller and Hughes have been borderline catastrophic since the season started. And OEL looks like a stationary bike out there, just flipping his stick out at forecheckers. And Myers is what he is, basically a turnover machine.

Even the coach appears to have lost it.....i mean Myers and Boeser in OT. Seriously? It's like playing 3 on 3 OT with a fire hydrant and a pylon. Meantime guys like Garland, Mikhayev and Kuzmenko are stapled to the pine.

In retrospect, the team going 32-15 down the stretch last years was a sad mistake. If they'd been consistently bad throughout the year, they'd have blown it up in off-season. But like Benning before him, Rutherford and Alvin were fooled by this country-club roster. Now it' s too late.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
But Podkolzin plays 11 minutes tonight and Boeser plays 19. This is how you lose games from a winning position.
Bingo. This is the crux of the issue, in my opinion. Deployment. What the **** has Boeser done to be played this much? He is a negative presence on the ice. He no longer has his shot. He skates slowly. He thinks slowly. He's beyond soft. He's not good defensively.

Playing good players more and 4th liners/has beens less will be an immediate improvement. If the coach makes better decisions re: deployment, this team is like mid standings at worst right now.

Reactions: geebaan

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Biggest question is why was Boeser out in OT???? And why not call a timeout in the last part of the late PP and keep the first unit out???? They looked like they might do something, where as the second group was entirely useless. Might give some credit to the team for putting in a decent effort on the end of of road trip but again couldn't hold a lead.

Good

Aman - showed some touch on his goal and is maybe their best skating center. Covers so much ice and is competing along the boards well.

Joshua - showed ability on two of the goals and ok in the run of the play. Good job on the forecheck along with Lazar

Burroughs - most mobile of the defensemen. When you factor in play in their zone Burroughs >>>Hughes

Horvat - another solid effort. Emerging as our best overall forward after a tough start

Not Good

Pettersson - back to what he was doing at the beginning of last season. Trying to do too much. Over handling the puck and forcing passes and shots. Needs to let the play come to him and make the simple play. Effort is there and, I guess he is trying to carry the team, but creating a lot of disorganization all over the ice. Shot widely inaccurate most of the time

Miller - is he in shape???? Lags at the end of every shift and then starts to make desperation plays to get out of trouble. Plays like this and we are sunk well into the future.

Myers - clumsy effort. Getting pushed into defensive hockey in his own end. Best when he is moving up to keep puck in the other end and breaking up plays in the neutral zone or at the top of the defensive zone.

Hughes - another very bad game in his end. Just getting man-handled and shoved out of the play. Also mishandling the puck which is allowing the forecheck to get in on him and forcing him into puck battles. His play has been huge in causing the problems the team is having.

Pearson - makes a couple of plays a game but too slow in the run of the play and taking way too many penalties. Not suited to the high speed nature of the present NHL.

Schenn - looked bagged and unable to provide the protection or back up coverage Hughes needs

Ugly

Boeser - hard to say this, and certainly gives no pleasure to say it, but doubt he could be effective in the AHL at this point. Buy-out (next off-season) could substantially reduce his cap hit (get him down to 2,217, 677 against the cap) and might have to considered moving ahead.

Canucks again got bounced around with little push back. You wonder how long Stillman will be out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad