Post-Game Talk: Canucks Def. Penguins | 5-1 | Pearson, Horvat (2), Kuzmenko, & Miller

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
WHEN: October 28th, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks' Line-Up:

To be updated but not much to choose from

J.T. Miller -- Bo Horvat -- Conor Garland

Andrei Kuzmenko -- Elias Pettersson -- Ilya Mikheyev

Nils Hoglander -- Sheldon Dries -- Tanner Pearson

Dakota Joshua -- Nils Aman -- Vasily Podkolzin

Oliver Ekman-Larsson -- Tyler Myers

Guillaume Brisebois -- Luke Schenn

Jack Rathbone -- Kyle Burroughs

Spencer Martin

Thatcher Demko

Scratched: Noah Juulsen, Jack Studnicka, Ethan Bear

Penquins Line-Up:
Danton Heinen -- Evgeni Malkin -- Jeff Carter

Brock McGinn -- Sam Poulin -- Kasperi Kapanen

Drake Caggiula -- Ryan Poehling -- Josh Archibald

Brian Dumoulin -- Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson -- Jeff Petry

Pierre-Olivier Joseph -- Jan Rutta

Tristan Jarry

Casey DeSmith

So game night has a few possibilities or scenario's

Regardless this is the 2nd of a back to back for the Canucks and the Penquins have been waiting and are rested. A "scheduled" win for the Pens.

The Canucks are either trying for their second win or to not be zero wins in October.

Penquins are choked, they got schooled by the Flames for a period getting only 3 shots in the offensive zone in the first period and only 6 altogether in the third Losing 4 - 1.

Canucks will be tired and will Demko play? I guess that depends on the Seattle game's results

Pens are all healthy and scoring like Crosby and Malkin were 25 instead of 35. The Pens are one of the highest scoring team in the league so far.

Didn't see anything wrong with starting pregame talk the day before.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
WHEN: October 28th, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks' Line-Up:

To be updated but not much to choose from

Garland - Horvat - Miller
Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Pearson - Dries - Hoglander
Joshua - Åman - Podkolzin

OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Burroughs
Brisebois-Schenn

Demko

Penquins Line-Up:

???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

???-???
???-???
???-???
????

So game night has a few possibilities or scenario's

Regardless this is the 2nd of a back to back for the Canucks and the Penquins have been waiting and are rested. A "scheduled" win for the Pens.

The Canucks are either trying for their second win or to not be zero wins in October.

Penquins are choked
, they got schooled by the Flames for a period getting only 3 shots in the offensive zone in the first period and only 6 altogether in the third Losing 4 - 1.

Canucks will be tired and will Demko play? I guess that depends on the Seattle game's results

Pens are all healthy and scoring like Crosby and Malkin were 25 instead of 35. The Pens are one of the highest scoring team in the league so far.

Didn't see anything wrong with starting pregame talk the day before.
image.png.1ddd897f8e3b1d628c5852ee74e52908.png

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I put money on the Pens.

Lets go!
It’s not impossible to just miss playoffs and still end up winning the lottery.

Top 2 pick will save this franchise. You just have to ship OEL , whatever many picks it takes.

If we get Top 2, PM, well then we have a chance

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Here’s hoping that last night’s win puts some bounce in the Canucks’ step and they come out hard in front of the home fans.

Tall order to be playing Crosby and the Penguins, but hope they dig deep.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Last nights game was well, just hard to describe.

Pearson, Miller and even Horvat came out with a different plan, I have heard about the tactic attack the defence but usually it means forechecking but those guys seemed to think of it literally. Their first shifts looked like it was take no prisoners.

I don't think they will do that today.

The Pens no doubt watched some of the game so they will be more prepared.

Don't know if there any injuries but Myers and OEL played jut about half the game, 26 to 28 mins, they will be bagged in the third period.

Canucks might playing a little looser after getting a win but it is a "scheduled" win for the Pens.

One win for the Canucks is not a streak.

Really tired of hearing about ALL the injuries to the defence, most of those players were not even regulars on the teams they came from and didn't have 50 games with the Canucks, might as well include any AHL dmen as well.
Just because these injured guys are listed as being on the team doesn't mean they were good on the team. Media shows are making an excuse for the team, the D is still not good even with those guys.

I think the Pens don't have too much trouble tonight.

This game is probably a blow out, maybe the worst loss of the year.

But if the Canucks win they could jump all the way up from 31rst to 26th in the league.

Pens 8 Van 2

Last edited:

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
I'm expecting a bad loss tonight. Absolutely zero hope going into this game. I'm just picturing the Pens PP vs our PK units, its going to be a bloodbath.

Last night's win actually made me feel worse about the team, not better. That's a game they should have lost, but I guess it was nice to steal a win for a change.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Going to take a guess that JT Miller is not dressing up tonight based on the rumored sighting last night.

Unless he was wearing a massive giant boot for fashion.

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kryten

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think we are getting waxed today unless we get .950+ goaltending

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Would love to have a team one day with even half of the competitive longevity of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Haven't missed the playoffs since 05/06.

They always have a shot to go far. Every season. Wouldn't it be nice going into every season knowing you have a legitimate shot at a Stanley Cup? For over 15 years straight?

Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Penguins did not play well in Alberta and they are going to be motivated. Even with the tough past couple of games they remain top 10 in chance generation this young season.

Canucks might have some pressure lifted but we've been through this so often with this general group of players...they just don't really seem to build on things. Always up and down except for like a 30 game stint last season.

I don't even pretend to know what might happen on the scoreboard but I'm pretty confident the canuck goaltender is going to have to make twice as many saves as the Penguins goaltender to win this one. Just like last night.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Would love to have a team one day with even half of the competitive longevity of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Haven't missed the playoffs since 05/06.

They always have a shot to go far. Every season. Wouldn't it be nice going into every season knowing you have a legitimate shot at a Stanley Cup? For over 15 years straight?
That's what happens when a team tanks and drafts top players.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022

The Pens are an example of what happens when that strategy works, for sure. That team was inches away from moving to Kansas before they started getting all those top picks, which they then used wisely, developed correctly and retained or converted into further value through competent contract management. But there are too many examples of franchises being stuck in perennial tanking mode because they draft poorly and/or don't develop players correctly and/or mismanage contracts and trades and cannot transition into competitive mode properly. The upper management of this franchise makes me think we'd be more likely to be of the latter variety rather than the next Pens.

Reactions: Indiana

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Pens are an example of what happens when that strategy works, for sure. That team was inches away from moving to Kansas before they started getting all those top picks, which they then used wisely, developed correctly and retained or converted into further value through competent contract management. But there are too many examples of franchises being stuck in perennial tanking mode because they draft poorly and/or don't develop players correctly and/or mismanage contracts and trades and cannot transition into competitive mode properly. The upper management of this franchise makes me think we'd be more likely to be of the latter variety rather than the next Pens.
Pretty convenient wasn't it.:sarcasm::naughty:

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
?
Our management group came from that Pens team.

Reactions: Indiana

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Bonino was a pretty solid piece that gave the Pens both a useful player (think he meshed well with Kessell???) and gave them some more cap flexability (instead of the higher paid player at the time Sutter). Benning even offered an upgraded pick just because he's Jethro Bodine. JR merely returned this *HUGE* favor by later taking NoGoodBranSuck off our hands.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pens are a team that makes the most of smart scouting and signings to supplement the core they have. They always target and make the best use of guys like Kunitz, Dupuis, etc

And just when you think that surely they are done competing they pull out a Guetzel or Rust and they support the core for another 6+ years....

Obviously having a generational player or two helps a great deal.

Reactions: Kreator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad